PDA

View Full Version : Great deal on WWII era German Mauser Rifles!

Big Jake
09-06-2009, 8:53 AM
I found a great deal on a WWII German Mauser rifle and it includes original accesories that went wth the rifle! I am going to buy one and I thought I would let you guys know about it.

If you are interested check out their web site at www.mauser.org

Vin496
09-06-2009, 9:05 AM
I found a great deal on a WWII German Mauser rifle and it includes original accesories that went wth the rifle! I am going to buy one and I thought I would let you guys know about it.

That's Mitchell Mauser, I hear lots of negative reviews about them, most claiming they are parts rifles of new and old origin. Forced matching of numbers and selling as a real matched gun.

rct442
09-06-2009, 9:14 AM
They also have a new production M63 "Tanker" rifle.
http://www.mauser.org/rifles/M63%20Tanker/M63vM48.jpg
It's kind of cute because it's so short. I love the blonde wood, and that it can be chambered in 308, instead of 8mm.

tempdrummer
09-06-2009, 9:26 AM
The reason why people dont like them is because they are misleading. The ad for this package says "in Collector grade" "it will INCREASE in value"

Its actually the opposite. Those rifles WERE collectible k98's until they stripped them, made fake matching numbers, polished the bolts and put on new stocks.

Are they nice rifles? Sure
Are they a good deal for a nice rifle? Sure
Are they collector grade K98's? Absolutely not.

Oh yeah and the $400 worth of accessories is actually worth about $75.
Im also pretty sure some of those "original" accessories are actually for a mosin rifle.

Big Jake
09-06-2009, 9:30 AM
Thanks for the info. I will rethink my purchase as I have not bought it yet! Maybe I will go down to them in the OC and inspect the rifle before I buy it.

tempdrummer
09-06-2009, 9:41 AM
Thanks for the info. I will rethink my purchase as I have not bought it yet! Maybe I will go down to them in the OC and inspect the rifle before I buy it.

No prob. Like I said i'm sure they are nice rifles it just depends what you want to do with it. If your looking for something with collector value/history I would either go to www.classicarms.us or watch the for sale area on this site.

If you just want something nice, rebuilt and ready to shoot then there shouldn't really be anything wrong with the mitchell's.

CSACANNONEER
09-06-2009, 9:41 AM
Im also pretty sure some of those "original" accessories are actually for a mosin rifle.

No, they are not for Mosin's. The accessories are all for Mausers. Otherwise, I agree with everything else you said.

tempdrummer
09-06-2009, 9:46 AM
No, they are not for Mosin's. The accessories are all for Mausers. Otherwise, I agree with everything else you said.

Ah ok. The dark brown ammo pouches towards the bottom of the accessories blurb looked like mosin ammo pouches. I rescind that comment. :D

CSACANNONEER
09-06-2009, 9:55 AM
Ah ok. The dark brown ammo pouches towards the bottom of the accessories blurb looked like mosin ammo pouches. I rescind that comment. :D

Yea, I sold a Mauser (really two) to a friend last week and I ended up having to dig through a box for the accessories. There was Mosin stuff in there too so, it took me a second to remember which was which.

Most people I know who have receiver Mitchell Mauser rifles really like them. as clean looking shooters, they can't be beat! As high grade collectibles, like anything else, you need to know your stuff before you invest in anything. Anyone want to invest in POGS? Beanie Babies? 1990's baseball cards? Power Rangers? Yea, there may still be a marked for the best of the best in all the above catagories but, most people end up loosing their investments. At least, when it comes to firearms, there will always be a utilitarian value in them.

B Strong
09-06-2009, 10:58 AM

Mitchell's Mausers will sell you a shooter for the price of a collector.

They're not to be trusted.

Having said that, I'd buy a "Tanker" (foriegn contract rifle my ***) for the $150.00 it's worth.

xibunkrlilkidsx
09-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Yea, I sold a Mauser (really two) to a friend last week and I ended up having to dig through a box for the accessories. There was Mosin stuff in there too so, it took me a second to remember which was which.

