PDA

View Full Version : Temporarily Moving out of California, Handgun Registration?

marklbucla
07-25-2005, 1:05 AM
I wrote to the DOJ and didn't get a response, but I was wondering if any of you would have any insight on the matter.

I'm temporarily going to be moving out of California and may move back after three years (After setting up Residency in AL). All of my handguns should already be registered with the DOJ.

1. Do I need to re-register them upon my return to the state?

2. Can I leave some handguns here in a DOJ approved lock box/safe and retain the key? If so, will that avoid the importation registration requirement, if it would apply at all in the first place?

Thanks in advance.

jsergovic
07-25-2005, 6:09 AM
A year and a half ago I was told by the CDOJ that although the law reads that new residents, as you would be upon returning, must self-register handguns @ $14 each, there was no money allocated for enforcement. The law, therefore, was considered unenforcable by the people who interpret the firearms law [the CDOJ itself]. This may have changed; you may get conflicting answers from the CDOJ itself.

CDOJ will supply you with a list of the firearms they have listed as registered to you. Unless you correct them, the list should read the same upon return as it reads upon departure.

Good chance to buy that vintage Colt you've always wanted. Don't bring back any evil black rifles.

kalibear
07-25-2005, 8:36 AM
Why would you want to move back? http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

marklbucla
07-25-2005, 10:15 AM
It depends on where the jobs are...

But the bigger reason is that my fiancee and both our families are three blocks away in West LA.

07-26-2005, 11:39 AM
About those evil black rifles, I thought their was an exception when you moved into the state that you could bring them in and register them. When I moved in I sold a perfect AR15 with the evil bayonet lug and all due to the CA gun ban but was told I could have brought it in and registered it.

marklbucla
07-26-2005, 11:48 AM
Are you talking about after the registration period ended or before?

07-26-2005, 2:29 PM
After. Let me break it down. Say I live in TX and own an evil AR-15 and move to Cali, can I register it. I was told yes after I moved here but wanted to see if others agree. You know CA gun laws, they make no sense.

Ted_Bell
07-26-2005, 3:11 PM
The law is structured such that the gun is yours until you die. You can't sell it in state. You can't trade it in state. And when you die, you can not pass it on to your kids. Hard to believe, but true. They are clever little devils in the Sac.

-hanko
07-26-2005, 4:32 PM
Originally posted by 50ae:
After. Let me break it down. Say I live in TX and own an evil AR-15 and move to Cali, can I register it. I was told yes after I moved here but wanted to see if others agree. You know CA gun laws, they make no sense.
Before the prk ban went into effect, you could bring AR(s) into the state. Ban was originally scheduled to start 1/1/01, but was extended into mid-January of that year. As long as registration paperwork was mailed by the mid-Jan. date & approved, the gun was legal as a registered "AW".

After the registration date, it's absolutely not legal to bring what the prk defines as an "AW" into the state.

Handguns not classified as "AW's" can still be imported, but you're supposed to file paperwork and fees after you arrive in the prk.

I gotta' know, WHY would you not take your pistols to a free state??

-hanko

marklbucla
07-26-2005, 11:03 PM
I've bought some guns that just don't work for me that I never shoot. I basically keep them around for newbies to try out at the range. Besides, free space is precious to me as I'm driving cross country in only a Camry.

I'm not leaving everything behind. I'm taking my current and future CCW guns and maybe a 1911, but that's about it in the way of handguns.

marklbucla
07-27-2005, 10:40 AM
OK, finally got my response from the DOJ

Mark: If you purchased the weapons in California and move out of California and then back to California, you do not have to complete the New Resident Form - of course that only applies to handguns that you purchased in California. If you buy handguns in another state and then move into California, then the form would have to be completed.

07-27-2005, 11:45 AM
I'm actually moving out, I just wanted to know how much I got burned when I sold my AR-15 in 98 when I moved in. Man that was a nice gun, old as heck, grey instead of black, no deflector and light as a whip but it was so much tighter than any new Colt by a long shot.

Originally posted by -hanko:
I gotta' know, WHY would you not take your pistols to a free state??

-hanko

dwtt
07-30-2005, 2:41 PM
Originally posted by marklbucla:
I wrote to the DOJ and didn't get a response, but I was wondering if any of you would have any insight on the matter.

When the DOJ doesn't answer a letter I write to them asking for info on what they require of me as a gun owner, I usually send it registered mail with a return receipt. They will answer if you send your questions again with a return receipt.

Noonanda
08-02-2005, 8:59 AM
Originally posted by Technical Ted:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 50ae:
After. Let me break it down. Say I live in TX and own an evil AR-15 and move to Cali, can I register it.
No </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unless you are military under orders. I'm moving back to pendleton next year and found out I can bring my "evil" guns with me, I just have to pay some money and fill out some military exemption paperwork

Mike
08-02-2005, 10:30 AM
Ted,
Once you separate (at least as of two years ago), you had 90 days to remove them from the state, or turn them in.