PDA

View Full Version : M14 / M1A restricted for sale in California.

HEUER
06-18-2005, 12:26 PM
I purchased another M1A (loaded model blue/walnut) this week ( prices have gone up since 1999) and heard some customers stating that Sacramento is considering restricting the sale of the M14 type rifle in California. Has anyone else heard about this, or is this just nervous speculation?

50 Freak
06-18-2005, 2:37 PM
Sacramento is always contiplating banning one thing or another. Their going to have a hard time banning a M-14/M1A rifle. To many people have them and they are not considered "evil black rifles".

CaliTheKid
06-18-2005, 2:39 PM
I have not but I just bought a SOCOM coincidentally. I do know that there are a few weapons that are constantly between the cross hairs of the grabbers such as the semi-auto shotguns so it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. Look what happened to the .50's =(

stealthmode
06-18-2005, 2:46 PM
so if the m14 type rifles were to be made into assault weapons would those of us that already have them be able to make them full ebr's with folding stocks and such?

i will have to get another one now just because of this thread.

bwiese
06-18-2005, 5:12 PM
Originally posted by s:
so if the m14 type rifles were to be made into assault weapons would those of us that already have them be able to make them full ebr's with folding stocks and such?

Yes, if M1A rifles were to be declared as AWs in CA (with 90-day announcement, 90-day registration period etc. - or something like that) then you could add any any 'evil' features to your M1A like flash hider, folding stock, etc. and it would still be legal.

There likely would be Kasler-like questions about 'series' since some are Springfield, some are PolyTech, as well as some smaller recever mfgrs like LRBArms, etc.

Similarly if CaliFALs or gripless FALs were declared to be AWs, they could be made into full AWs with no fixed mag restrictions, etc.

It does take quite a bit of work to add to the list though. I'd've figured they just would have made the Walther P22 an AW instead of going around all the threaded barrel replacement rigamarole...

Bill Wiese
San Jose

gunnm619@aol.com
06-18-2005, 6:25 PM
If M1A reached the chopping block, ill be ready to buy 2-3 M1A/M14 receivers. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

JAFGO
06-18-2005, 9:10 PM
All it will take is for another "Stockton" incident or something similar where the shooter uses an M1A or Mini 14 for his evil purposes. The sheeple will be shocked that a "weapon of mass destruction" such as these are still legally sold in Kali and the M1A/Mini 14 will be declared assault weapons.

Sad to say, but it's just a matter of time.

SI-guru
06-18-2005, 10:02 PM
I believe at one time San Francisco and Los Angeles have their own municpal code defining M1A as "assault weapon". CRPA sue the cities and made them repeal it around 2003.

bear
06-23-2005, 10:21 AM
Isn't the M1A used to assault Normandy beach?
It was designed to kill people for cryin out loud.
Of course it's an assualt weapon. If I had one I'd have the bayonet for it too.

bigjim
06-23-2005, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by bear:
Of course it's an assault weapon. If I had one I'd have the bayonet for it too.

http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif If anyone has used a M1A to assault Normandy I am sure it was very upsetting to the French.

On the other hand one guy and a M1A could assualt France and win so who knows.

FYI the M1A is a Commerical copy of the M14 that is a Korean war/Vietnam Era rifle.

HEUER
06-23-2005, 12:51 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bear:
FYI M1 Garand.

HEUER
06-23-2005, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by bigjim:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bear:
Of course it's an assault weapon. If I had one I'd have the bayonet for it too.

http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif If anyone has used a M1A to assault Normandy I am sure it was very upsetting to the French.

On the other hand one guy and a M1A could assualt France and win so who knows.

FYI the M1A is a Commerical copy of the M14 that is a Korean war/Vietnam Era rifle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FYI M14 was adopted for service in 1957. The armistice was signed 7 months after IKE went to Korea in 1952. M14 were not used during the Korean war.

Turbinator
06-23-2005, 2:30 PM
Originally posted by 50 Freak:
Sacramento is always contiplating banning one thing or another. Their going to have a hard time banning a M-14/M1A rifle. To many people have them and they are not considered "evil black rifles".

Too many people having them hardly is a reason to think they won't get banned. Lots of us had hi-cap mags and they still got banned.

Turby

imported_Matt-man
06-23-2005, 4:08 PM
Matter of fact, if a lot of people already have them, that means less people care if they get banned. "Already got mine, I don't care if they ban 'em!"

I don't think anybody is going to have a hard time banning anything in this state. Make no mistake: the response of the majority of California residents to any gun ban will be, "Well, it sounds reasonable to me. Who needs a gun anyway?"

Back on topic: Doesn't sound like anyone has any substantiated evidence that the M1A is about to be banned. I sure haven't heard anything.

gunnm619@aol.com
06-23-2005, 6:33 PM
Originally posted by JAFGO.:
All it will take is for another "Stockton" incident or something similar where the shooter uses an M1A or Mini 14 for his evil purposes. The sheeple will be shocked that a "weapon of mass destruction" such as these are still legally sold in Kali and the M1A/Mini 14 will be declared assault weapons.

Sad to say, but it's just a matter of time.

So very true. People forget, these M1As carry a much larger round then both the AR15 and AK47, and shoot farther and more accurate then both.. and large capacity magazines can still be had one way or another. I can see them now arguing on TV why these rifles were still kept legal in California for so long. It doesnt matter how many people owned them...just look how fast the .50 cal rifles got banned. It would only take matter of months for it to hit the chopping block if they decided to make such a law.