Most people I know who have receiver Mitchell Mauser rifles really like them. as clean looking shooters, they can't be beat! As high grade collectibles, like anything else, you need to know your stuff before you invest in anything. Anyone want to invest in POGS? Beanie Babies? 1990's baseball cards? Power Rangers? Yea, there may still be a marked for the best of the best in all the above catagories but, most people end up loosing their investments. At least, when it comes to firearms, there will always be a utilitarian value in them.

lol i collected almost all of those,except beanie babies. i miss POGS...

Fate
09-06-2009, 11:41 AM
Mitchell's Mausers are the carneys of the gun world.

Sampachi
09-06-2009, 11:45 AM

Having said that, I'd buy a "Tanker" (foriegn contract rifle my ***) for the $150.00 it's worth.

Exactly.
The "Tankers" look like fun, and I'd buy one for $150... maybe even $250 for the .308 model. Incidentally, they were never meant for vehicle crews, but were built as a hunter's rifle by Zastava.

joefrank64k
09-06-2009, 1:44 PM

If you are interested check out their web site at www.mauser.org (http://www.mauser.org)

Lots of chatter about Mitchells on the net...a lot of it is very negative...here's a few links:

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=361836

http://www.odcmp.org/new_forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=11256

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3418426

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=123492

There are plenty of reputable places on the net....I've bought from:

http://www.empirearms.com/

http://www.cherrys.com/

http://www.aimsurplus.com/

http://www.collectiblefirearms.com/index.html

http://simpsonltd.com/ (can be a little on the high-side, but they will spend all day with you on the phone going over any guns you're interested in)

As always, YMMV!!! Good luck!!!

7.62x54R
09-06-2009, 1:55 PM

Me too id by a tanker for 150

Asphodel
09-06-2009, 2:32 PM
The phrase 'a shooter for the price of a collector' sums up that outfit rather nicely, actually.

This is about twenty-ish years ago, the now, but I got to see a somewhat similar situation at a couple of gun shows.

A fraudulent dealer was selling 'star-gauged' 03 Springfields. I was far from expertly knowledgeable in Springfields at that time, but even I could easily see that the star gauge muzzle stamp was marked on versions of the 03 which would never have been so gauged/marked at Springfield. (there are serial number ranges, and other details, which determine this)

At a gun show, or when inspecting any collectible firearm, your best friends, aside from having memorised the appropriate technical details from good reference works, (Brophy's book on Springfields, or Ludwig Olsen's book on Mausers, for example) are a good small hand-torch, and a good pocket magnifier (Hastings Triplet or Coddington, or equivalent)

In the case of the fraudulent 'collectible' Springfields, it was quite obvious when inspected under good light and magnification, that the marking was fairly recently done, and, in that case, all done by the same stamp. It was rather obvious that the dealer, or some friend of his, had had a counterfeit star-gauge stamp made up......it did look very much like a real one, I'd give them that.

I'll happily admit that I don't know the 'fine points' of Mausers, myself .......but those have been researched by many interested people, and the details published, most of which are readily available on the internet, these days.

There is no reasonable excuse for failing to 'investigate before you invest'.

Just recently, I had occasion to look at a Mosin-Nagant, which was a very nice arsenal rebuild, to all appearances.

Actually, it was someone's very nice external refinish......the bore had been counter-bored, and was very badly pitted.....the rifle was a cute wall decoration, but would have needed a new barrel to be worth shooting. It had an importer's marking on it, not Mitchell, but another of the large-scale importers/dealers.

I've no idea as to how that importer had advertised the condition of that rifle, but I'd be tempted to suspect that they'd not mentioned the condition of the bore.

Someone buying that rifle on a 'mail-order' basis, after seeing clear photos of the external appearance, might well have felt a bit disappointed, I'd think.

cheers

Carla

socomIInato
09-06-2009, 4:56 PM
M63 is nice in 8mm make a nice companion too my M44. too cheap to shoot rifles with a big boom and flash! $250 would be a fair price for it. IMO

Rem222
09-06-2009, 4:58 PM
I saw my first Mitchell Mauser at the range last Friday. Beautiful, a really nice looking rifle. The owner let me handle it and I was very impressed. They are not for me but the guy was happy with his rifle and that's all that matters.

