PDA

View Full Version : FFLs in Los Angeles area?

monkey
04-12-2005, 1:27 PM
Finding an FFL that will do an interstate transfer and will NOT charge me a ridiculous fee is getting difficult. Most simply will not do interstate transfers at all (Martin Retting, Turners, Firing Line, etc). Used to use Red Star Military Museum and they were awesome with transfers, but went out of business. Anyone know of a great, reasonable FFL around here?

resistor
04-12-2005, 1:29 PM
Maybe try Entreprise in Irwindale...they do transfers. I figure if they've go the cajones to build and sell Kali legal fals, they'll xfr a gun from out of state.

bwiese
04-12-2005, 2:14 PM
Resistor & Monkey..

resistor wrote:
I figure if they've go the cajones to build and sell Kali legal fals, they'll xfer a gun from out of state.

It's not about "cojones" - FFLs aren't afraid of getting legal guns out of state, most know what is or isn't an AW now, and there's really no confusion what handguns are & are not allowed to be sold to folks.

Many FFLs just won't do such transfers because they wanna sell the guns they already have in their inventory: they see themselves as resellers, not 'service providers'. That's a business decision, and they figure the 15%-over-SGN-price transfer biz isn't worth their time & grief (esp for handguns with extra time taken for safety demo, checking The List, etc.)

By contrast, CA law requires all gun shops to perform private party transfers without excessive fees so they will do those, albeit sometimes reluctantly.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

imported_MaxQ
04-12-2005, 5:23 PM
I've always gotten good service from Euroarms in Alhambra, (626) 570-4867. Although, I don't know what they charge these days. Some people here have good recommendations for some Orange County shops, but the extra drive (twice) can cut into any cost savings depending where you are.

Black_Talon
04-12-2005, 6:51 PM
Whittier Jewelery and Loan in Whittier does out of state transfers. They charge a flat $55. I use them for all of my OOS transfers and have always had very good luck.

gunsnrovers
04-12-2005, 8:28 PM
I just brought in a FN Hi-Power through Martin Rettings. The pistol was a great price and I sucked it up and paid the $80 transfer fees. LA Guns isn't doing out of states anymore. I found a few places that were $25 or so cheaper, but Rettings is literally 4 miles from my house and the $25 savings of driving to say Whittier, Long Beach, etc. or some other city just isn't worth the gas or frustration.

Rettings will only do out of states on firearms they do not stock in house, which I understand. Even with shipping and their $80, my FN was over $100 cheaper then the Brownings they sell over the counter and I really wanted the FN roll mark (already have a Browning marked HP).

Pick up the HP in 10 days. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Sydwaiz
04-12-2005, 8:32 PM
Try Union War Surplus (http://www.unionwarsurplus.com) in San Pedro.

TannerBoyl
04-13-2005, 8:47 AM
I've done a few transfers through West Coast Guns in Redondo Beach. The owner is a great guy who is more than helpful. The transfers cost $70 (included DROS fees).

If you're interested, shoot me an email and I'll send you his information. Just remove -nospam- from the email in my profile.

esskay
04-14-2005, 9:14 AM
Originally posted by TannerBoyl:
I've done a few transfers through West Coast Guns in Redondo Beach. The owner is a great guy who is more than helpful. The transfers cost $70 (included DROS fees).

If you're interested, shoot me an email and I'll send you his information. Just remove -nospam- from the email in my profile.

+1 on West Coast Guns...one of the good guys.

LongBch_SigP226
04-17-2005, 10:35 AM
Socal Sharpshooters in Torrance wants $75 for it.

LongBch_SigP226
04-23-2005, 8:42 PM
Originally posted by Black_Talon:
Whittier Jewelery and Loan in Whittier does out of state transfers. They charge a flat $55. I use them for all of my OOS transfers and have always had very good luck.

It's $60 now.

sks
04-23-2005, 8:45 PM
Ade's Gun Shop in Orange. $70 (includes DROS). Great guy to deal with.

GTKrockeTT
04-23-2005, 9:44 PM
bain and davis

and

jeff's sporting goods

they both charge $80 and coincidentally, are right next door to each other.

Black_Talon
04-24-2005, 4:32 PM
Originally posted by DingChavez:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Black_Talon:

It's $60 now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably because the State DROS fee went up $5.

pogo
04-24-2005, 5:38 PM
Ditto on West Coast Guns and also on San Pedro Surplus, both have been great to deal with.

I always used Retting for cheaper guns before they closed, but the sales tax that they charged on the gun's sale price was prohibitive on more expensive items.

nanya
04-24-2005, 10:01 PM
Jay Ross-
TriggerHappy sports. Lakewood.

$55 handguns... includes everything.

esskay
04-24-2005, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by pogo:
I always used Retting for cheaper guns before they closed, but the sales tax that they charged on the gun's sale price was prohibitive on more expensive items.

Do you mean Red Star in Culver City? Retting is still around last I checked.

pogo
04-25-2005, 4:53 PM
Yes I did, Esskay, I mixed up my "R" words, thanks!

monkey
04-30-2005, 9:26 AM
Red Star was right across the street from Martin Retting. Red Star went out of business last year. They were great for trasnfers.

04-30-2005, 11:57 AM
Red Star also had a great a selection of old military stuff and were very nice to clients. Never cared much for the strore across from them though.

dukka
05-17-2005, 6:58 PM
I can find no reference to West Coast Guns in Redondo Beach using online search engines like Citysearch or google local. Do you have a phone number?

LongBch_SigP226
05-17-2005, 7:34 PM
Originally posted by dukka:
I can find no reference to <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">West Coast Guns in Redondo Beach using online search engines like Citysearch or google local. Do you have a phone number? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Leo E. Zamboni
West Coast Guns
3008 Dow Avenue
Redondo Beach, CA 90278
phone: (310) 371-7726
fax: (310) 371-7726
cellular: (310) 245-4498

Hours: 6:00pm-9:00pm Tues-Fri, Sat-Sun by Appt
Transfer fee: $70 including all taxes and DROS fee