PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Garand Experts- Please help

SilverSalmon
09-08-2009, 9:55 PM
I'm a newbie, desperately trying to learn and need your help on selecting a Great shooting Garand.

I'm trying to build my newbie arsenal, and wanted a battle rifle with the same ammo as my long rifle. i just purchased a Springfield Remy 700 in 30.06, which is way i chose a Garand for my battle piece. After doing some research, i see that you can get in trouble with unreputable dealers (rewelds and etc.) So I'm currently looking at Garand Guy, miltech, Fulton Armory, and Orion 7 for a great shooter. Really don't want to wait for CMP (too long) It doesn't have to be all correct, but I DO WANT A DAMN GOOD SHOOTER I CAN BE PRIDE OF I can stand next to a M1A without regret. This gun will be my main battle rifle, not a closet queen.

1. What dealer should I buy from, among the sellers I listed above or others you know and trust? Which grade? Best bang for buck? someone suggested Super premium Grade from Garand guy?

2. Are there any other battle rifles in 30.06 i should consider?

3. i want to learn all I can about this weapon: restoring, refinishing, field stripping, rebuilding, my own gun smithing and etc. Any book or resource recommendations? I see this being longterm for me. I'm a newbie, but avid researcher and dilligent reader and etc.

4. how can i speak this Garand language you folks speak ;-) ?

ocabj
09-08-2009, 10:13 PM
You can always just buy one from the for sale section on this forum. Quite a few Garands hit the boards.

My friend was selling a bunch of milsurps. I'll email him a link to your post in case he still has some Garands left. Are you in Southern California?

If you want to buy one rebuilt by a gunsmith, Don Gussler in Santee works on the M1 (including National Match builds for Service Rifle competitions).

xzw151
09-08-2009, 10:24 PM
For your first question go with the Garand Guy. He is honest as the day is long, and he does very nice work too. I have 2 of his rifles and I can not recommend him highly enough. He's a very nice guy too. I remember reading somewhere that UPS lost a guy's personal CMP rack grade rifle he sent for some work and he sent a Premium grade as a replacement at no extra cost.

2. There are a few other battle rifles in 30-06 you can consider. The Springfield 1903, 1903a3, US Model 1917, and the FN-49, which was also produced in other calibers so be careful. I own an M-1, M1903 mk I, and a 1917 and my favorite is the M-1 but that's just me. The FN-49 is semi-auto as well so that may be fun.

3. I can't really help you with the book material, but if you go with the Garand Guy you wont really need or want to restore it. If you really want a project, buy a Barreled Reciever from the CMP or a CMP rack grade and go that route.

4. Read, lurk, etc.
http://www.surplusrifle.com/garand/index.asp should answer some of your questions and they have a whole forum dedicated to surplus firearms, including the Garand. I bet that and other sites would answer most of your questions.

Hope that helps some, I'm sure other will have good things to add as well.

SilverSalmon
09-08-2009, 10:55 PM
You can always just buy one from the for sale section on this forum. Quite a few Garands hit the boards.

My friend was selling a bunch of milsurps. I'll email him a link to your post in case he still has some Garands left. Are you in Southern California?

If you want to buy one rebuilt by a gunsmith, Don Gussler in Santee works on the M1 (including National Match builds for Service Rifle competitions).

I'm in Escondido. I lost a great GARAND ON THIS BOARD, because i was scared to buy it after my research on rewelds and etc. i knew just enough info to make me dangerous to myself lol! :D Turned out to be a great rifle, but it's SPF. Too late :mad: Thank so much for the info. Does Don Gussler have a website?

freonr22
09-08-2009, 11:02 PM
warrifles.com

SilverSalmon
09-08-2009, 11:03 PM
For your first question go with the Garand Guy. He is honest as the day is long, and he does very nice work too. I have 2 of his rifles and I can not recommend him highly enough. He's a very nice guy too. I remember reading somewhere that UPS lost a guy's personal CMP rack grade rifle he sent for some work and he sent a Premium grade as a replacement at no extra cost.

