PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with these? Thinkpad W700ds

Rick530
09-08-2009, 10:19 AM
http://www.techdepot.com/pro/product.asp?productID=6380319&info=Tech#tabs

Corbin Dallas
09-08-2009, 12:02 PM
If you can dump the $5200, go for it.

Me personally, not a chance in hell. I'd rather have a portable laptop with a constant VPN to my server.

For the money, it's not worth it. But if your funds are not limited, why not go big... just don't lose or break it.

bigmike82
09-08-2009, 3:49 PM
Erm...

I second the not a chance in hell remark. If you're in a situation where you *need* a second screen, you're no longer in laptop territory.

sevans
09-08-2009, 4:02 PM
Actually I'm typing this message on one right now. I love mine and it was ~$3k direct from Lenovo. It's certainly a special purpose machine but works very well for that job. It's far too big to really carry as a laptop regularly. I needed a portable machine that could be used at various locations a few times a month with as much screen real estate as possible. It works for that. For me it saves carrying a laptop plus a full size monitor with me.

Screen (main one) is fantastic, lots of expansion options, great keyboard, plenty of memory, hd space, and calibration is nice.

Downside is price, size, weight and the second screen is much lower quality than the main. Still nice for secondary items though. Power supply weighs as much as some laptops.

Definitely not for every job but great if it's what you need. Happy to answer any questions on it but I love mine.

PEBKAC
09-12-2009, 1:40 PM
I've been lusting after one of those for months now. :pinch:

glockwise2000
09-12-2009, 3:37 PM
I thought a $1000 lap top is already expensive. For $5200?

jwest
09-15-2009, 12:30 AM
I've been eyeballing those too - especially since my current Thinkpad (IBM) is on its last legs.

You can get them cheaper than 5.2K - search for ecoupons thinkpad with the googler - and check the Lenovo outlet. I think Lenovo is selling the SSD's for a lot - but an all SSD Thinkpad is what I have been waiting for. Central Computer has pretty good prices on the Intel SSD's.

Having a portable secondary screen with a digitizer is a great idea.

Prices have dropped over the summer - there was even an ecoupon at one time that was 25% off the W series.

Also - if you call in - sometimes they are willing to deal with you to close the sale.

Regards,
jwest

Rick530
09-16-2009, 1:40 PM
I've been eyeballing those too - especially since my current Thinkpad (IBM) is on its last legs.

You can get them cheaper than 5.2K - search for ecoupons thinkpad with the googler - and check the Lenovo outlet. I think Lenovo is selling the SSD's for a lot - but an all SSD Thinkpad is what I have been waiting for. Central Computer has pretty good prices on the Intel SSD's.

Having a portable secondary screen with a digitizer is a great idea.

Prices have dropped over the summer - there was even an ecoupon at one time that was 25% off the W series.

Also - if you call in - sometimes they are willing to deal with you to close the sale.

Regards,
jwest
Nice! Thanks.