Imbert & Smithers (San Carlos) $$$$ new guns
$$$ used guns

Krausewerk Collectibles (San Mateo) $$-$$$

City Arms (Pacifica)$$

Traders (San Leandro)
$$$$ regular prices
$$-$$$ sale prices

Sportsmen's Supply (Campbell) $$$

Think that's accurate or am I all wet? I'm not familiar with other shops such as Reed's, Irvington Arms, and others I can't think of right now, so how would you rate them?

Turbinator
02-16-2005, 1:52 PM
My perception on Reed's is that they are $$$ to $$$$.

So I guess we don't have any $ rated stores?? I'd love to find one!!

Turby

Ratters
02-16-2005, 5:55 PM
Reeds has some awesome sales like Traders, if not better, from time to time. So does Sportsmen's Supply.

I've only done transfers at BigMac's shop so not sure how his prices were, but I'm sure he'd make a good deal.

Canyon Sports is $$$$ but you can often bargain a pretty good deal with them, I've done well on my five purchases with them, though you really need to talk to Ron when you are serious.

Antioch Armory I've found to be $$-$$$ and the guy is good to deal with, though I haven't been out there in a year.

dwtt
02-16-2005, 7:03 PM
Originally posted by Turbinator:
My perception on Reed's is that they are $$$ to $$$$.

Turby

I agree with Reeds being $$$$

American Outdoor Sports in Livermore $$-$$$
Dom's in Livermore $$$$

Ford8N
02-16-2005, 7:28 PM
$ bargain of the century
$$ low to average prices
$$$ average to high prices
$$$$ overpriced

Define your scale. Like say, a russian SKS for example.

$=20.00
$$=100.00 to 300.00
$$$=350.00 to 450.00
$$$$=500.00+

Glock21Owner
02-17-2005, 4:48 PM
Even if Trader's had better pricing I still wouldn't patronize them. I've been there twice, and their sales staff were always rude.

schizrade
02-17-2005, 7:21 PM
Traders can be very rude. Not as bad as Reeds or sometimes Sportsmans Supply, but rude none-the-less.

I will be shopping almost exclusively at City Arms from now on. Just need $$$... http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

GeneralBacardi
02-18-2005, 2:56 PM
Russian SKS example doesn't work because it could be pristine, junk, or anywhere in between. Here's an better example though, prices for a NIB Springfield 1911 parkerized GI Mil-spec .45 fullsize:

$ 395 (not really deal of the centruy, but the best price I saw on Gunbroker.com)
$$ 449 (Targetmasters)
$$$ 479 (City Arms)
$$$$ 525 (Tabor's)

edizon
02-18-2005, 9:25 PM
It's all about City Arms www.city-arms.com (http://www.city-arms.com) folks! They opened their first store because they learned and are improving from the mistakes and shortcomings of their competitors.

I've known and bought from Dmitriy and Uncle Vlady when they were called Diger, Intl. They have really low prices and a nice selection of firearms and accessories. If they don't have what you want in stock, they'll be more-than-happy to order it if they can, and it should arrive the next business day or two if their distributor has it in stock!

And since this is their first store, they welcome our feedback to make our shopping experience as pleasant as possible. If you haven't visited them yet, tell them that you heard about them here, at the Calguns.net forum!

icormba
02-18-2005, 11:35 PM
I think it totally depends on what you are looking for.

I'll add some more...

Big 5 = $-$$
Kurly's = $$$-$$$$
Irvington Arms = $$-$$$
(BEST SERVICE AWARD!)

I'll add my rating on
Traders = $-$$
(I'll only go if they have a sale on something I'm looking for, like I've said before... they are the Fry's of gun stores ) http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Reeds = $$$$
(Reeds is the only store I have never bought from that I've named here)

Sportsmans = $$$-$$$$
(only because they won't use a "safe affidavid" & charge $20 for a $5 lock)

Target Masters = $$$$-$$$$$$$
(they used to be $$)

The guy on Pomeroy in Santa Clara? = $$$$$
(nice guy, but $500 for a Chinese SKS!!)

johnny_22
02-19-2005, 8:09 AM
The Gun Exchange =$$-$$$

pidooma
02-19-2005, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by icormba:

Sportsmans = $$$-$$$$
(only because they won't use a "safe affidavid" & charge $20 for a $5 lock)

I made a purchase there last week and I was asked whether or not I had a safe, and they filled out the safe affidavit form for me to sign.

C.G.
02-19-2005, 1:03 PM
I've dealt with Gun Exhange and agree on $$-$$$, depending on the merchandise.

vaporone_859k@hotmail.com
02-19-2005, 2:43 PM
Irvington Arms = $$-$$$
(BEST SERVICE AWARD!)