2. There are a few other battle rifles in 30-06 you can consider. The Springfield 1903, 1903a3, US Model 1917, and the FN-49, which was also produced in other calibers so be careful. I own an M-1, M1903 mk I, and a 1917 and my favorite is the M-1 but that's just me. The FN-49 is semi-auto as well so that may be fun.

3. I can't really help you with the book material, but if you go with the Garand Guy you wont really need or want to restore it. If you really want a project, buy a Barreled Reciever from the CMP or a CMP rack grade and go that route.

4. Read, lurk, etc.
http://www.surplusrifle.com/garand/index.asp should answer some of your questions and they have a whole forum dedicated to surplus firearms, including the Garand. I bet that and other sites would answer most of your questions.

Hope that helps some, I'm sure other will have good things to add as well.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions. Good advice. About restoring and etc. even if I go Grand Guy, i still want to know about restoration and etc. i feel it's a damn good way to learn and appreciate this rifle. my brain is just wired that way: i make my own cheese, brew my own beer, cider, and mead, and grow much of my own food. I can't help myself, i'm a binge researcher, and tinkerer :D i wanna love this rifle properly, so that it may be my only battle rifle,and that I know it well, like no other.

NRAhighpowershooter
09-09-2009, 6:59 AM
well.. if you are local to the east bay area..and want to hold on for a week.. I might have 2-3 more of my Garands for sale....as well as a coule of my M1 Carbines..........

Bongos
09-09-2009, 7:10 AM
Get Scott Duff's books on WWII and Post WWII M1 Garands! These books will give you everything you want to know about the M1 Garands as well as Historical correct collecting. If you are in Irvine, I have a buddy whom is trimming down his Garand collection, I can see if he has any left (I know he is still kicking himself for selling his shooter Garand...the worst condition garand in his arsenal yet the bet shooter in the bunch!!!:43:).

B Strong
09-09-2009, 7:13 AM
Get Scott Duff's books on WWII and Post WWII M1 Garands! These books will give you everything you want to know about the M1 Garands as well as Historical correct collecting. If you are in Irvine, I have a buddy whom is trimming down his Garand collection, I can see if he has any left (I know he is still kicking himself for selling his shooter Garand...the worst condition garand in his arsenal yet the bet shooter in the bunch!!!:43:).

+1.

On any Garand, unless you're going to get into top level service rifle match shooting, keep it as simple as possible. You don't need a super cyro match barrel to fire good groups. You should look into the DCM as well.

ocabj
09-09-2009, 7:41 AM
I'm in Escondido. I lost a great GARAND ON THIS BOARD, because i was scared to buy it after my research on rewelds and etc. i knew just enough info to make me dangerous to myself lol! :D Turned out to be a great rifle, but it's SPF. Too late :mad: Thank so much for the info. Does Don Gussler have a website?

As far as I know, he doesn't have a website. His email address is: dgussler@cox.net

maxx424
09-09-2009, 7:46 AM
XZW151

I’m the guy that had the CPM grand that was lost. Here is the total story. Some time back I purchased a Garand from the Garand Guy as a college graduation present for my son. When it arrived it was so nice I decided he was not going to be the only one to have such a nice rifle so I called Tony and ordered a second. Not two weeks later CMP called and said that the 8 month wait for a Garand was up and did I want one. Decided to get it anyway since it was something like $450 shipped. Fast forward a couple of years. The CPM Garand just never shot well. Decided to ship it to Tony for a new barrel. We had some confusion and Tony thought I was shipping him back one of the ones purchased from him so he quoted $150 instead of the standard $325 for replacing the barrel. When he got the rife the mistake was discovered. I offered to pay the difference since it was just an honest misunderstanding. Nope – he insisted on doing the work for the $150. Tony is usually very fast so after a few weeks I asked what was going on. Short answer was that the rifle was lost. Tony said he would replace it with one of his super premium rifles. Go look at his web site and you can see what they go for! This to replace a $450 rifle. I said that was too much so he said then he would send a premium grade rifle which he did. Again – go look at the web site. Tony is honest as the day is long and he is the only guy I would consider getting a Garand from. As a post script I got a call about a month after all of this transpired and Tony had found the CMP rifle. He offered to exchange it or just let me keep the one he had sent.

