PDA

View Full Version : Thumbhole stock definition?

Pulsar
08-09-2005, 6:15 PM
Does california have a legal definition of a thumbole stock? I did a search, but I couldn't find anything. Are all thumbhole stocks illegal? Or would it be legal as long as the web between your thumb and index finger were still above the top of the trigger.

Just wondering cause I found a very nice piece of maple burl my dad had collected years ago, and it has a natural hole in it perfect to make a thumbole stock for some rifle (I haevn't decided which one yet). I just was curious if it would be legal to make it into a stock for something like an M1A.

bwiese
08-09-2005, 7:17 PM
The DOJ probably has something out there establishing what is/isn't a thumbhole stock.

I wouldn't worry about it because you could get too close to the mark: thumbhole stocks are a key item in Calif's definition of assault weapons (emphasis below is mine):

PC12276.1 (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
(B)A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.
(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.

If you put a thumbhole stock on your M1A you are making an assault weapon.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Pulsar
08-09-2005, 8:18 PM
Guess I'll just have to make it into something for a bolt action, I can't just let this piece of burl go to waste.

Librarian
08-09-2005, 10:43 PM
California Code of Regulations, section 978.20 (e) “thumbhole stock” means a stock with a hole that allows the thumb of the trigger hand to penetrate into or through the stock while firing.

Mssr. Elegant
08-09-2005, 11:53 PM
You could always make it into a thumbhole stock for a Ruger 10/22. Rimfire rifles can't be considered "assault weapons" under California law.

Pulsar
08-10-2005, 10:42 AM
Yeah, I was thinking about doing that, or possibly a give my self a real challenge and try it with a garand.

fun2none
08-19-2005, 1:47 AM
http://www.airgunsbbguns.com/photos/cro13990-2.jpg

Is this a thumbhole stock ? Adapt one of these to a 1911 or Glock, AND a 16" barrel, you might have one fun little plinker; assuming it's legal in CA.

stillbigmac
08-19-2005, 8:18 AM
zthe adapter stock is illegal to install here in CA... sorry to be the wet blanket.

Librarian
08-19-2005, 1:11 PM
I think the reasoning on the adapter is 'semi auto, center fire, removable magazine, pistol grip' - a combination of features that makes a California 'assault weapon'.