Co-sign. Got some real nice deals and staff is always great to work with.

capitol
02-19-2005, 4:28 PM
I've pretty much given up on the gun shops. I order EVERYTHING through the internet, use Guns America, or whatever and have it shipped to my FFL dealer. Big advantage is it cost WAY less $$$. Trick is you MUST find a FFL dealer thats not going to bend you over.
Reeds wants 1679 plus another 138 in sales tax AND DROS fees for a SA Socom. You can get the same rifle for 1450 out the door and that includes DROS and shipping when ordered through the net.

Turbinator
02-19-2005, 9:41 PM
Glad to see that I'm not the only one who thinks that Reeds is a bit high priced. Too bad - I'd like to buy more from them but I just can't afford to pay more!

Turby

Turbinator
02-20-2005, 9:27 AM
Maybe the July sale is good - but usually only the stuff on the sidewalk, in my opinion. I've gone in there during the sale looking at the M1A's and I still thought they were a bit overpriced.

Turby

capitol
02-20-2005, 5:03 PM
Actually, Reeds did have the SA Socom for $1400 during their last big sale in July.
July is a VERY good time to make firearm purchases in the bay area. Not only does Reeds drop the prices so do places like Sportsmen's Supply and Traders to fight back.

simonp
02-20-2005, 6:20 PM
Originally posted by General Bacardi:
Russian SKS example doesn't work because it could be pristine, junk, or anywhere in between. Here's an better example though, prices for a NIB Springfield 1911 parkerized GI Mil-spec .45 fullsize:

$ 395 (not really deal of the centruy, but the best price I saw on Gunbroker.com)
$$ 449 (Targetmasters)
$$$ 479 (City Arms)
$$$$ 525 (Tabor's)

Actually $395 is pretty ******* good as its basically at cost, I haven't seen or heard of them any lower - Imberts was selling them at 600 last year, they have dropped them to 500 currently http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I will have to check out the new store in Pacifica to see what he stocks and his prices, he never carried anything I was interested in back in the days when he was just doing gun shows unfortunately.

The problem with just doing your shopping on the internet is you still have to have someone receive it - locally the only place that will do that is Imberts, Tabors, Jackson wont receive from out of state and Imberts wont receive a new gun from another dealer period! Then you have the $70.00 they charge you on top of whatever you paid for the gun and shipping plus the 8.25 sales tax so deal of the century suddenly becomes average to no deal at all. Personally I won't buy a new gun until I leave the PRK, I refuse to give the thieves locally my money. I know in So Cal things are a little better pricewise most likely due to competition. Being mainly a 1911 guy I will buy a springer directly from Yost-Bonitz for $400 and have them work on it before shipping it rather than giving Imberts the extra money

capitol
02-20-2005, 9:25 PM
Simonp,
Send me a PM when you get a chance.

Yute
02-21-2005, 3:14 PM
I just used High Bridge Arms as a FFL - prices on their rifles seems to be quite reasonable. Yes, the FFL fee is kind of high ($80 for a transfer, or 10% if you're buying direct from the maker - call them though, they are not strict with their fee and can negotiate it) but I will continue to do business with them becuase they are a nice polite bunch of guys and that I cannot let another good gunstore fold - I don't mind paying the extra 40 bucks or whatever. I live in SF, so they are fairly convinent too...

American Canyon
02-21-2005, 8:42 PM
I just picked-up a new SA 1911 custom px9106L from City Arms in Pacifica. Great deal..and I mean I'm the kinda guy that does a lot of research based on price comparison, value, service...and MY budget of course. Other store in the Bay Area would have cost me about $200 more. I recommend them...

joel1316
09-20-2005, 9:59 AM
I think this topic needs a BUMP. I've finally come up with a little cash and would like to hit up a store this weekend.
I'm thinking of hitting up:
Antioch Armory (close to home)
Then to Irvington Arms and possibly Gun Exchange, but I might be going to the Cow Palace gun show and in that case I might head on over to City Arms if they aren't at the show.

joel1316
09-20-2005, 10:26 AM
A little bit of research finds that Irvington Arms wins out and I will definately be visiting them this weekend.

09-20-2005, 8:32 PM
Two questions. Anybody have experience buying stuff at Castello's (in the Willow Glen section of San Jose, on Lincoln)? The store is tiny, and had a back room with a collection of very nice looking (and expensive) long arms. They have a very good selection of accessories (only place I cound find RIG rust-inhibiting-grease locally).