Silversalmon - if you are in the bay area you are more than welcome to see the quality of Tony's rifles. If you like you can also take one for a test spin.

SilverSalmon
09-09-2009, 7:58 AM
As far as I know, he doesn't have a website. His email address is: dgussler@cox.net

Thank you Sir!

SilverSalmon
09-09-2009, 8:02 AM
XZW151

Im the guy that had the CPM grand that was lost. Here is the total story. Some time back I purchased a Garand from the Garand Guy as a college graduation present for my son. When it arrived it was so nice I decided he was not going to be the only one to have such a nice rifle so I called Tony and ordered a second. Not two weeks later CMP called and said that the 8 month wait for a Garand was up and did I want one. Decided to get it anyway since it was something like $450 shipped. Fast forward a couple of years. The CPM Garand just never shot well. Decided to ship it to Tony for a new barrel. We had some confusion and Tony thought I was shipping him back one of the ones purchased from him so he quoted $150 instead of the standard $325 for replacing the barrel. When he got the rife the mistake was discovered. I offered to pay the difference since it was just an honest misunderstanding. Nope he insisted on doing the work for the $150. Tony is usually very fast so after a few weeks I asked what was going on. Short answer was that the rifle was lost. Tony said he would replace it with one of his super premium rifles. Go look at his web site and you can see what they go for! This to replace a $450 rifle. I said that was too much so he said then he would send a premium grade rifle which he did. Again go look at the web site. Tony is honest as the day is long and he is the only guy I would consider getting a Garand from. As a post script I got a call about a month after all of this transpired and Tony had found the CMP rifle. He offered to exchange it or just let me keep the one he had sent.

Silversalmon - if you are in the bay area you are more than welcome to see the quality of Tony's rifles. If you like you can also take one for a test spin.

I'm actually in he Bay area for a wedding ion Los Gatos today. i didn't see operating hours on Tony's website, looks like he only sells by Internet. if I can pick one up this week and walk, I'll put cash in his hands. Period.

SilverSalmon
09-09-2009, 8:04 AM
well.. if you are local to the east bay area..and want to hold on for a week.. I might have 2-3 more of my Garands for sale....as well as a coule of my M1 Carbines..........

I'm in the East bay this week. I will leave Saturday. If you have a good shooter in good longterm condition, I can keep forever and pass on, not rewelded and etc. i definitely will be interested in purchasing it.

maxx424
09-09-2009, 12:12 PM
Tony is on the east coast so you are going to have a bit of a drive! My $.02 is it would be worth the wait - like one week - to have Tony ship you one of his.

paladin4415
09-09-2009, 2:20 PM
The finest Garand builder in the history of the rifle lives 30 minutes from you in Santee, Don (Mac) McCoy. He will happily built, fix, or check anything you would like him to.

SilverSalmon
09-09-2009, 10:27 PM
The finest Garand builder in the history of the rifle lives 30 minutes from you in Santee, Don (Mac) McCoy. He will happily built, fix, or check anything you would like him to.

Do you have a contact fro him?

paladin4415
09-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Do you have a contact fro him?

PM sent.

Someguy925
09-10-2009, 2:42 PM
2. Are there any other battle rifles in 30.06 i should consider?

http://www.ohioordnanceworks.com/semi-auto/SLR-semi.html - If you want to get some more 30-06 stuff.

SilverSalmon
09-10-2009, 3:55 PM
http://www.ohioordnanceworks.com/semi-auto/SLR-semi.html - If you want to get some more 30-06 stuff.

Nice, but that baby weighs 19 pounds, plus 3,500 USD. I can get a Dean's Guns Garand with hybrid stock and NM for that kind of money. lol! Thanks though, i never knew of this beauty in semi auto. Thank you very much.

Someguy925
09-10-2009, 6:08 PM
I met someone at On-Target that had this. It was a hoot to shoot.