PDA

View Full Version : TRANSFER OF A OLD HANDGUN

gabefanara
09-08-2009, 9:41 PM
I was given a 1911 Colt made in the 1940's. I guess it was my grandfathers. I dont know much about it and i was thinking of selling it. Does anyone have any info on how i would go about selling this. Thanks

El Gato
09-08-2009, 9:48 PM
If it has no sentimental value to you... I will likely have a substantial monetary value depending.
take some good pic's and post... a friend of mine just sold a "grandpas old gun" for 2 grand...
1911 - with the handmade clear plastic grips made in the pacific from airplane "glass"...
super cool...

tenpercentfirearms
09-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Easy answer is claim your grandfather gave it to you prior to 1991 and then sell it as a private party transfer to someone. Or sell it out of state and ship it to an FFL.

Complex answer is to send in intrafamilial transfer form, pay $19, have it officially put in your name and then do the same thing.

El Gato
09-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Easy answer is claim your grandfather gave it to you prior to 1991 and then sell it as a private party transfer to someone. Or sell it out of state and ship it to an FFL.

Complex answer is to send in intrafamilial transfer form, pay $19, have it officially put in your name and then do the same thing.

missed the point of the post... right on Wes

gabefanara
09-08-2009, 11:12 PM
Ok good answers. Ya I'm not even sure if it has ever been registered so can I still do the intrafamily transfer? I actually had it posted on here for about 2weeks but didn't receive any hits. I'm trying to sell it for $1500. I'll send pics to who ever wants to see it. Just leave me your email. Thanks

tenpercentfirearms
09-09-2009, 7:10 AM
Ok good answers. Ya I'm not even sure if it has ever been registered so can I still do the intrafamily transfer? I actually had it posted on here for about 2weeks but didn't receive any hits. I'm trying to sell it for $1500. I'll send pics to who ever wants to see it. Just leave me your email. Thanks

You can do the intrafamilial transfer still. Again, if he gave it to you prior to 1991, that wouldn't be required. So if you were at least 21 in 1991 and better yet your grandfather has now passed away (sorry, it is a messed up statement), who is going to prove he didn't give it to you in prior to 1991? So if he lawfully gave it to you prior to 1991, then there is no requirement for you to register it. You as the lawful owner can then PPT or sell it as a transfer. Just be aware that pistol needs to be on the DOJ Roster if you want to send it as a transfer in CA.

In the end, the DOJ mainly wants to know who the new owner is. So just make sure it gets transfered properly.