PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a Long Gun Back To Seller question

leadchucker
09-05-2009, 1:33 PM
I need to know how to do this correctly.
I recently acquired a 1919 Winchester Model 1894 through an internet transaction. My FFL and I started the DROS right after I won the auction, and the ten days was completed when I finally got possession of the rifle (sat at the FFLs P.O.Box for a week:rolleyes:). I gave the rifle a quick look over at the gun shop while we were finalizing the paperwork.

Once I got it home, I cleaned it and gave it a better look. The "bright bore with no pitting" turned out to be quite pitted, to say the least. I communicated with the seller, and he sent me a replacement barrel which he felt would be better than the one on the gun. However, the replacement barrel is just as bad as the original one. The seller has excellent feedback, so I think I will risk taking up his offer for a refund. How do I do this legally now that the paperwork has already been done on my end?

The seller is in Texas. I know I can ship a long gun via U.S.Mail, but need to know if I can ship it directly to him, or if I need to ship to a FFL or C&R at his end. If I have to ship it to an FFL or C&R, how do I verify that the shipping address is good? What would satisfy the Law with the least work on either end?

(Also, feel free to comment on any problems you've had with returning arms to another state, only to never see the refund or gun again. What did you do about it? I'm a little concerned about this.)

EOD Guy
09-05-2009, 4:18 PM
It has to be shipped to a licensee. If the seller has an 03 FFL, you can ship to him. Otherwise, you have to ship to a dealer.

lbdrummer3
09-06-2009, 9:18 AM
Wouldn't this be a C&R since it's well past the 50 year mark?

SJgunguy24
09-06-2009, 9:46 AM
If intra state your OK, inter state no go, there has to be an FFL on the receiving end.
That is part of the GCA. I just checked on the BATFE website. Look under the online learning center, part 4 questions and answers.
If the person your shipping to has an 03FFL your GTG. If not then it can't be shipped directly.

Yankee Clipper
09-06-2009, 10:24 AM
RE: I know I can ship a long gun via U.S.Mail.
Before you head to your local P.O. be aware they may tell you that unless you have an FFL you can't use them as a shipper. Other forum members have had better luck than I using the USPS when shipping rifles.
As far as not getting your refund, you might get help from your credit card company, if that's how you made your payment.

leadchucker
09-06-2009, 5:52 PM
Yes, this is a C&R long gun. The person I need to send it to says he has his C&R license.

So, can I or can I not ship to a C&R licensee?
If I can, how would I go about verifying his license status?

Mssr. Eleganté
09-06-2009, 6:00 PM
Yes, this is a C&R long gun. The person I need to send it to says he has his C&R license.

Yes, you can ship it to him if he has a C&R license. You can verify that his FFL is real by calling the BATFE EZ Check phone number...1-877-560-2435...and giving them the license number and the address on the license. You have to call because the online EZ Check system does not work for C&R FFL's.

SJgunguy24
09-06-2009, 8:38 PM

Do you have access to a fax machine? If I were you I would request he send a copy of his 03 and drivers license/I.D. card. Just to C.Y.A. He should've requested the same from you.

leadchucker
09-06-2009, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the help. No FAX here, so I'll have him mail me a copy and check the info. I'm not really worried about him since I bought the gun from him just a couple weeks ago. As far as I'm concerned, things will just be back to where they were before he shipped it to me. I'm basically just trying to make sure I keep my nose clean.
Thanks especially for the phone number. It seems I will need to use it.