Dr. Peter Venkman
09-07-2009, 12:17 AM
Don't go saying you found a great deal on "WWII era Mausers" and then link mitchell's mausers. This thread feels like a feeler thrown out to gain feedback.

Big Jake
09-07-2009, 6:46 AM
I am glad I started this thread before I bought one. It sounds like I should go elswhere for a Mauser and I will. Thanks to all for "schooling" me! :notworthy:

reidnez
09-07-2009, 9:05 AM
My question is how they got a ".org" domain name when they are a for-profit business? I thought that suffix was reserved for nonprofits, NGO's, etc.

Anyway, I have a Mitchell's and it's a fine rifle. I don't delude myself thinking it's a collector piece or that I got a good deal on it, and in retrospect I do wish I'd educated myself a bit more before buying...but the way I look at it, I still enjoy shooting it and looking at it. That's really the only litmus test for any firearm in my book.

I heard many people make the same argument about the CMP "special" grade M1's which have a new barrel, new wood and are totally re-parkerized--that it's a "bastardized" rifle. The way I look at it, almost all these milsurps (or at least the ones which are still serviceable) have been re-arsenalled at least once in their history. Whether by the country of origin, the capturing country, the importer, a private owner who sanded the stock...whomever. So all we're really arguing about is how *recently* it was "bastardized," and by whom, and whether that detracts from historical value.

Don't get me wrong, I do think Mitchell's is being dishonest and overcharging for their product when you look at it from a collector's standpoint. But I will say that looking at it strictly as a rifle to appreciate and shoot, compared to new-production rifles, I don't think they're horribly overpriced.

lineman66
09-07-2009, 9:14 AM
I bought a mitchell's mauser about 5 years ago, still have it. It's a great rifle, never failed to fire when I pulled the trigger, but I do agree with many here that mitchell's misrepresented what they were selling (but then again, what company doesn't go a bit far in their marketing/ad material). Paid $300 for it, most likely a bit high, and bayonet that came with the rifle was cool but didn't really need to the rest of the accys. Overall, happy with what I got, but if I had to do it again, I would not buy from Mitchell's knowing what I know now. I can't fault a rifle for being sold by a crooked merchant, even more so when the rifle functions perfectly.

Cato
09-07-2009, 2:42 PM
Mitchell's Mausers is the most "un-cool" place to get your WWII Mauser. I guess if you want a rifle that has been rebuilt and are willing to pay for it, then go for it.

Otherwise we all remember the dishonest business practices Mitchell's Mausers used a few years ago. For much less the price, you can get a K98 in excellent condition and refinish it and clean it up yourself. That's what I did and I really enjoyed the process. You also get to know your rifle intimately.

emcon5
09-07-2009, 3:52 PM
For much less the price, you can get a K98 in excellent condition and refinish it and clean it up yourself.Where?

Does anyone still stock German K98ks? The only place I see that lists them is Classic Arms which has what they describe as not good enough for good. The description includes words like "hatcheted", and "crudely obliterated"

They want $200 for them, which makes $250 for a "Service Grade" shooter from Mitchel not look too bad.

Trench Broom
09-07-2009, 4:21 PM
I remember seeing the Mitchell's adds in "American Rifleman" years ago when I was first getting into Mausers. The rifles sure looked nice, but I thought the price was a bit high. Saw one at Burro back in January - as said before, no collectible value, but a real nice looker, and the owner was more than happy with it.

socomIInato
09-07-2009, 8:37 PM
if you want a good looking 98k these mitchell are pretty too look at. if they have a smooth action and good bores and shoot straight that not a bad thing. to bad the bolts aren`t blued. but when you buy one and know what going on regarding authenticity I don`t see the problem. I would buy one if it was at a fair price.

reidnez
09-08-2009, 8:39 AM
if you want a good looking 98k these mitchell are pretty too look at. if they have a smooth action and good bores and shoot straight that not a bad thing. to bad the bolts aren`t blued. but when you buy one and know what going on regarding authenticity I don`t see the problem. I would buy one if it was at a fair price.

