PDA

View Full Version : I blagged my Ubuntu install...

sfwdiy
09-08-2009, 4:28 PM
I fired up Ubuntu for the first time in a while today. I was running 8.10. I decided to upgrade to 9.04 since it was available.

I was running the upgrade while browsing the net in Firefox. Firefox froze on me and I couldn't quit it. I reflexively hit ctrl-alt-delete, being used to that bringing up the force quit menu in Windows or the equivalent on a Mac. I forgot that it restarts Gnome on Ubuntu. This is apparently not the best thing to do when in the middle of a major OS upgrade. :p

Gnome tried to restart, but the graphics driver I was using was removed by the 9.04 installer. I got a warning that Ubuntu was running in low graphics mode due to the lack of a driver, but the keyboard and mouse had stopped functioning. I couldn't click to dismiss the warning, so I'm not sure if the machine was frozen or if I just couldn't use my peripherals.

For good measure, I left the computer sitting and went to the driving range for about an hour, hoping the upgrade was still running in the background. When I got back I force-restarted it.

When I booted back up, fsck found errors. I ran a repair. I fixed the graphics issue by reverting to the default driver. I can now get to the login screen, and when I enter my username and pass it attempts to get to the desktop. I get the progress wheel for a second, the mouse pointer changes from the default to the custom one I set with my theme, then it just sits there. If I start a failsafe Gnome session my custom background loads and it stops there.

Am I screwed? Is it time to reformat? Is there a fix? I'm comfortable with the terminal, just not terribly familiar with it under Ubuntu. All my experience is from Unix/OS X.

--B

ETA: I get to the new 9.04 login window, not the old 8.10 one.

Corbin Dallas
09-08-2009, 4:49 PM
Revert back to 8.10 there are a number of issues with 9.04 as an upgrade. If you can fresh install 9.04 go for it just make sure you have all the correct drivers

Nobama4us
09-09-2009, 7:00 AM
I'd guess some packages got corrupted by the brutal restart during upgrade. Can you do the cntrl-alt-f[1-10] and get a working console when your X hangs ? I'm not a Ubuntu user, but can you do a yum,apt-get, yast, up2date or what ever they use to check and update failed packages ? Did the upgrade save the old kernel ?

sfwdiy
09-09-2009, 11:18 AM
I'd guess some packages got corrupted by the brutal restart during upgrade. Can you do the cntrl-alt-f[1-10] and get a working console when your X hangs ? I'm not a Ubuntu user, but can you do a yum,apt-get, yast, up2date or what ever they use to check and update failed packages ? Did the upgrade save the old kernel ?

Not sure. I can boot to a failsafe terminal, but I don't have an ethernet cable I can plug into this computer to get online so I can't download anything via apt-get if necessary. I think I'm just going to have to wipe and re-install from the disc.

--B

Fjold
09-09-2009, 11:36 AM
You lost me at "blagged" in the title.

sfwdiy
09-09-2009, 6:25 PM
You lost me at "blagged" in the title.

It's ok. :p

I reinstalled from the 9.04 DVD today. I just got everything back where i liked it and it started crashing again. Synaptic would freeze, then everything would hang. 9.04 kinda sucks so far. It's too bad, because it seems like the drivers are a lot more robust for my Macbook Pro under 9.04 then they were under 8.10. Lame.

--B

Nobama4us
09-09-2009, 7:18 PM
try the control-alt-backspace does X restart or nothing happen? Can you do a cntrl alt f[1-0] and get a terminal window when X is hung ?

Cos
09-13-2009, 10:59 AM
It seems like you didn't finish the upgrade process and also some Gnome files were corrupted as well. What I suggest to do is two fold:
- finish the upgrade process from the command line
% sudo aptitude
then press 'U' and then 'g' to start to upgrade
- if you don't have much of a value in your desktop theme and such, rename
~/.gconf and start gnome (or gdm) again. Then do all the customizations you desire.

PM me or reply to this thread if you need more help
Cos