PDA

View Full Version : Nordyke update: Panel chosen, TV approved - who?

hoffmang
09-08-2009, 4:33 PM
In interesting activity today, the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals issued this motion approving a request to video record (http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/Nordyke-v-King/TV-Order-2009-09-08.pdf) the en banc panel. The interesting thing is that the motion says that a majority of the panel approved the request, however we still don't know who the panel is...

-Gene

CnCFunFactory
09-08-2009, 4:37 PM
Is it possible they are thinking about making history and want it recorded for posterity? :eek:

HowardW56
09-08-2009, 4:38 PM
They want to keep you guessing....

WHen do you find out who is on the panel, when you walk into the courtroom?

CitaDeL
09-08-2009, 4:40 PM
In interesting activity today, the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals issued this motion approving a request to video record (http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/Nordyke-v-King/TV-Order-2009-09-08.pdf) the en banc panel. The interesting thing is that the motion says that a majority of the panel approved the request, however we still don't know who the panel is...

-Gene

Can any correlation be drawn between the panel's lack of camera-shyness and their record of ruling for or against second amendment issues? ;)

Its nice to know the stage is being set, but unless it has any indication of the outcome, I'm not sure if this begs my interest.

smallshot13
09-08-2009, 4:43 PM
Note the Deputy Clerks name, Pinky Argonza. The 9th has obviously signed a Hollywood film deal, as they believe this will be ripe for an hysterical documentary.

HowardW56
09-08-2009, 4:50 PM
Note the Deputy Clerks name, Pinky Argonza. The 9th has obviously signed a Hollywood film deal, as they believe this will be ripe for an hysterical documentary.

Is she on Michael Moore's payroll?

Theseus
09-08-2009, 4:52 PM
Hmm...Interesting.

I wish I would be able to make it up to see this.

And with the others sentiments about recording. . . this to me can be good or bad.

Are they making this big show to make a historical ruling that 2A is incorporated, or are they doing it to please the anti's?

sorensen440
09-08-2009, 4:56 PM
Very interesting

I wonder why they would be keeping it a secret

maybe they are worried they will be lobbied by both sides if they made it public ?

Blackhawk556
09-08-2009, 5:05 PM
:lurk5:

gunsmith
09-08-2009, 5:11 PM
Is she on Michael Moore's payroll?

Pinky sounds like a gangsters dude's name to me.
I think a good documentary could be made, it was hysterical during the Nordyke hearing, the anti lawyer said we can have a gun show with no guns!

elenius
09-08-2009, 5:20 PM
Is this unusual?

Pont
09-08-2009, 6:39 PM
Hmm...Interesting.

I wish I would be able to make it up to see this.

And with the others sentiments about recording. . . this to me can be good or bad.

Are they making this big show to make a historical ruling that 2A is incorporated, or are they doing it to please the anti's?

I think it's a good sign. If they had no cameras and denied incorporation, only 2nd amendment activists would care about it. With the cameras, it's almost guaranteed that it'll be on the evening news.

Scold
09-08-2009, 6:45 PM

-Gene

When is the en banc hearing?

KylaGWolf
09-08-2009, 6:47 PM
Can someone please get a recording of the hearing since when it is going on I will be in the middle of a shooting class at front sight and I want to be able to watch it that night :).

I have no clue if having cameras means something good or bad when it comes to this is anyone's guess. I am betting though it is an attempt to not have the actual court room be filled with pro 2A people. As to why the panel has not been made public yet I am thinking along the lines to try to keep them from being bothered by both sides in trying to sway their decision either way or to build good drama take your pick.

Stubby
09-08-2009, 6:51 PM
Very interesting!!!!

I cant wait to go!!! I hope they get a great picture of all of us!! A nice group of polite, well dressed, second amendment advocates!!!:D

Now if we just new WHO is on the panel:mad:

Shotgun Man
09-08-2009, 6:57 PM
So will Courtroom View Network allow us to watch the hearing for free? Shouldn't they be like a pool reporter?

GaryV
09-08-2009, 7:02 PM
Very interesting

I wonder why they would be keeping it a secret

maybe they are worried they will be lobbied by both sides if they made it public ?

If you check their site, they don't appear to ever announce the en banc panels ahead of time. The only cases where the panels are named are those that have already been argued. Nordyke isn't special in this respect

SwissFluCase
09-08-2009, 7:06 PM
Will this be argued in SF? If so I will definitely go!

Regards,

SwissFluCase

hoffmang
09-08-2009, 7:14 PM
This will be argued in SF at the same courthouse the Nordyke hearing a few months ago was held. CGF will be holding a benefit lunch after the hearing where you can hear from Mr. Kilmer, Mr. Kates, and special guest Mr. Gura.

The Panel is usually announced beforehand. 3 Judge panels are announced 1 week before. It's been my experience that the en banc panel was announced by now, but not here.

-Gene

Stubby
09-08-2009, 7:18 PM
Okay,

I think I figured out the where and when the panel will be announced.

http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/calendar/view_calendars.php

Looking back in their archives it appears that they announce the date, time, court room, type of hearing, and who will be on the panel. This section seems to be released one week before the case is too be argued.

SwissFluCase
09-08-2009, 7:20 PM
OK. Next question. IIRC, thre is already an incorporation case pending before SCOTUS. Will that hearing be delayed until Nordyke is re-decided? It seems like a lot is happening all at once...

Regards,

SwissFluCase

rkt88edmo
09-08-2009, 7:20 PM

If only he was in cahouts with Pinky Carruthers, not all Pinkys are pinkos.

Dr Rockso
09-08-2009, 7:22 PM
OK. Next question. IIRC, thre is already an incorporation case pending before SCOTUS. Will that hearing be delayed until Nordyke is re-decided? It seems like a lot is happening all at once...

Regards,

SwissFluCase
Since there's no guarantee SCOTUS will grant cert I don't think that will have any effect.

yellowfin
09-08-2009, 7:22 PM
We out here on the eastern front eagerly await seeing this.

SwissFluCase
09-08-2009, 7:52 PM
Since there's no guarantee SCOTUS will grant cert I don't think that will have any effect.

I'm wondering if Nordyke will make granting cert less of a reality. Isn't the Maloney case before SCOTUS? It looks like its either a questionable 2A case now, or a good one (Nordyke, if it loses en banc) sometime after BHO messes up SCOTUS even more.

This is turing into a nail biter...

Regards,

SwissFluCase

VegasND
09-08-2009, 7:59 PM
Pinky sounds like a gangsters dude's name to me.
I think a good documentary could be made, it was hysterical during the Nordyke hearing, the anti lawyer said we can have a gun show with no guns!
If only he was in cahouts with Pinky Carruthers, not all Pinkys are pinkos.
Pinky is Harry Reid's nickname. If you're ever in Searchlight ask about him, they like Pinky in Searchlight.

hill billy
09-08-2009, 8:29 PM
This is turing into a nail biter...

Regards,

SwissFluCase
Turning in to? I haven't nails left for weeks, between this and AB962.

Scarecrow Repair
09-08-2009, 9:30 PM
Is this unusual?

This is my question too -- is there a pattern to hearings with and without cameras, and what percentage of hearings have cameras?

Glock22Fan
09-09-2009, 7:15 AM
fixed ~ rkt

Thanks

xxdabroxx
09-09-2009, 9:36 AM
:willy_nilly: very interesting...