PDA

View Full Version : new beretta 92F. plastic recoilspring guide rod?

luckystrike
09-08-2009, 3:31 AM
since when did beretta start using plastic recoilspring guide rods in their 92s??
noticed this today and not sure how i feel about it.

Timberland
09-08-2009, 7:05 AM
It makes me sad

Jonathan Doe
09-08-2009, 7:17 AM
Beretta now makes a lot of plastic parts for their 92FS pistols. Check the trigger, safety/ decocking lever also.

pontiacpratt
09-08-2009, 7:44 AM
Check out this website:http://guiderod.com/
Class act. I bought one for my PX4 storm.

Suvorov
09-08-2009, 8:45 AM
Starting around 2002-03 or so a lot of parts on the M9/92FS started being made out of plastics. This was done for a couple reasons - 1. Reduce Cost, 2. Reduce Weight 3. Improve Lubricity and 4. Improve Reliability.

I have heard a lot of complaining about the plastic guide rod, but my newest Beretta has one and it has not had an issue. It is odd that people get their panties in such a tight bunch about a plastic guide rod and then turn around and brag about the Glock being so bullet proof. Anyhow, one supposed advantage to the plastic guide rod is that its cruciform cross section allows sand and mud to be channelled out of the way thus improving reliability. I have never seen a guid rod fail (plastic or metal) so I really can't say what is more reliable. A plastic guid rod, once bent is still functional, a metal one is not - still a metal one is harder to bend.

The triggers are NOT totally plastic, they have a plastic coating over metal to improve the lubricity. Then again, I'm looking at my $1000+ HK USP and it has a plastic trigger (and the Glock does too).

If you want a metal guide rod, you can order one from Beretta or as already posted, order an aftermarket guide rod.

But honestly, I think the worries about plastic parts on Beretta's is much ado about nothing.

Oldnoob
09-08-2009, 10:09 AM
It's been around for a while, at first lots shooter complain Beretta being cheap and even Taurus were still use steel guide rod (not sure if they change to plastic now). You should not have any problem reliablility wise, but if you feel more comfortable with steel, there are many place you can get steel for your 92/m9.

Oldnoob
09-08-2009, 10:11 AM
Though I have to add, steel guide rod looks 10x better.

Mr. Beretta
09-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Starting around 2002-03 or so a lot of parts on the M9/92FS started being made out of plastics. This was done for a couple reasons - 1. Reduce Cost, 2. Reduce Weight 3. Improve Lubricity and 4. Improve Reliability.

I have heard a lot of complaining about the plastic guide rod, but my newest Beretta has one and it has not had an issue. It is odd that people get their panties in such a tight bunch about a plastic guide rod and then turn around and brag about the Glock being so bullet proof. Anyhow, one supposed advantage to the plastic guide rod is that its cruciform cross section allows sand and mud to be channelled out of the way thus improving reliability. I have never seen a guid rod fail (plastic or metal) so I really can't say what is more reliable. A plastic guid rod, once bent is still functional, a metal one is not - still a metal one is harder to bend.

The triggers are NOT totally plastic, they have a plastic coating over metal to improve the lubricity. Then again, I'm looking at my $1000+ HK USP and it has a plastic trigger (and the Glock does too).

If you want a metal guide rod, you can order one from Beretta or as already posted, order an aftermarket guide rod.

But honestly, I think the worries about plastic parts on Beretta's is much ado about nothing.

Spot on! I have guns with both. No difference. If it came with a plastic guide rod, keep it. Likewise with a metal one. Both will out last all of us!

JMHO

Rekrab
09-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Yeah, haven't had any issues with my plastic guiderod on my Px4. My only complaint is that the cruciform shape and retained spring make the bugger VERY difficult to clean. And yes, steel looks way cooler.

luckystrike
09-08-2009, 1:07 PM
alright thanks for the info. in 10 days ill check the trigger and everything else too

pontiacpratt
09-08-2009, 2:13 PM
I like the look of the steel guide rod. I also think the steel guide rod made the slide feel more solid, dropping the slide felt like it had less slop.
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o158/figgie1/jasonstuff/P1020445.jpg

Rekrab
09-08-2009, 2:21 PM
Do you find that putting the gun back together/taking it apart is any more difficult since the SS guide rods are generally not captured? That's the one thing that really keeps me from getting one of those.

pontiacpratt
09-08-2009, 2:35 PM
It is little more difficult but in the long run I don't even notice it. The only worry is the little tiny part that sits on the bushing that is now no longer attached to anything.

luckystrike
09-08-2009, 5:56 PM
I like the look of the steel guide rod. I also think the steel guide rod made the slide feel more solid, dropping the slide felt like it had less slop.
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o158/figgie1/jasonstuff/P1020445.jpg

yeah that does look better