PDA

View Full Version : California drop test felony with a barrel change?

jimh
09-08-2009, 1:28 PM
Hi Guys,

I was at a gun store recently and the subject came up about changing out the barrel on a pistol.

The man behind the counter stated that it is a federal felony if you purchase a gun on the drop list and then change the barrel to a caliber that is not on the drop list.

I have never heard of this, is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

POLICESTATE
09-08-2009, 1:31 PM
Sounds kind of like crap to me, the drop test thing is a CA law not federal so if anything you would be in violation of CA state law and not federal. Curious to find out if this is an issue though as far as CA law goes.

Heatseeker
09-08-2009, 1:32 PM
Sounds pretty fishy to me. I thought the drop test was a Ca.thing...if so, why would the Feds give a snot?

hoffmang
09-08-2009, 1:33 PM
There is no federal law against changing from one pistol barrel to the next.

There is a state law that an FFL can't sell a new gun that's not on the roster. Private individuals can.

-Gene

Olav
09-08-2009, 1:33 PM
Pure FUD

POLICESTATE
09-08-2009, 1:35 PM
Which gun store was this anyway? Might help determine the FUD factor more accurately.

halifax
09-08-2009, 1:36 PM
Sounds kind of like crap to me, the drop test thing is a CA law not federal so if anything you would be in violation of CA state law and not federal. Curious to find out if this is an issue though as far as CA law goes.

FUD. First, the Feds have nothing to do with CA law.

You can pretty much do anything to your gun once you have it other than make it into an AW. Be warned that if you soup it up and then use it for self-defense the prosecutor MAY try to paint you as the bad guy. A plaintiff's lawyer certainly will.

EDIT: Damn, you other guys must type fast!

Merc1138
09-08-2009, 1:42 PM
For some reason I just pictured a Law & Order courtroom with a 1911 with "Campbell's" written across the slide being presented as evidence.

Are we aware of any cases that have actually gone like that because someone modified their firearm(without making it into an AW)? I haven't heard of any.

boxbro
09-08-2009, 1:47 PM
Hi Guys,

I was at a gun store recently and the subject came up about changing out the barrel on a pistol.

The man behind the counter stated that it is a federal felony if you purchase a gun on the drop list and then change the barrel to a caliber that is not on the drop list.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like an ignorant gun store employee that is talking out of his rear.

jimh
09-08-2009, 1:59 PM
it was action guns in chico, ca.

Thanks for the replies on this. I was really taken back when he said this and was so very confident. This type of thing really pisses me off. Of all people he should know his stuff or just be quiet.

bwiese
09-08-2009, 2:19 PM
Hi Guys,

It's BS.

Especially as that Gun Shop Warrior says that the Feds would bust you for a non-Fed, *state*-related issue.

What gunshop is this, so this idiocy can be refuted properly?

You are allowed to change your handgun's caliber, barrel length, action type (single to double action or vice versa, semiauto to manually-cycled or vice versa, single-shot to multiple shot, safety changes, etc.) All one has to avoid is making an otherwise illegal firearm (AW, SBS, unconventional pistol, pistol that has unrifled barrel or chambers a shotgun shell, etc.)

Such a modified gun can't be sold as a CA dealer inventory gun, and must be PPTd to another Californian, however.

[In fact, Dept AG Alison Merrilees in one of her letters discussing the Glock 21SF fiasco, said it would be perfectly legal for a person to take a Rostered variant of the G21SF and send it to Glock to have it modified to have an ambi mag release. (I think I got the items/sequence right).]

tonelar
09-08-2009, 2:58 PM
Of all people he should know his stuff or just be quiet.

You've obviously never heard the prime rule of retailers... being behind the counter instantly makes you an authority.

haha

HowardW56
09-08-2009, 3:01 PM
http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt321/HowardW56/bsflag.gif

sorensen440
09-08-2009, 3:02 PM
100% false

woodsman
09-08-2009, 3:44 PM
Funny, I here more FUD from gunstores than any other source.

They should be on the front line of legislation such as SB962 but many have no clue.

B Strong
09-08-2009, 4:16 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance.

Absolute FUD - there is no provision under federal law criminalizing the removal of a barrel for replacement - the only federal felony involving a barrel in the USC is unregistered short barreled rifles and shotguns not on the fed. C. & R. list, and smoothbore pistol barrels not on the fed. C. & R. LIST.

See my sig line below.

CSACANNONEER
09-08-2009, 4:22 PM
Find a gun store that actually know what they are talking about! Since they are obviously wrong about this, how many other laws are they not going to know/follow properly? You might even want to email them a link to this thread so that they can either choose to learn the laws which govern their business or get a bad reputation. I've got family in Chico and I know which shop I won't be walking into anytime soon.

Dont Tread on Me
09-08-2009, 4:33 PM
being behind the counter instantly makes you an authority.

LOL. The unbelievable FUD I've heard in gun stores both legal and technical is beyond belief.

HowardW56
09-08-2009, 5:14 PM
LOL. The unbelievable FUD I've heard in gun stores both legal and technical is beyond belief.

Come-on, you've been in gunshops....

They are 70% full of it, and the rest are questionable... (With some exceptions of course)

There are some that are right on in their information, but they are few...

jeffm223
09-08-2009, 6:35 PM
I'm unsurprised to see that this was at Action Arms. They make Safer look good, and that's setting a very low bar indeed. Fortunately I found out how lame they were before I actually lost any money.

dfletcher
09-08-2009, 6:37 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance.

If you want to have some fun, ask him if he'll order an Encore pistol and two spare barrels for you. :eek:

The Wingnut
09-08-2009, 6:48 PM
It's BS.

Especially as that Gun Shop Warrior says that the Feds would bust you for a non-Fed, *state*-related issue.

Snerk, Gun Shop Warrior. I like. Will steal. Ironically shares the same acronym as Gun Shot Wounds. Both can be hazardous to your health, one to physiological, the other legal. :D

Should Man Law that one.

CHS
09-08-2009, 9:46 PM
If you want to have some fun, ask him if he'll order an Encore pistol and two spare barrels for you. :eek:

While that is funny, unfortunately the Encore is already exempt from the roster :)

jimh
09-08-2009, 10:27 PM
I was pretty shocked when he told me this considering I just did a barrel swap, etc. I tried to question him and that's when he threw in the federal felony. Sad part is, I was with a friend that has never owned a gun and I am helping to purchase one. I was so annoyed that we turned around and walked out. I had to double check because he was so sure he was right.