PDA

View Full Version : Want to buy my first gun, need info on FLL

ItsJono
09-07-2009, 8:14 PM
I turn 21 soon and I will be purchasing my first rifle which will be a Mosin Nagant 91/30 from an online vendor, however I understand there are some things I need first. I know I need to first get my Gun License which should be pretty easy to obtain. From there I don't know what else I need or how the FFL process works when purchasing guns online. To my understanding, when I buy the gun, I need a person or company who owns the correct FFL license and give the shop the info. When the FFL receives my rifle, he resells to me?

Thanks for your help!

Librarian
09-07-2009, 8:28 PM
For a long gun, you need no 'license'; for a handgun, you would need a 'Handgun Safety Certificate (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/The_Handgun_Safety_Certificate)'.

You have the basic process correct. The on line seller needs information from a California FFL, whom you have contacted and arranged to receive the rifle.

The CA FFL doesn't actually resell it to you, because s/he never actually owns it. But s/he will do all the usual dealer things (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Buying_and_selling_firearms_in_California) California requires before transferring the rifle to you.

Don't forget a trigger lock, and to buy ammunition and cleaning tools and materials.

ItsJono
09-07-2009, 9:02 PM
For a long gun, you need no 'license'; for a handgun, you would need a 'Handgun Safety Certificate (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/The_Handgun_Safety_Certificate)'.

You have the basic process correct. The on line seller needs information from a California FFL, whom you have contacted and arranged to receive the rifle.

The CA FFL doesn't actually resell it to you, because s/he never actually owns it. But s/he will do all the usual dealer things (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Buying_and_selling_firearms_in_California) California requires before transferring the rifle to you.

Don't forget a trigger lock, and to buy ammunition and cleaning tools and materials.

Thank you for the quick and informative reply. I guess i've got the basic process down but do FFL's charge a fee for using their services?

When purchasing a rifle, do I need to wait the 10 days for a background check? Also how do I carry the rifle out of the store, i'm pretty certain I can't just plainly carry around a rifle. Do they come in cases / how much would one run for, for my Nagant.

Thank you!

Digital_Boy
09-07-2009, 9:28 PM
Actually, you don't need to wait until your 21st birthday to purchase a long arm like a Mosin. The age requirement for purchasing a long gun is 18 years old.

If you order one through the mail, it must ship to a licensed FFL holder, then go through the 10 day DROS period. If you purchase it locally, you can do cash and carry so long as the Mosin is 50 years old or older, as it will fall under the Curio and Relic classification, which are exempt from DROS requirements for long arms. Curio and Relic handguns, however, require DROS paperwork and the 10 day waiting period.

As for taking delivery of the rifle, if you buy from a private party, get a gun case before hand and transport it in that, if the seller doesn't include one with the rifle. If you purchase it over the net/mail order, then just keep it in the shipping box until you get it home. Also, if you plan to get more guns in the future, it behooves you to get a CA DOJ approved locking cabinet or safe, as having one alleviates the requirement for the vendor to sell you an action or trigger lock for another $10 or so.

Librarian
09-07-2009, 9:53 PM
Thank you for the quick and informative reply. I guess i've got the basic process down but do FFL's charge a fee for using their services?

Yes; it would be a good idea to ask the FFL how much before shipping the rifle. The fee is not regulated, so there is some variation in the amount from dealer to dealer; remember you're going to have to go back after 10 days, so there is some cost involved in just the driving back and forth.

kemasa
09-08-2009, 10:50 AM
For all practical purposes, the FFL is selling you the firearm (DROS=Dealer Record of Sale). If the firearm comes from a business, sales tax has to be collected. If it comes from a private party AND they provide a letter stating that it is a private sale, an occasional sale and that they do not have a business, then no sales tax is collected.

There is a waiting period since it goes through a dealer. C&R used to be exempt, but ...

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dlrfaqs.php#20G

20 What is the waiting period for firearms purchasers?

The waiting period for the purchase or transfer of handguns and long guns is ten (10) 24-hour periods from the date and time of the acceptance of the DROS information by the DOJ and the assignment of the unique DROS number.

(PC sections 12071, 12072)

21 Who is exempt from the waiting period?

The most common exemptions to the 10-day wait include:

1. California law enforcement officers are exempt from the waiting period if they have a letter signed by the head of the agency or commanding officer, stating they are full time paid peace officers authorized to carry a firearm in the performance of their duties and authorizing the purchase. The dealer must retain the original letter and attach it to the DROS record.
2. Persons who have special weapons permits issued by DOJ are exempt. The dealer must retain a copy of the permit and attach it to the DROS record. Qualifying special weapons permits include:
1. Possession of Short-barreled Rifle/Shotgun, (PC Section 12095);
2. Possession or Sales of Machine Guns (PC Section 12230, 12250); and
3. Possession of Destructive Device (PC Section 12305).
3. Persons who have a curio and relic collector's license issued by the BATF and who have a valid COE issued by the DOJ are exempt from the waiting period only when purchasing curio and relic firearms. The dealer must retain a copy of the FFL collector's license and the COE.
4. Dealers transferring a handgun from inventory to their personal collection are exempt from the waiting period but are still required to submit DROS records for each handgun transferred. There are no DROS submission or waiting period requirement for dealers transferring long guns to themselves for personal use. The BATF's acquisition/disposition log requirements still apply.

(PC section 12078)