View Full Version : m1 carbine question

09-07-2009, 9:39 PM
I just bought a M1 carbine. It has the "L" shape rear sight. "Quality HMC" receiver, serial # 4658***, "Underwood" (unk) stampings then "43" on the end of the barrel, "Bavaria Rural Police" stamped on the left side of the receiver, the bolt & op rod has the same last three numbers stamped, "OG" stamped on the stock on the left side near the pistol grip area, "10" stamped in the rear area of the stock where the oil thingy goes, no bayonet lug, the top handguard has the same last three serial # stamped on the bottom. The guy I bought this from got it at least 20 years ago.

Is this a collectors item or a shooter I can refinish the stock & not lose value? Can anyone tell me more history about this rifle than the Bavarian M1 carbine website (like a birthdate)?

thanks...........Carbine newbie here.

09-07-2009, 9:54 PM
My vote is keep it original. That rifle has some cool history to it.

09-07-2009, 10:10 PM
As a bavarian carbine, it would have more value if left alone

website for reference

09-07-2009, 10:13 PM
Here's a few links regarding the Bavarian M1 carbines:

09-07-2009, 10:24 PM
bavarians are becomeing more collectable unless it is mint shoot it but do not refinish it. OG was ogden arsenal where the stock or rifle was rebuilt anyway was also stamped maybe EK which was the inspector during rebuild post war he was "elmer kieth"

09-07-2009, 11:19 PM
Does the flip sight/receiver dovetail have evidence of being peened?