PDA

View Full Version : My first SKS - Pictures

1BigPea
09-05-2009, 4:35 PM
Never knew much about the SKS rifle personally but have friends who own them. I just picked this up last Wednesday from a friend who didn't want it anymore, only shot it once the whole time he owned it. I tossed the ammo out he gave me, stamped 1992, about 20 rounds worth. He gave me 5 stripper clips too. He's moving and getting rid of some possessions, at first I didn't know if it was legal when he called me and said he wanted me to have it. After researching here, it's perfectly legal (Stamped 1953) so I was more than happy to take it off his hands.

It needs to have the front sight adjusted big time so I ordered an adjustment tool online. I took it apart, all of the SN's are the same on each part that is stamped, not sure if that is common or not? It was dirty, probably never been cleaned since he purchased it. I fully stripped it, cleaned it up, oiled it, now I need some ammo! Seems relatively cheap compared to the other calibers I purchase and stock up on.

Any pointers for a new SKS owner? ;)

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm317/1BigPea/IMG_0799.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm317/1BigPea/IMG_0800.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm317/1BigPea/IMG_0803.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm317/1BigPea/IMG_0804.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm317/1BigPea/0903092311.jpg

mosinnagantm9130
09-05-2009, 4:48 PM
Very nice 53 Tula! The front sight may not need to be adjusted, I'd shoot it first. One of my M44's has the sight drifted way to the left, but it shoots straight.

1BigPea
09-05-2009, 5:04 PM
Very nice 53 Tula! The front sight may not need to be adjusted, I'd shoot it first. One of my M44's has the sight drifted way to the left, but it shoots straight.

Thanks! What is Tula?

Yeah, the drum that holds the sight is pushed all the way to the right. I have to get out and shoot this thing. Is loading with stripper clips pretty straight forward?

cbn620
09-05-2009, 5:09 PM
Tula is a factory in Russia. The star on your rifle designates it was built at Tula.

ledman
09-05-2009, 5:14 PM
Nice SKS! I have 6 SKS rifles personally, and they are addicting! 2 Yugos, 2 Russians, 1 Albainian and one CHinese SKS. lots of countries manfg these during the cold war.
O...TULA is the name of the Russian Arsenal that manufactured it, Tula Russia, and also they were made at Izhevsk Arsenal, but not as many as the Tula Aresenal
Great rifle! Durable, they always go bang when you pull the trigger!
Loading with the clips, yeah, just push down with your tumb, slowly feed them into the mag, you will feel resistance as the mag fills up, just keep pushing, you may have to assit the last few rounds into the top of the mag.

Heres some basic info for you
http://en.wikipedia.or/wiki/SKS

Jak1
09-05-2009, 5:21 PM
The only pointer I have is (at range of course) load 10 rounds, pull trigger until empty, repeat as necessary. Have fun, these rifles are a blast.

LAWABIDINGCITIZEN
09-05-2009, 5:26 PM
Any pointers for a new SKS owner? ;)

Get this book and learn almost everything there is to know about the SKS. You will gain a deep appreciation for the rifle in your hands.

Good shooting!

http://www.amazon.com/Carbine-Revised-Expanded-Biotechniques-Books/dp/1882391144/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252196568&sr=8-1

Anthonysmanifesto
09-05-2009, 5:27 PM
nice find! did you say you "tossed" ammo?

and it was made as recently as 1992?

thats 30 years younger than my ammo!

fed20
09-05-2009, 5:45 PM
Nice, your going to love it.

Lucky Scott
09-05-2009, 6:46 PM
Great gun!
I got one Yugo SKS and you really got lucky with a Tula model.
Most desirable of all the SKS rifles.
Buy ammo at ammo bros in cerritos or Ontario. I just went to the ammo bros in Ontario yesterday and they had ammo for the SKS on sale.

I am not an expert by any means, and still learning alot, but dont do anything to the gun to change it until you shoot it and learn more about it. You got a real gem, now dont screw it up.

AJAX22
09-05-2009, 6:53 PM
Do not, under any circumstances bubba that rifle....

seriously, excellent find! that stock is gorgeous.

Lurch762
09-05-2009, 8:38 PM
Good looking rifle. If that ammo you threw out is still in the trash, go dig it out. No reason to throw it away just because it's dated 1992. Before you take it out shooting, make sure the firing pin is nice and loose in the bolt. Take the bolt and shake it back and forth, you should be able to hear the firing pin slide back and forth. If the inside of the bolt gets gummed up or is extremely dirty, the firing pin can get stuck in the forward position and you end up getting slam fires and it will go full auto until the mag is empty.

7.62x54R
09-05-2009, 9:09 PM
wow free SKS one can dream:toetap05:

1BigPea
09-06-2009, 12:31 AM
nice find! did you say you "tossed" ammo?

and it was made as recently as 1992?

thats 30 years younger than my ammo!

Hehe...yeah. I've been stocking ammo for about 5 years now, 92 looked really old! ;)

wow free SKS one can dream

I am a happy camper right now! :D

Good looking rifle. If that ammo you threw out is still in the trash, go dig it out. No reason to throw it away just because it's dated 1992. Before you take it out shooting, make sure the firing pin is nice and loose in the bolt. Take the bolt and shake it back and forth, you should be able to hear the firing pin slide back and forth. If the inside of the bolt gets gummed up or is extremely dirty, the firing pin can get stuck in the forward position and you end up getting slam fires and it will go full auto until the mag is empty.

