View Full Version : Closing the Bristow Marksmanship Range-Commerce, CA

09-07-2009, 10:51 AM

The powers that be are considering closing the Bristow Marksmanship Range in the City of Commerce. This range is unique in Southern California because it is part of the City's Department of Recreation and Parks. Yes! A City sponsored shooting range where residents can shoot for free (It's $12 a year) and non-residents can shoot for a small annual fee ($40 or $100 the last time I checked) plus range time ($5).

I used to shoot on Wednesday evenings in their weekly Bullseye matches but haven't been down there in years. They also have a very active junior marksmanship program where they've trained many shooters to compete on a national level. They even take the kids to Camp Perry, Ohio for the national matches.

The range is located in Veteran's Park in the City of Commerce. It is in the basement of the gymnasium. When you enter the building, there's a desk to the right. Ask at the desk for the range, and they'll point the way. You can either take the stairs or for us old guys, take the elevator.

Give them a quick call before heading out. Just watch out for all the little kids running around. They're everywhere.

James W. Bristow Marksmanship Range - Veterans Park
Chief Rangemaster - Elsie Cardoza
6364 Zindell Ave.
Commerce, CA 90040

Facility Hours:
Tuesday - Friday
1:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Closed Sunday and Monday

09-07-2009, 1:11 PM
Do you have a cite for this info? Is there anyone to contact for further information?

09-07-2009, 3:00 PM
Funny, I used to work next door to that park (Langendorf Bakery) and used to park within sight of that building and see people going in with targets and always wondered if the range was open to the public. It would be a shame to see another range close.

09-07-2009, 3:02 PM
Contact the Chief Rangemaster - Elsie Cardoza 562/928-3119

There isn't a website dedicated to the problem. Members are being notified via email. One of the employees is setting up something. I'll post more information when it becomes available.

11-05-2009, 10:00 AM
Any updates on this? I work around the corner from there and used to go to this range quite a bit at lunchtime (late lunch due to their odd hours). I did get a letter in the mail about a public hearing for lead contamination, but haven't heard anything else. It would be a shame to see this range closed, it truly was a gem in this little city. Where else can you get unlimited range time for less than $5/month? I'll call Elsie and see what I can find out. If anybody already knows anything, please post an update.

11-06-2009, 9:50 PM
Last I checked...I believe monday or tuesday the range was still closed. Hopefully they re-open soon.

12-07-2009, 2:03 PM
I just called the city and they told me the range is closed for now, and its future is uncertain. Doesn't sound good. The lady on the phone did not give me any timeline or additional information about whether it would be re-opened.

Is there another pistol range anywhere near Commerce?

Mail Clerk
12-09-2009, 5:23 AM
Haven't your ever wondered/noticed that in the L.A./OC area someone is trying to close shooting ranges! We lost the San Gabriel Valley Gun Club due to dirty politics that I can't go into right now AND currently the Inland Fish n Game range is under scrunity of the same thing. I hope you guys have contacted the NRA and or the CRPA about this.

My two cents. Try and have a Happy Holiday.

Mail Clerk

12-10-2009, 6:40 AM
My company is just behind the Citadel. I was wondering about the range. It seems like a great set-up. If there is anything I can do to help keep the range open let me know. Sometimes hearing from local businesses helps.

12-14-2009, 1:26 PM
My company is just behind the Citadel. I was wondering about the range. It seems like a great set-up. If there is anything I can do to help keep the range open let me know. Sometimes hearing from local businesses helps.

Hi neighbor. :)

Try calling Jim Jimenez, director of the Parks and Recreation department: (323) 887-4434. Let him know your thoughts and then post his responses here. My company is one of the largest in the city, and I've been a member of that range for 2 years. If he is at all open to listening, I'd like to know.

02-16-2010, 10:14 AM

If anyone is able to attend tonight's City Council meeting, PLEASE post in this thread. The Bristow Marksmanship Range is a tremendous asset to the community, and the city is giving the short shrift to the range. As only10x said, we cannot afford to lose another shooting range in Los Angeles! Please attend if you are able, this may be our last hope to keep this range open. Where else can you get a range membership for < $20 per year?

02-17-2010, 12:50 PM

I just got off the phone with CGN member only10x, who is closely attached to this battle and he told me that the City Council granted a 30 day extension to the hearing before making any decisions. The range is working in close cooperation with counsel and the NRA, and expect to have a very well-organized plan in place soon that will bring the range up to current OSHA standards at minimal cost.

Stay tuned for additional developments, as soon as I know anything I will post it here. Be assured that those fighting for this range are well aware of Calguns, and what we can bring to their aid. Your willingness to attend and speak at City Council meetings was noticed last night and will be appreciated during the next meeting.