PDA

View Full Version : First Time Jury Duty

Josh3239
09-05-2009, 11:41 AM
Got called to jury duty for the first time today. It is kind of funny since I have been a registered voter for four years and haven't got the call, while my brother was a registered voter for only two years and he got called before me. I guess I was long overdue. The thing that surprised my folks when they gave me the letter was it is jury duty for the US District Court in Los Angeles. At first they were saying how wrong it was that I had to drive all the way out LA, then they saw is was the District Court.

I gotta wake my lazy *** up at 6:30 that day, it had better be the Calguns Foundation kicking butt :D

JustGone
09-05-2009, 11:04 PM
Got called to jury duty for the first time today. It is kind of funny since I have been a registered voter for four years and haven't got the call, while my brother was a registered voter for only two years and he got called before me. I guess I was long overdue. The thing that surprised my folks when they gave me the letter was it is jury duty for the US District Court in Los Angeles. At first they were saying how wrong it was that I had to drive all the way out LA, then they saw is was the District Court.

I gotta wake my lazy *** up at 6:30 that day, it had better be the Calguns Foundation kicking butt :D

Ouch I got jury duty 2 months after turning 18 haha It takes FOREVER! I went in early in the morning and didn't get out till 4 in the afternoon, AND I wasn't even selected to be on the jury. lol

jdberger
09-05-2009, 11:28 PM
Bring a book.

A big one.

Can I recommend "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" (Heinlein)?

nicki
09-06-2009, 12:55 PM
Jury duty is a pain, but it is part of our duty of being an American citizen.

The original purpose of the Jury system was that if someone was charged by the government with an offense, that person had a right to a trial by a jury of their peers.
e
The jury would weigh not only the facts, but the fairness of the application of the law itself. Today juries are not told of their power to weigh the fairness of the law.

In England it was a crime not to be a member of the Anglican church. William Penn was charged for violating this law, but the jury refused to convict him so he was found not guilty because the jury refused to convict.

William Penn left England with his band of Quakers and they established what is now modern day PENNsylvania.

In other countries you are charged with crimes and you are guilty until proven innocent. As bad as prosecutor misconduct is here in the US, it is far worse in other countries.

Our willingness to serve jury duty is critical to maintaining a free country.
Yes it is a pain, but what is the alternative?

Nicki

forgiven
09-07-2009, 5:56 AM
I:tt1:jury duty.

SDgunner
09-12-2009, 12:13 AM
I got selected for jury duty almost 2 years ago, i threw away the notice and never heard anything else.

**** that noise I got a real job to do, plus I wouldnt make a good juror (right word?) anyways I have strong opinions not everyone agrees with and im quite biased.

Desert_Rat
09-12-2009, 12:16 PM
I've had jury duty several times.When asked what I thought about the idea of the jury being comprised of the peers of the defendant.I replied that myself and the defendant were not in the same peer group.Then the prosecutor asked what I meant about that,so I told Her that The defendant was an unemployed theif and I was an employed non-theif.She laughed and dismissed me.these comments have served me well every time.

den888
09-12-2009, 4:06 PM
I've served 6-7 times in my life. Seem to get called every 2-3 years.

rulas41
09-12-2009, 5:39 PM
dam i been registerd to vote since i was 18 now ill be 26 next week have yet to be called when is my turn

F-2_Challenger
09-13-2009, 10:52 AM
I was totally against jury duty and tried to avoid it at all cost. Needless to say I beg all of you to attend and rig the jury pool with common sense and knowledge.

After I had a jury trial and was found not guilty, which I was, and wrongly charged, I will never throw another one of those slips away again.

Please do your duty and keep innocent people out of the system.

trykp
10-16-2009, 10:59 AM
I got a notice once early starting college. Turned out I didn't have to go, and i was actually excited i thought it'd be an interesting experience.

maybe next time if i get called to actually go, hope its a good case :)

vlsgmc
10-16-2009, 11:07 AM
Jury duty is based on your driver's license. I got called to jury duty years ago and I didn't register to vote in California until two months ago. I was non resident military until I retired, then registered to vote here.

lorax3
10-16-2009, 12:18 PM
I got selected for jury duty almost 2 years ago, i threw away the notice and never heard anything else.

28 USC 1866(g)

(g) Any person summoned for jury service who fails to appear as directed shall be ordered by the district court to appear forthwith and show cause for his failure to comply with the summons. Any person who fails to show good cause for noncompliance with a summons may be fined not more than $100 or imprisoned not more than three days, or both.

Showing up for a day sounds a lot more appealing then a $100 fine and three days in jail.

Did you ask your employer about jury duty leave?
Your employer cannot punish you for having to sit as a juror.

