PDA

View Full Version : Closing the Bristow Marksmanship Range-Commerce, CA

brassburnz
09-07-2009, 12:01 PM
**MODS- I've posted this here and in the Shoots, Meets, and Range Stories area. Please feel free to delete one or the other. I wasn't sure where to put it.***

http://www.ci.commerce.ca.us/marksmanrange.htm
Make sure you click on the "brochure button".
http://www.ci.commerce.ca.us/uploaded_files/rangeinfo.pdf

The powers that be are considering closing the Bristow Marksmanship Range in the City of Commerce. This range is unique in Southern California because it is part of the City's Department of Recreation and Parks. Yes! A City sponsored shooting range where residents can shoot for free (It's $12 a year) and non-residents can shoot for a small annual fee ($40 or $100 the last time I checked) plus range time ($5).

I used to shoot on Wednesday evenings in their weekly Bullseye matches but haven't been down there in years. They also have a very active junior marksmanship program where they've trained many shooters to compete on a national level. They even take the kids to Camp Perry, Ohio for the national matches.

The range is located in Veteran's Park in the City of Commerce. It is in the basement of the gymnasium. When you enter the building, there's a desk to the right. Ask at the desk for the range, and they'll point the way. You can either take the stairs or for us old guys, take the elevator.

Give them a quick call before heading out. Just watch out for all the little kids running around. They're everywhere.

James W. Bristow Marksmanship Range - Veterans Park
Chief Rangemaster - Elsie Cardoza
6364 Zindell Ave.
Commerce, CA 90040
562/928-3119

Facility Hours:
Tuesday - Friday
1:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Saturday
11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Closed Sunday and Monday

CHS
09-07-2009, 12:13 PM
*WHAT*???!!?

I've lived and shot in SoCal for about 10 years now and I've never even HEARD of this range!!

The brochure leaves out a bit of information though.

How many yards is the range?
Do they allow any kind of centerfire rifle?
Do they allow pistol-caliber rifle? (OC Sheriffs range does NOT)

I find it kinda annoying that you have to take a class to be able to shoot there when I've been a safe shooter for over 20 years, but whatever. How much and how long is the class?

brassburnz
09-07-2009, 12:45 PM
The range is basically set up for NRA 50 foot smallbore rifle and NRA conventional pistol 50 foot gallery course of fire. If you can show competency in NRA conventional and/or combat pistol, you should be fine. It's a range for teaching marksmanship.

No rifle calibers. No rifles other than .22 rimfire.

The best thing to do is stop by on a Wednesday evening and shoot a match. Shooting starts at 5:30 pm so get there around 5:00. All you need is a .22 pistol.

CHS
09-07-2009, 1:30 PM
The best thing to do is stop by on a Wednesday evening and shoot a match. Shooting starts at 5:30 pm so get there around 5:00. All you need is a .22 pistol.

Yuck :( That really sucks. I don't get out of work typically till 7 and commerce isn't too far away, but it's enough of a hike that even if I got off work early, it would be a pretty painful drive around the 4 oclock hour.

I would definitely like to check the range out at some point soon though.

only10x
10-03-2009, 7:43 PM
The Bristow Marksmanship Range is a membership Only Range thus the Safety class. It is required of all first time memberships and is intended mostly for new or novice shooters. Since it is city owned the range staff takes this responsibility very serious, any accident can be the end of the range. Active law enforcement,NRA classified shooters and the like are not given a class per se but will be given an orientation on range lay-out, rules and range mannerisms.

www.bristowmarksmanshiprange.webs.com

Can'thavenuthingood
10-03-2009, 10:11 PM
Are they considering selling the whole works off to privatize it?

A range in the city has to be convenient for many people once the hours of operation are adjusted.
And its in the Veterans Memorial Park away from residential area.
Looks like a decent place.

What are the butts? Smashplate? Rubber?
Ventilation system updated?

SUNDAY CLOSED
MONDAY CLOSED
TUESDAY 1:30 - 8:30 PM
WEDNESDAY 1:30 - 8:30 PM
THURSDAY 1:30 - 8:30 PM
FRIDAY 1:30 - 8:30 PM
SATURDAY 11:30 - 4:00 PM

$40 membership plus $5 range fee.

Employee lead levels are okay, same with zinc.

I think its a push from the anti-gun bunch to close it.

Vick

762cavalier
10-03-2009, 10:20 PM
Is the NRA aware of the potential closure. They do have programs to help ranges stay open.

only10x
02-16-2010, 12:03 AM
Hello CAL guns
Tuesday Feb 16 2010 The City of Commerce city council will reach a decision regarding the future of the Bristow Marksmanship Range range.

http://www.bristowmarksmanshiprange.webs.com/
http://www.ci.commerce.ca.us/uploaded_files/02_02_2010.pdf

(is the Agenda) notice that 'Staff' will recommend the closure and decommissioning of the marksmanship range. item #12
This is only a recommendation, council ultimately has the final word.

THIS IS AN URGENT APPEAL TO THE SHOOTING COMMUNITY.
Southern California cannot afford to loose another shooting venue.
If you can make the meeting, we need all the support possible to help keep this range open.

5655 Jillson Street
Commerce, CA 90040
at 6:30p.m sharp

(if you would like to address the council, a speakers card must be filled out,they are located in a box next to the city clerks chair)

wkd4496
02-16-2010, 12:32 AM
Oh no! :[ My dad took me here when I fired my first gun (.38 detective special). Cannot let this happen.

Riodog
02-16-2010, 12:34 AM
Sorry to hear this. I used to shoot there with a local PD team over 30 years ago. Hope they keep it open as there are not enough city sponsored type ranges left.
Rio

steadyrock
02-16-2010, 11:31 AM
BTT

PLEASE attend tonight and speak if at all possible, on such short notice! The Bristow range and its staff and matches are a tremendous asset to the community. It would be a shame to see this closed. Where else can you get a range membership for such little expense?

Can'thavenuthingood
02-16-2010, 4:45 PM
Bumped up.

You Calgunners with some free time tonight ought to go over to this meeting. If nothing else than to see what is going on and how the anti's go about closing down a shooting range.

You may be the one that tips the scale against closing it.

Vick

steadyrock
02-17-2010, 1:51 PM
GOOD NEWS!

I just got off the phone with CGN member only10x, who is closely attached to this battle and he told me that the City Council granted a 30 day extension to the hearing before making any decisions. The range is working in close cooperation with counsel and the NRA, and expect to have a very well-organized plan in place soon that will bring the range up to current OSHA standards at minimal cost.

Stay tuned for additional developments, as soon as I know anything I will post it here. Be assured that those fighting for this range are well aware of Calguns, and what we can bring to their aid. Your willingness to attend and speak at City Council meetings was noticed last night and will be appreciated during the next meeting.

SFranklin@Michel&Assoc.
02-17-2010, 5:02 PM
I appeared at the Commerce City Council meeting last night as legal counsel on behalf of the NRA. It is true that the City Council granted our request for a 30-day postponement. Despite what anyone may have heard, however, the details regarding closure alternatives available to the City Council have not been evaluated outside of city staff’s work on the issue (which culminated in a recommendation that the Bristow Range be shut down). If you want more details on what happened at the meeting, please visit www.calgunlaws.com. Updates will be posted on this issue as it unfolds.