Second: If I'm in the market for a used Remington 11-87, where should I go? It isn't just about prices, but also about selection of used guns. I've seen the most used stuff at Kerley's on Stevens Creek, and at Imbert&Smithers. Any other suggestions?

09-20-2005, 8:54 PM
After hearing some of the horror stories about the folks behind the counter at some of these bay area gun stores, I was a bit apprehensive going in. I did a fair bit of research before going in, knowing what I wanted and how it compared to other handguns.

I must give props to Brian and the other weekend associate who helped me at Antioch Armory. Between the two, the spent about 90 minutes over two days explaining, demonstrating and showing me different pistols and shotguns. They administered the HSC and all the paperwork went smoothly.

The added bonus, they were 10 minutes from home.

Ratters
09-20-2005, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Joel1316:
A little bit of research finds that Irvington Arms wins out and I will definately be visiting them this weekend.

Martin runs a great shop, in fact I was just there myself. Only thing is his selection is kind of limited so you might want to call first if you have something in mind. Most of what he has is C&R type stuff, though he can order you anything and he is a Kimber master dealer now and he has pretty good prices on his Kimbers.

Antioch Armory is a cool shop. I haven't been there in a while, I should take the time to check it out.

imported_DULLYJAY
09-21-2005, 6:34 AM
+1 on Irvington Arms & Martin. Real good guy.

wolfgunner
11-02-2005, 12:50 AM
[QUOTE=icormba]I think it totally depends on what you are looking for.

Irvington Arms = $$-$$$
(BEST SERVICE AWARD!)

True they are great people. Just don’t ask if he likes the Mayor and his rules about the police not responding to bugler alarms :eek:

tpliquid1
11-02-2005, 9:34 AM
[QUOTE=icormba]I think it totally depends on what you are looking for.

Irvington Arms = $$-$$$
(BEST SERVICE AWARD!)

True they are great people. Just don’t ask if he likes the Mayor and his rules about the police not responding to bugler alarms :eek:

i remmeber he told us that story when we went to look at some vulcan(t)s

bountyhunter
11-02-2005, 10:18 AM
On a scale of $ to $$$$:

$ bargain of the century
$$ low to average prices
$$$ average to high prices
$$$$ overpriced

here's how I rate them:

Tabor's (San Bruno) $$$$ guns
$$$ accessories

Targetmasters (Milpitas)$$$$

Jackson Arms (SSF)$$$$

Imbert & Smithers (San Carlos) $$$$ new guns
$$$ used guns

Krausewerk Collectibles (San Mateo) $$-$$$

City Arms (Pacifica)$$

Traders (San Leandro)
$$$$ regular prices
$$-$$$ sale prices

Sportsmen's Supply (Campbell) $$$

Think that's accurate or am I all wet? I'm not familiar with other shops such as Reed's, Irvington Arms, and others I can't think of right now, so how would you rate them?

Kerley's (cupertino): $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$

Sportsmen's supply has always had the lowest prices I could find, Targetmasters is just OK, Reed's is a little higher.

1911_sfca
11-02-2005, 12:38 PM
The problem with just doing your shopping on the internet is you still have to have someone receive it - locally the only place that will do that is Imberts, Tabors, Jackson wont receive from out of state and Imberts wont receive a new gun from another dealer period! Then you have the $70.00 they charge you on top of whatever you paid for the gun and shipping plus the 8.25 sales tax so deal of the century suddenly becomes average to no deal at all.

Another one is High Bridge Arms in San Francisco. I inquired there once about it and I believe they said it was $50 including DROS.. might be different now but I know they do em.

1911_sfca
11-02-2005, 12:43 PM
Irvington Arms = $$-$$$
(BEST SERVICE AWARD!)

I bought a gun there after recommendations on this board, and was very unimpressed. The owner was swearing almost nonstop, couldn't fill out the DROS correctly, then started to blame it on me and spent a long time on the phone with CADOJ to figure out how to correct it.

I would recommend not going there. There are plenty of other good shops in the Bay Area.

Ratters
11-02-2005, 4:04 PM
I bought a gun there after recommendations on this board, and was very unimpressed. The owner was swearing almost nonstop, couldn't fill out the DROS correctly, then started to blame it on me and spent a long time on the phone with CADOJ to figure out how to correct it.

I would recommend not going there. There are plenty of other good shops in the Bay Area.

That is very odd. I've done four or five transactions through the shop and it's been a very positive experience each time. Are you sure it was the owner Martin? Hmmm. Well, sorry bout your experience but they still get a very high recommendation from me.

