PDA

View Full Version : New Activity on AB962 ... since 8/27/09

4thSeal
09-06-2009, 1:57 PM
In the last 2 weeks there have been mulitple votes and activity on this bill... not sure what it all means but it looks like it might be out and gaining ground again...

http://info.sen.ca.gov/cgi-bin/pagequery?type=sen_bilinfo&site=sen&title=Bill+Information

search AB962

Sinestr
09-06-2009, 2:04 PM
:shrug:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=219098http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=176297

Legasat
09-06-2009, 2:20 PM
So, if I read this right:

>still have to provide ID and thumb print.
>can only buy FTF from a proper "vendor" (no internet sales)
>goes in effect on Feb 1, 2011
>still excludes C&R.

Gone from the new ammendment:
/the 50 round limit
/start date got changed to Feb 1, 2011

Still unacceptable, but better than it was. The new start date gives us more time to challenge it.

Is that about right?

pretz
09-06-2009, 2:27 PM
In the last 2 weeks there have been mulitple votes and activity on this bill... not sure what it all means but it looks like it might be out and gaining ground again...

http://info.sen.ca.gov/cgi-bin/pagequery?type=sen_bilinfo&site=sen&title=Bill+Information

search AB962

Yeah, they are gaining ground. I don't understand the procedure this bill has to go through, but it passed the second reading by a committee, and is headed for a third reading. I suspect it will pass again. I don't know where it goes to from there, but it will eventually head for a full vote from the Senate, and eventually onto the Governor's desk for signing.

The bad news is it is progressing. The good news is there is still some time left. It may be premature to lobby the Governor, but it would be a good time to lobby those on that particular committee, expressing support for those who oppose this measure, and (polite, well reasoned) disagreement with those who are for this measure.

Thanks for the update!

nickvig
09-06-2009, 2:36 PM
Did anyone notice this:

This act shall be known, and may be cited, as the Anti-Gang Neighborhood Protection Act of 2009

What does killing internet sales and mail order sales of ammunition have to do with 'Anti-gang Neighborhood Protection'? When are these lawmakers going to realize that gangs don't purchase ammo legally. It always seems like they're only out to punish those who do live by the letter of the law.

So they've spun the wording on this bill to make it seem like it's going to keep ammo out of the hands of those 'associated with a criminal street gang' when it will do absolutely nothing to even curtail gangs from getting ammo.

Ridiculous.

nick
09-06-2009, 2:40 PM
Did anyone notice this:

What does killing internet sales and mail order sales of ammunition have to do with 'Anti-gang Neighborhood Protection'? When are these lawmakers going to realize that gangs don't purchase ammo legally. It always seems like they're only out to punish those who do live by the letter of the law.

Ridiculous.

Meaning, you're actually buying that they honestly state their goals? I don't think they're ignorant, just dishonest.

Vtec44
09-06-2009, 2:42 PM
Time to make some phone calls on Tuesday.

obeygiant
09-06-2009, 2:55 PM
you may want to check out the following 2 threads that are already going on this subject.

Main thread for AB962 (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=176297&page=221)

Second thread for AB962 (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=219098&page=7)

PatriotnMore
09-06-2009, 3:03 PM
What does killing internet sales and mail order sales of ammunition have to do with 'Anti-gang Neighborhood Protection'? Ridiculous.

This is how it's done, it is given some name that is patriotic, like the patriot act, or a title for the protection of children, animals, seniors, or anti gang. Most of the time they have little to do with what the title suggests, but to those who don't take the time to actually read except the title, they see Anti Gang, or patriot and assume this must be for the good. Usually it is only a bill to deny and subvert freedom, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

I like to call them bills of irony, where the reality of them, is just the opposite of the title they give it. After all, if the bill were to be called the, Anti Gun and Ammunition Bill, the whole State would be up in arms, and ready for a fight.

Yet here is another example of the voice of the people ignored. A strong opposition to this and other bills has been put to our representatives, and they simply don't care.