Regarding the firing pin, that's one of the things I checked when I took her apart, the firing pin was nice and loose. It rattled back and forth easily with no resistance. I read about the slam fires here on CG.

Get this book and learn almost everything there is to know about the SKS. You will gain a deep appreciation for the rifle in your hands.

Good shooting!

http://www.amazon.com/Carbine-Revise...2196568&sr=8-1

Thanks for the link, I really relish in learning everything I can about the firearms I own. Without the youtube videos I watched I would have never been able to strip her down completely. I'll definitely get the book. ;)

http://www.murraysguns.com/sksown.htm
The only advice I have is guard yourself against "slam Fire". This is when the firing pin is stuck in the forward position, when you shoot the first round it goes into full auto until your 10 rounds are gone. I always tell people, the first time you fire a sks, hold on tight and keep the barrel down-range. I have 4 sks carbines, all have the firing pin with spring set-up, just in case.
Other than buying the pin and spring, make sure you take the bolt apart and clean the firing pin and location where the pin goes.
http://surplusrifle.com/sks/index.asp

Great links, thanks. I was wondering how to disassemble the bolt.

Thanks guys, I'm glad to have this new SKS in the collection. What's your take on the front sight...looks pretty crooked to me.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm317/1BigPea/IMG_0809.jpg

zatoh
09-06-2009, 12:39 AM
Congrats! Nice rifle!

Like others have said, shoot it first. I have a MN 91/30 that's the same way. I guess they were really in a hurry when they made it.

Napalm Bulldog
09-06-2009, 12:39 AM
Welcome to the family

jonni
09-06-2009, 11:40 AM
why did you throw out the ammo?

hell ive been shooting yugo milsurp out of my 1951 tula and its stamped 1970. No reason to throw out perfectly fine ammo

check your firing pin and make sure it freely floats. Other than that, have fun

Rob454
09-06-2009, 1:17 PM
IF you decide to bubba the rifle make sure its just a bubba stock and you keep the original stock. I bubba'ed my SKS with a drag stock but went back to the wood stock. other than that I think SKS's look great with the wood stocks. Some look good with aftermarket stocks too but somethign like that i woudlnt bubba. get a cheapie to do that with
getting a russian for free wow thats one good friend.

wingnut948
09-06-2009, 11:21 PM
My only caution is that this might become your favorite rifle! I really like my M1 Carbines, and they may look better from an aesthetic perspective, but the SKS is my favorite rifle to shoot. Have fun with it! There is a lot of good info on the SKS (surplusrifle.com) , and ammo is plentiful (so far), so you will not be disappointed (happy owner of '50 Tula)

knucklehead0202
09-07-2009, 1:23 PM
SKS's are extremely satisfying to own, and shoot. when you cleaned and oiled it, i hope you didn't oil the gas piston. everything else is ok but oiling the piston can be dangerous. that aside, ammo is out there but not as cheap as it used to be. russians are the best way to go, i've bought 2 for the price most people pay for one. the 52 is my baby, the 54 i in turn sold to my dad for what i paid(i can't fire 2 of them, or can i?). it worked out well because he needed an SKS, and i had a spare, and he hooked me up with a bunch of ammo for my other c&r rifles. i'm all about fair give and take. seriously though, shoot it, enjoy it, and laugh inside when you realize that these things are almost as accurate and way more reliable than an AR, nevermind they make a more impressive boom and are much much cheaper.

1BigPea
09-07-2009, 7:34 PM
IF you decide to bubba the rifle make sure its just a bubba stock and you keep the original stock. I bubba'ed my SKS with a drag stock but went back to the wood stock. other than that I think SKS's look great with the wood stocks. Some look good with aftermarket stocks too but somethign like that i woudlnt bubba. get a cheapie to do that with
getting a russian for free wow thats one good friend.

I really like the rifle stock the way it is, I'm going to keep this rifle original.

Yeah, he's a friend that I don't see often enough but he knows my hobby is firearms. I thanked him many times since for giving me a great rifle.

1BigPea
09-07-2009, 7:37 PM
SKS's are extremely satisfying to own, and shoot. when you cleaned and oiled it, i hope you didn't oil the gas piston. everything else is ok but oiling the piston can be dangerous. that aside, ammo is out there but not as cheap as it used to be. russians are the best way to go, i've bought 2 for the price most people pay for one. the 52 is my baby, the 54 i in turn sold to my dad for what i paid(i can't fire 2 of them, or can i?). it worked out well because he needed an SKS, and i had a spare, and he hooked me up with a bunch of ammo for my other c&r rifles. i'm all about fair give and take. seriously though, shoot it, enjoy it, and laugh inside when you realize that these things are almost as accurate and way more reliable than an AR, nevermind they make a more impressive boom and are much much cheaper.

Thanks for the info, I ran a very thin film of Breakfree LP on it. I can take it apart and clean that off. What is dangerous about oil on the gas piston?

XSiL3nTX
09-21-2009, 1:25 PM
Thanks for the info, I ran a very thin film of Breakfree LP on it. I can take it apart and clean that off. What is dangerous about oil on the gas piston?

I'm also interested in the answer to this question.

knucklehead0202
09-22-2009, 10:53 PM
oil can gum things up, or, even worse, can ignite and blow the whole thing to smithereens, which you generally want to avoid. just cleaning it up with solvent is all it needs. i know it seems unnatural, i always want to oil things, but that is one you don't really want to screw with. most of that ammo is dirty and will turn the oil into sludge, which will affect how well it functions, and if it ignites instead, well, i'm sure you have a pretty good imagination.