SteveMartin
10-16-2009, 12:31 PM
Jury duty is based on your driver's license. I got called to jury duty years ago and I didn't register to vote in California until two months ago. I was non resident military until I retired, then registered to vote here.

At least in OC jury selection is chosen from both DL records and voter registration.

I just finished serving a 6+ week jury sentence. :)

mark2203
10-16-2009, 1:45 PM
Haha..Funny this post came up. I have to call in today after 4:30 to see if I need to report. Thanks for the reminder.

galabomber
10-17-2009, 4:51 PM
Haha..Funny this post came up. I have to call in today after 4:30 to see if I need to report. Thanks for the reminder.

Same here! Except my jury duty is scheduled for next week...

I kinda want to be selected. It might be an interesting experience.

jarhead995
10-18-2009, 5:46 PM
tell them your racist?

Sheepdog1968
10-18-2009, 5:52 PM
Jury duty is one of the few opportunities we have as citizens to participate. Yes, bring a book as thinks move slow. However, it is our civic obligation to participate.

ojisan
10-18-2009, 6:01 PM
L.A Court is often criminal cases.
Maybe you can help send a cockroach to jail.
Or set free a Cal Gunner!

goober
10-18-2009, 6:10 PM
no respect at all for folks that ignore or weasel out of jury duty.
yes, it takes some time. but it is an important civic duty.

TimRB
10-19-2009, 9:22 AM
"Showing up for a day sounds a lot more appealing then a $100 fine and three days in jail."

Absolutely. Some people don't realize that a jury summons is a court order to appear. You can't just ignore it.

Once I was called for jury duty, and during the role call many were absent. At the end, the lady calling roll said something like "In case you're wondering about all the people who didn't show up, they're going to get the opportunity to come in and explain to the judge why they thought they had something better to do today."

Tim

alpha_romeo_XV
10-20-2009, 10:07 AM
I don’t think anyone ever goes to Trial for happy reasons, someone is either going to lose their freedom or lose their money. Some cases don’t have jury trials, like family law, juvenile cases and competency cases (Britney Spears) so you won’t get exposed to that.

If you are self employed or your employer doesn’t pay you for Jury Duty days off then you can usually get excused for financial hardship. Otherwise I think it can be a good learning experience and never understood why so many people loath jury duty. With all the Judge Judy type shows and Crime scene shows that do well in ratings it seems like being in the real thing should be appealing? It is not easy to get 12 people to agree. However in Civil case you only need 9/12 majority. I was “nominated” to be foreman the last time. I didn’t realize that of the “twelve” only my name/signature went on the conviction form.

I also think everyone who applies for a marriage license should be required to sit in the spectator section of a divorce/custody court for a couple of hours - so they’d really understand how big the consequences can be and how the “system” works when it goes south. Kind of like when they haul the wreckage of DUI onto the High School for the new drivers to see the consequence of a bad choice.

There could be a silver lining to jury duty. I met a good looking, smart, well organized woman in my jury one time (too bad I was unhappily married to a lazy nut job at the time). You can get to know how someone thinks and acts better in a couple of days of jury deliberation than a couple months of starry eyed dating.

Fire in the Hole
10-20-2009, 6:32 PM
Does anybody know or have experience with this scenario? Retired couple traveling around the USA in an RV. Check their mail about once every 5 months back in their home state? What do the courts do to people that have decided to go on a 3 month trip to Europe, and their jury summons arrived in the mail the day after they leave?

Josh3239
10-20-2009, 6:37 PM
Wow, just came back from the first day. Got in at around 8:30, got off to a late start at around 9:00. The US Attorney gave us the intro, then brought in a Secret Service agent to discuss the suspects he was investigating then we had to decide whether they should or shouldn't go to trial. It was pretty quick, the criminals were idiots.

Long drive to downtown LA and back. I am beat. I am on the grand jury every Tuesday for the next 4-6 months.

GrinderCB
10-20-2009, 10:24 PM
I've been called four times in my life, all four were very different experiences.

First time out they did a roll call, had us watch a movie made in in the 1960's starring Fess (Daniel Boone/Davy Crockett) Parker about how to be a good juror, then gradually started sending jury groups to courtrooms as they were needed. My group was never called and I pretty much spent two days reading and playing cards with the other jurors.

Second time out my group was called soon after roll call and we went through the voir dire process for a civil case which lasted all the first day and most of the second. They finally empaneled twelve jurors, two alternates and I was one of the last two sent home after that. Interesting case, too. An ultrasound technician was being sued because she failed to detect the unborn baby's spina bifida, thus depriving the parents of the ability to opt for abortion in lieu of paying a lot of money in medical care over the kid's lifetime. Lots of jury questions about how we all felt about abortion, etc.

