PDA

View Full Version : How long can the DOJ hold

MilSim
09-08-2009, 10:21 PM
How long can the DOJ hold up your DROS?
There attempting to get the decision from ak old case that was dismissed. Since the case was dismissed, I've bought three firearms and it hasn't come up till now. So the question would be how long can they hold you past the 10 day waiting period?

CHS
09-08-2009, 10:33 PM
How long can the DOJ hold up your DROS?
There attempting to get the decision from ak old case that was dismissed. Since the case was dismissed, I've bought three firearms and it hasn't come up till now. So the question would be how long can they hold you past the 10 day waiting period?

As long as they want.

And if it goes more than 30 days, federal law says you have to re-dros.

In my experience though, DoJ is actually pretty quick to resolve issues. Sure, they are a bureaucracy and all, but when you get the individuals on the phone they're pretty good about fixing stuff.

The key here is to talk to them and talk to them often. Don't be afraid to call them every single day for updates. Also, GET THE NAME of the person you initially deal with, and keep asking for the same person as it will speed things along when dealing with only one person at the DoJ.

MilSim
09-08-2009, 10:36 PM
Thank you very much. I'm thinking of just faxing my copy of the dismissal. What do you think?

CHS
09-08-2009, 10:49 PM
Thank you very much. I'm thinking of just faxing my copy of the dismissal. What do you think?

Call them, ask them SPECIFICALLY what the issue is. If it can be solved with a copy of the dismissal, tell them you have a copy ready to fax and ask them for the fax number that they want you to send it to. Send it and then call back in an hour.

Like I said, they will be helpful but you must constantly follow-up if you want things to move quickly.

MilSim
09-08-2009, 10:50 PM
Thanks again. Will do.

CHS
09-08-2009, 10:53 PM
Good luck and keep us posted one way or the other!

anthonyca
09-08-2009, 10:54 PM
Do you mean dismissed as in the DA dismissed the charges after charging you but you were never convicted or is was dismissed by a writ or motion to vacate? Or do you mean 1204.3 expungemnet?

MilSim
09-08-2009, 11:50 PM
I think the first one. What's the difference?

MilSim
09-09-2009, 7:04 PM
I faxed my copies of the dismissal to DOJ, I called right after to make sure they were recieved. The lady told me that the individual handling my stuff will review them to find there authenticity. I just dont understand since this has never come up before. I called my lawyer and he said they shouldnt even be looking at it, its a dismissed case. Oh well now I gotta call them tomorrow at 2 or 3 and check the status. This is stupid. Whats the point of having NCIS if you dont leave it at that.:mad:

CavTrooper
09-09-2009, 7:08 PM
And if it goes more than 30 days, federal law says you have to re-dros.

Since when has the FED been concerned with the DROS?

ke6guj
09-09-2009, 7:25 PM
Since when has the FED been concerned with the DROS?I think he meant that you have to fill out a new 4473 if it has been more than 30 days from when you first signed it.

CHS
09-09-2009, 7:56 PM
Since when has the FED been concerned with the DROS?

Federal law says that if you don't pick up your firearm within 30 days from the background check, you must undergo the background check again.

In CA, the DROS serves the background check function. Hence, re-DROS.

You don't actually have to do another 4473. Just the DROS.