When we get fed up, and take back our government, we will once again have what was given, and meant for us to have. Till then, enjoy what freedoms you have left.

The good news is, the time for elections are just around the corner. If you want to send a strong message, vote them ALL out of office, and replace the whole lot with new representatives. If they don't listen, do it all over again the next election cycle, and we will eventually get their ear.

HondaMasterTech
09-06-2009, 5:43 PM
It may not be too early to give your input to the GOV. I see this bill passing the senate.

forgiven
09-07-2009, 2:27 AM
Did anyone notice this:

So they've spun the wording on this bill to make it seem like it's going to keep ammo out of the hands of those 'associated with a criminal street gang' when it will do absolutely nothing to even curtail gangs from getting ammo.

Ridiculous.

Their not trying to keep the ammo from the criminals, they want to keep it from us.

smallshot13
09-07-2009, 8:35 AM
Did anyone notice this:

Ridiculous.

I said it before on other 962 threads, follow the money to California's big ammunition retailers. I expect you would find their fingers in this pie. Again, follow the money. CA has a real concern collecting sales tax dollars from internet sales. The public be $$^^&$, if they were concerned about crime, they would enforce existing laws. They are after the $$'s, it is really that simple.

Gator Monroe
09-07-2009, 8:38 AM
How bout "The Anti Gang tighter Border Enforcement act of 2010" ?

cortayack
09-07-2009, 10:24 AM
How bout "The Anti Gang tighter Border Enforcement act of 2010" ?

We can't do that, that would be racist!..............:rolleyes:

curtisfong
09-07-2009, 1:02 PM
follow the money to California's big ammunition retailers. I expect you would find their fingers in this pie. Again, follow the money. CA has a real concern collecting sales tax dollars from internet sales. The public be $$^^&$, if they were concerned about crime, they would enforce existing laws. They are after the $$'s, it is really that simple.

That was my first thought when I heard about AB962. But i'm just not feeling it. If that were the case, Finance would have said something to that effect in Appropriations.

Still, I concede there is a possibility you are right, I just think its unlikely.

Tanner68
09-07-2009, 1:06 PM
I said it before on other 962 threads, follow the money to California's big ammunition retailers. I expect you would find their fingers in this pie. Again, follow the money. CA has a real concern collecting sales tax dollars from internet sales. The public be $$^^&$, if they were concerned about crime, they would enforce existing laws. They are after the $$'s, it is really that simple.

So who are the big ammunition vendors in California that would benefit? If I don't order online, I occasionally buy from the paltry selection at a gun shop, or sometimes at the range. But there aren't any big consolidated ammo vendors that I know about in California. And wouldn't their sales be hurt as well by the new restrictions and encumbrances that the law would pose?

GW
09-07-2009, 11:18 PM
And wouldn't their sales be hurt as well by the new restrictions and encumbrances that the law would pose?

Hardly! It would remove their greatest source of competition. It would be the greatest boon ever to the in-state gun/ammo dealers. If this happens you can expect to really see prices soar. Then our benign and loving assembly will start getting more ideas. especially when gang bangers still seem to have plenty of ammo, despite their well-intended, well thought law. Who wants to bet against the idea of Rob Reiner lobbying for a new Meathead tax on ammo like he did cigarettes?

Its for the children...

KylaGWolf
09-08-2009, 8:20 PM
So who are the big ammunition vendors in California that would benefit? If I don't order online, I occasionally buy from the paltry selection at a gun shop, or sometimes at the range. But there aren't any big consolidated ammo vendors that I know about in California. And wouldn't their sales be hurt as well by the new restrictions and encumbrances that the law would pose?

No they would not benefit. They would have to eat the cost to pay the fees of this bill.

freonr22
09-08-2009, 8:25 PM
I think they would not eat the cost as in lose profit, but in reality pass it on to us, keep the same % ie get more profit. cost=$8.50 sell=$10 = 15% (as an example) more regs/overhead still 15% profit margin cost $10 sell $11.76, so instead of making $1.50/box they make $1.76...