The other two jury duties I did were easy. On one I was dismissed about an hour after roll call. My employer at the time paid up to two days off for jury duty, so I got a short vacation. The last time, just a year or so ago, was the phone-in type where I had to phone in my juror group code every morning for three days until they said I was done. Went to work and notified my boss that I was on call and might have to leave, but never was and that was that.

If you have to go in in person, bring some reading material, a deck of cards, load up a game on your cellphone, etc, something to pass the time.

anto
10-21-2009, 7:26 AM
tell them your racist?

It's been tried. Buddy of mine tried putting "I'm racist", they denied and sent him another letter. He sent it back saying "I'm REALLY racist", denied x2. Lol

Electricboy
10-23-2009, 12:31 AM
That reminds me that i need to put myself on the list in coming weeks to get it over with. So i wont be called in when i get back to work.

Mssr. Eleganté
10-23-2009, 12:49 AM

**** that noise I got a real job to do, plus I wouldnt make a good juror (right word?) anyways I have strong opinions not everyone agrees with and im quite biased.

Was your "real" job in Canada? Or did you have to attend Oxford University, like Bill Clinton did during the Viet Nam war? Pray that you never go to trial and face a jury of people without "real" jobs and who don't have strong opinions.

Brooklyn
10-24-2009, 2:52 PM
Have gone in for jury duty 3 times. First two I was never selected. The third one I was part of the first selection of candidates.. and the only guy on the panel. It was a case about a guy arrested for "possession of crack cocaine with intent to distribute."

When they asked for questions I raised my hand and asked if the prosecution couldnt prove intent to distribute, did the charge get kicked down to possession or was that it? They said it would be kicked down to only misdemeanor possession if intent to distribute wasnt proved.

Within 3 minutes of the defense/prosecution's ability to filter out jurors they didnt want, I was removed from the panel. If you express any interest in a fair trial you will be removed. Just like that. I am going to keep my mouth shut next time.

Josh3239
10-28-2009, 1:12 PM
Wow, yesterday was absolute torture. We had to vote on 8 or 9 cases on whether to indict or not. Most of them were charges related to cocaine and guns. One US attorney brought in pictures of a MAK 90 (or as the suspect called it, "a chopper") that was recovered by the suspect. Interestingly enough the suspect claimed that he "gets lots of s**t from his cousin in Mexico" including hand grenades. Part of me didn't really believe it because he also claimed the MAK 90 that he sold the informant was a "army weapon" and a machine gun and it wasn't. So much for us importing them there huh.

scr83jp
10-28-2009, 9:26 PM
"Showing up for a day sounds a lot more appealing then a $100 fine and three days in jail."

Absolutely. Some people don't realize that a jury summons is a court order to appear. You can't just ignore it.

Once I was called for jury duty, and during the role call many were absent. At the end, the lady calling roll said something like "In case you're wondering about all the people who didn't show up, they're going to get the opportunity to come in and explain to the judge why they thought they had something better to do today."

Tim Born in NYS never served on a jury after college I was employed as a probation officer and exempt We moved to CA for a probation officer position summoned a few times but with all of my experience & education working all kinds of crimes I was only chosen once as an alternate and dismissed by the defense atty on a dui case after he asked if I had ever worked a dui,if I knew what blood gasses were(I had emt training) if I had any friends in LE ,I was investigating 2 dui's at that time and was dismissed from the alternate position.

HiveDR.
10-28-2009, 11:03 PM
I'm a retired LEO and I get called to jury duty every year since I retired. Come on like their going to put a 20 year LEO veteran on a jury. But it doesn't matter what I think, the LEO exemption goes away after you retire. I still have to sit there and waist a day or two.

I have a fellow retired buddy that uses the following to get out of jury duty. His reasoning is "I've done my bit for King and Country, I want no more of it".

He recommends, if you want a good chance to get out of jury duty fast DO NOT RAISE YOUR HAND AND TAKE THE OATH. You will be asked why you did not raise your hand and take the oath. It's simple, just explain you do not believe in taking oaths and being held responsible for whats in the oath. It's not a crime to not take the oath.

Remember this country has a constitution which guarantees you the freedom to have your own beliefs. Just be RESPECTFUL when answering the judges question. YES your honor and No your honor.

He has B**LS. I just sit there and wait until they ask what I do for a living. Once they find out about my background I'm outa there. But I've waisted the whole day.

KaTooM
10-28-2009, 11:29 PM
I am 46 and have only been called five times, served on three juries...first two were boring DUI cases. The last one was a child endangerment resisting arrest type case that was interesting. We the jury found the defendant guilty on one of three charges.

gunsnrovers
10-29-2009, 7:56 AM
Been called many times. Did a long 3 strikes trial which pretty much soured me to the entire system. Three strikes and zero tolerance is a piss poor excuse for control.