TonyM
11-02-2005, 4:13 PM
That is very odd. I've done four or five transactions through the shop and it's been a very positive experience each time. Are you sure it was the owner Martin? Hmmm. Well, sorry bout your experience but they still get a very high recommendation from me.

+1 here.

Bought a pair of Vulcans from Martin and he did a PTP Transfer for me on my Benelli. I can only say that from everything I saw and heard while in the shop is that he's "good people". If you don't get along with people then you might not get along with him. :cool:

C.G.
11-02-2005, 4:32 PM
I only dealt with Martin and his partner once so far; he went out of his day just to do a DROS and everything went smoothly.:)

Clodbuster
11-02-2005, 8:24 PM
Gunshops have something called rent they have to pay...and in the Bay Area, it's quite expensive. Not supporting the local retailers is a great way to have them close up shop. Another gun store gone is something that'll make the local gov. jump with joy. Saving money is fine and dandy, but gun owners are a dying breed in CA. The majority of newbies will not buy weapons over the 'net, and without physically looking and touching and feeling one in their hands, wouldn't even owning one.
I was at Reed's this weekend, and with their "bad" customer service, and "overpriced" arms, they added 2 new shooters to CA. If you want to preserve gun ownership in CA, it's not how many cheap firearms you personally own, it's how many firearm owners there are that matters.

Just my 2 cents.
Clod

I've pretty much given up on the gun shops. I order EVERYTHING through the internet, use Guns America, or whatever and have it shipped to my FFL dealer. Big advantage is it cost WAY less $$$. Trick is you MUST find a FFL dealer thats not going to bend you over.
Reeds wants 1679 plus another 138 in sales tax AND DROS fees for a SA Socom. You can get the same rifle for 1450 out the door and that includes DROS and shipping when ordered through the net.

Turbinator
11-02-2005, 9:11 PM

Would you kindly verify who it was specifically that helped you when you did your transaction?

Turby

Turbinator
11-02-2005, 9:14 PM
Gunshops have something called rent they have to pay...and in the Bay Area, it's quite expensive. Not supporting the local retailers is a great way to have them close up shop.

Fair enough, but I've got to maximize my own limited resources. I will support those that I feel give me a fair deal for my dollar - I won't go out and overpay just to ensure that some other guy makes a good living. At the same time, I don't expect people to just give it all away, but again, we're talking about finding a balance here.

I think the complaint most people have are the shops that charge way too much for an item - and apparently there seem to be enough of those shops around.

Turby

BigMac
11-03-2005, 4:51 PM
That sounds like me... Once in a blue moon I cant get my stuff together and even I have bad days. Blowing the DROS usually get my undies in a buch. If I have to do it more than twice I am not happy or fun to be around. Funny though, I don't swear all that much. I actually make an effort to not swear for my daughter, who hates it.

Sorry to hear you didn't have a good experience here.

hkfooey
11-11-2005, 3:07 PM
I agree that we need to support our local business… but the feeling of money in my pocket is more attractive. ;)

On the other hand, I have been purchasing pistol from impactguns.com: a SA 1911 Service 9mm is almost impossible to find locally… if they have one in stock, asking price is almost $900… therefore I maile order mine for $750 + $80 DOC and not sale tax…

I guess I don’t mind paying the extra $$ to shop locally – but the local shop needs to do their part and treat us “nice” - as a customer.

Of course – IMHO. :rolleyes:

skyblue
11-14-2005, 12:39 PM
Used to patronize American Gun Exchange in Antioch. Rick and Fred were always very friendly and helpful and until they closed shop, their prices were the best around these parts. Stopped in one day and was dismayed to find that they had closed the business!

I didn't patronize Antioch Armory until Alan and his staff took ownership, as the previous owner wasn't as patient with this newbie's questions. Just wish AA had a better selection of used firearms and more C&R, as I find that new guns lack character and just don't do it for me.

I can highly recommend Contra Costa Collectibles in Walnut Creek as THE place to go for used military arms, as the selection is usually good and the prices fair.

artherd
11-14-2005, 7:14 PM
I owe the very fact that I have a Barrett to Montana Hawk in Cotati, CA.

I called the owner and told him I'm interested in one, he promised to get back to me on exact price, etc.

Well turns out about 4 days pass, and I call again. MH Clerk lost my phone number but the owner called Barrett and they said only 2 CA rifles left unsold. On the spot Doug said "I'll take it, bill me.". Eventually I called and he said "oh yeah, we ordered you one, glad you called :)"

Then he sold it to me for MSRP at a time when other vendors were gouging beyond that. I'd bought a total of 2 other guns from Doug at the time, he went way over and beyond for a new-ish customer IMO. Earned my business.