PDA

View Full Version : Stolen gun

LongBch_SigP226
04-19-2005, 5:44 PM
Maybe someone can answer these questions.
I'm bidding on a gun online which is
located out-of-state. Now, how do I know
for sure that I'm not buying a stolen property?
Will FFLs know if it's stolen? What do I need
to do to make sure that I become the owner of
this gun?

LongBch_SigP226
04-19-2005, 5:44 PM
Maybe someone can answer these questions.
I'm bidding on a gun online which is
located out-of-state. Now, how do I know
for sure that I'm not buying a stolen property?
Will FFLs know if it's stolen? What do I need
to do to make sure that I become the owner of
this gun?

imported_dadoody
04-19-2005, 7:26 PM
If you believe it to be stolen, then do the following:

Tell your FFL your concern. Have your FFL contact the state that the gun is coming from, and do a check.

kalibear
04-20-2005, 7:37 AM
You won't know until you try and register it.

The individual that is selling the gun does not have to use an FFL just to send the gun. All he needs is a copy of your dealer's FFL and he can ship it to that address. Of course, if the gun is indeed stolen, it will spell trouble on his end. I would worry about the seller's reputation and feedback first (so he won't rip you off) - Although there probably is a slight chance that a dumb criminal might list a stolen gun on an internet auction site http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

jdberger
04-20-2005, 7:51 AM
I'm pretty sure that you can ask your local law enforcement to run it for you. Most stolen property (I think) gets entered into a national database (NCIC). If you can't I may have another option...PM me if you can't run it.

It wouldn't happen to be a satin nickle combat commander, would it? or maybe a.....(long list)

imported_1911_sfca
04-22-2005, 1:34 PM
On the California side, the CA DOJ maintains the Criminal Justice Information System (CJIS). One element of this is the Automated Firearms System (AFS), which contains records about serialized firearms. Whenever you try to run the DROS, it will cross-reference this database, amongst others (such as the Mental Health Firearms Prohibition System, lol). If you call up the DOJ Firearms division, I bet they'd be happy to look up a serial number in AFS for you.

Inquiries into CLETS also roll over into NCIC files if the required information elements (i.e. Name, DOB, etc.) are given. For the "Gun File", AFS queries automatically roll over to NCIC's Gun File as long as the Serial No. is given.

So bottom line is, if you can get any CA law enforcement agency to do an AFS search on the Serial Number of the gun you want, you should have nationwide data. This assumes that the state the gun might be stolen in also puts info into the NCIC files and not just their own state files. For that reason, you might want to also call the DOJ or state police from that state.

delloro
04-22-2005, 2:00 PM
yabut.... (http://login.findlaw.com/scripts/callaw?dest=ca/calapp3d/80/supp6.html)

imported_1911_sfca
04-25-2005, 12:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by delloro:
yabut.... (http://login.findlaw.com/scripts/callaw?dest=ca/calapp3d/80/supp6.html) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yah but what? This case says that someone who bought a gun that was stolen (unbeknownst to him) can sue the FFL who sold it to him. In this case, he sues to recover the purchase price and lawyer fees incurred in defending himself from criminal charges of possession of stolen property.

And, how would that apply to this discussion, where we are talking about buying a gun from a private party who is out-of-state, and how to make sure it is not stolen?

delloro
04-25-2005, 1:40 PM
That was posted just to show that the system does not always catch stolen guns.

jdberger
04-25-2005, 7:05 PM
yabut??? so then what's the point? if the system catches it great. if the system doesn't catch it than there is nothing to worry about.

Simply hold on to the receipts...