It is really a shame that they refinish them so badly...98K bolts never left the factory in the white, so I don't know why Mitchell's decided they look better that way. Anyway, I'm planning on blueing my bolt and darkening the stock a bit with some sort of oil, maybe even putting a few dings in it :p. Basically trying to make it look a bit more beat-up and authentic since it's not a collector's piece anyway. The action is butter-smooth, it shoots straight and I can find reasonably-priced ammo. Good enough for me.

Trench Broom
09-09-2009, 3:05 AM
I've noticed that on the original blued finish on WWII K98 bolts that the extractor is usually a different shade - more of a brown or purplish/brown. Why is this? :confused: Different steel in the extractor? Or part of their bluing process? My K98 and 33/40 both have this purplish/brown finish present on the extractors as well.

Mssr. Eleganté
09-09-2009, 3:25 AM
I've noticed that on the original blued finish on WWII K98 bolts that the extractor is usually a different shade - more of a brown or purplish/brown. Why is this? :confused: Different steel in the extractor? Or part of their bluing process? My K98 and 33/40 both have this purplish/brown finish present on the extractors as well.

Yes, I think it has something to do with the extractor being made out of "spring steel". The different type of steel takes bluing differently.

luckystrike
09-11-2009, 4:29 AM

yeah thats right.the extractors go thru a different process, no springs involved, but the extractor is cooled in oil after manufacture process wich is what gives it the "bend factor" that takes the job instead of a coilspring.

emcon5
09-11-2009, 8:18 AM
yeah thats right.the extractors go thru a different process, no springs involved, but the extractor is cooled in oil after manufacture process wich is what gives it the "bend factor" that takes the job instead of a coilspring."Spring Steel" is just a type of steel that has a will return to shape after being bent, it doesn't mean there is an actual spring. The extractor being made from spring steel makes sense.

Where?

Does anyone still stock German K98ks? The only place I see that lists them is Classic Arms which has what they describe as not good enough for good. The description includes words like "hatcheted", and "crudely obliterated"

They want $200 for them, which makes $250 for a "Service Grade" shooter from Mitchel not look too bad.

Still like to see an answer to this question.

weatherman
09-11-2009, 8:30 AM
There was a topic on here a while back where another calguns member had said that Mitchell's will actually apply fake stampings on the receiver to make it look like an SS model, or other variant...

Pretty shady... (if it's true)

paratroop
09-11-2009, 8:48 AM
you know i saw a mitchells ad in a magazine a while back that rekindled my fondness for curio & relics. first thing i do is find out what other people think of this place.after my due diligence, i found out most folks dont like mitchells. and they are dishonest and overpriced. so i started to look for a genuine 98k. slim pickens brothers. compared to what ive seen lately, those pretty mitchells mausers actually dont look too bad.

Dr. Peter Venkman
09-11-2009, 3:19 PM
compared to what ive seen lately, those pretty mitchells mausers actually dont look too bad.

You must not be looking very hard. They are for sale from a lot of distributors, RCArms for one.

Crusader
09-11-2009, 5:51 PM
Personally, I don't find the Russian Capture Kar98ks to hold all that much historical value. The only reason I get them is because they are still cheap.

If all you want is a shooter, there is nothing wrong with Mitchell's Mausers. Not only do they work really well, they also look nice.

paratroop
09-11-2009, 10:36 PM
You must not be looking very hard. They are for sale from a lot of distributors, RCArms for one.

thanks doc. ive never seen rcarms before. some nice looking guns.

Dr. Peter Venkman
09-12-2009, 1:43 AM
Personally, I don't find the Russian Capture Kar98ks to hold all that much historical value. The only reason I get them is because they are still cheap.

RC K98s found more action than the all-matching ones that never left the factory or were only in the hands of guards.

Crusader
09-12-2009, 1:59 AM
Very interesting