PDA

View Full Version : How do you get seler to sighn DROS when he is out of state

vinniesguns
09-08-2009, 4:13 PM
Hey Guys,
I have had some customers buy from Private parties out of state. The PPT DROS has a box for the seller to sign, I always get a copy of the D.L when I do these transfers, but what about the signature box on the DROS? I called DOJ, they told me to treat it like a dealer sale, but if the gun is used you can only pull some used models up, from the approved for ship list on the PPT section of DROS, it is not the same approval for ship to CA. as the list you pull up from a regular new hand gun DROS sale. So do you forgo the signature and just keep a copy of the out of state sellers DL? Or am I getting into trouble?
Thanks

Blue
09-08-2009, 4:18 PM
Is it a pistol that isnt on the approved list?

ke6guj
09-08-2009, 4:19 PM
You can't DROS a non-rostered handgun that is shipped to you as a PPT. It is only a PPT if both parties are CA-residents who both appear in front of you in person.

In this case, it is DROSed just like a regular dealer sale, and as you found out, you can only DROS rostered handguns. IIRC, the DROS software won't even accept an out-of-state ID when doing a PPT DROS.

vinniesguns
09-08-2009, 5:19 PM
I have done only one PPT From out of state but it was on a rifle, and the DROS let me do it. So on handguns from out of state , they all have to be treated like new sales? Only handguns used, on the PPT list, are for in CA. State sales only, Correct?

Librarian
09-08-2009, 5:32 PM
I have done only one PPT From out of state but it was on a rifle, and the DROS let me do it. So on handguns from out of state , they all have to be treated like new sales? Only handguns used, on the PPT list, are for in CA. State sales only, Correct?

The right answer is in there, somewhere ...

As pointed out, PPT is implemented to work for only CA ID for both seller and buyer. Real PPT is exempt from the Roster of Handguns.

If a CA buyer wants to purchase a gun from a non-CA seller, that's an interstate transfer - new or used does not enter into it - and any handgun must be on the Roster unless the buyer qualifies for one of the exemptions.

ke6guj
09-08-2009, 5:33 PM
The way the PC works is that all handgun transfers, NEW or USED, through a dealer must be on the Roster of not unsafe handguns, unless the handgun is roster-exempt, or the transfer is roster-exempt. Intrafamily and PPT transfers are exempt from the the roster along with certain single-action revolvers and single-shot pistols.

CA considers PPT transfers to just be those between 2 CA residents who both appear in front of you.

halifax
09-08-2009, 7:06 PM

So the DROS software and DOJ didn't reject the out-of-state DL number?

Very interesting.

jksupplyco
09-08-2009, 7:52 PM
Vinnie---- Email Sent..

ke6guj
09-08-2009, 8:07 PM
I'm wondering if Vinnie is using the term PPT in the same mannor we are. Reason I ask is that on his website, he has Private Party Transfers priced at $65, instead of the state maximum of $35 ($25 to the state + $10 dealer fee).

tenpercentfirearms
09-08-2009, 10:25 PM
To keep it simple, never do a PPT unless both parties are present in the store with CA ID and ready to sign. If they are not, then it is a regular transfer.

I love how there are a ton of different ways to do things wrong and unless you ask or get audited, you will never know you are screwing up. Gougers!

vinniesguns
09-09-2009, 5:42 PM
Tell me about it,I have not had a DOJ inspection yet, I kkep going over all my paper work, looking for any mistakes. The out of state tranfer I did that the DROS excepted was not for a handgun, but a rifle, sinc e there is no roster list for rifles, I guess they are O.K.?

vinniesguns
09-09-2009, 5:43 PM
Is there a difference in what you can charge for a PPT and a regular transfer?

jksupplyco
09-09-2009, 5:48 PM
Yes, a PPT is a state mandated $35. $25 DROS, and you make a whopping $10. Transfer fees are unregulated. You can charge whatever you want.

vinniesguns
09-10-2009, 3:46 PM
If you have an old pistol off the roster prior to your becomming FFL, then after you become FFL you sell it, do you do a PPT with your own DL as the seller and complete the ppt with your customer?

halifax
09-10-2009, 6:20 PM
If you have an old pistol off the roster prior to your becomming FFL, then after you become FFL you sell it, do you do a PPT with your own DL as the seller and complete the ppt with your customer?

Yes. The DOJ warned FFLs not to buy their own inventory prior to the roster being implemented and then selling them PPT. In your case, you didn't have an FFL, so it was never part of your "inventory". You can sell your personal handguns PPT.