My back injury a few years ago has given me a medical excuse now so it's easier. I can't sit for extended periods.

bigger hammer
10-29-2009, 8:43 AM
There is no statewide exemption for serving LEO's. Some counties, Los Angeles is one, do not exempt them, even though the form has a check box for the question (to the effect) "Are you a police officer?" Some counties do exempt LEO's even though they can still sit on civil court juries.

In CA the voter rolls for state trials are drawn from the ranks of those who hold driver's licenses. The rolls for federal trials are drawn from the ranks of those who are registered to vote.

SteveMartin
10-29-2009, 12:21 PM
There is no statewide exemption for serving LEO's. Some counties, Los Angeles is one, do not exempt them, even though the form has a check box for the question (to the effect) "Are you a police officer?" Some counties do exempt LEO's even though they can still sit on civil court juries.

In CA the voter rolls for state trials are drawn from the ranks of those who hold driver's licenses. The rolls for federal trials are drawn from the ranks of those who are registered to vote.

In OC they use both DL and voter registrations to pull jurors.

Lyte-
10-29-2009, 12:52 PM
I got called for Jury duty for my county in Texas and I asked them to send me a plane ticket since I was in California (you know where they sent my jury duty notice to) they apologized for the mistake and said I was excused.

I was picked to sit on a trial in Fullerton for a Father who choose to rate his own sons since one was 10- 18 and the other from the age of 8 I believe. It was a very disturbing experience.

Lyte-
10-29-2009, 12:53 PM
In OC they use both DL and voter registrations to pull jurors.

this can not be the only methods they use as I am registered to vote in San Diego County, my address on my DL also reflects my home address in San Diego yet I was picked to serve in Fullerton.

Fire in the Hole
10-29-2009, 7:17 PM
Does anybody know or have experience with this scenario? Retired couple traveling around the USA in an RV. Check their mail about once every 5 months back in their home state? What do the courts do to people that have decided to go on a 3 month trip to Europe, and their jury summons arrived in the mail the day after they leave?

So I'm guessing that nobody knows the answer to this, or have older friends, parents, etc. that this would apply to?

ALSystems
12-16-2009, 2:22 AM
It's been tried. Buddy of mine tried putting "I'm racist", they denied and sent him another letter. He sent it back saying "I'm REALLY racist", denied x2. Lol
Maybe he should show up and ask the lawyers if he can wear his KKK hood during the trial. That should confirm the racist part and probably get him kicked out. :ack2: :devil2: :ack2:
Just kidding.

Cokebottle
12-16-2009, 3:08 AM
Bring a book.

A big one.

Can I recommend "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" (Heinlein)?
Bring an Ayoob book... you won't get selected for a jury ;)

I've actually had to appear once in Santa Ana. I worked at Douglas at the time and they paid for any time needed. Every Wednesday I had to be there and sit in the room for 4 weeks. I got selected to go in once, was excused because I knew the doctor/defendant.

Every other time, I've called in the night before and was excused except for one time. That time I called the night before, they said to call back at 8 for a possible 10am appearance.
Called at 8 and they said to call back at 10 for a possible 1pm appearance.
Called back at 10 and I was excused.

I've got another "date" on the 21st... hopefully I'll be excused when I call the evening of the 20th.

tacticalcity
12-16-2009, 11:56 AM
If your job will not pay you during it and it will become a hardship they will let you out. Your employer will probably have the letter on file. Just see the human resources people.

Never done Jury Duty for that reason. Would actually like to. It's the not getting paid enough to pay the bills during it part that gets in the way. Especially if you get a really long, drawn out murder trial.

That's probably the thing that would scare me most if I ever were to be put on trial...just exactly who are they gonna get to be on the jury? Not anyone who has anything in common with me. Not gonna be easy getting them to see whatever horrible thing happened from my perspective. And lets face it, you don't have to be a criminal or a scumbag to end up on trial...simply using a gun to defend yourself could land you there...especially in a state like California.

Josh3239
12-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Yesterday was annoying. The truckers were protesting City Hall by surrounding it in their rigs and leaning on the horns. The courthouse is right across the street.

Mayhem
01-02-2010, 3:19 PM

Nothing, Until you call the number and fallow the directions on the summons, you have not been served. Therefore there is no Proof that you in-fact received the summons.

Sionadi
01-04-2010, 3:07 PM
My dad usually gets out of it by bringing all his guns and ammo, shotgun news, American rifleman, blah blah blah magazines to read.

scr83jp
01-04-2010, 4:06 PM
I'm a retired LEO and I get called to jury duty every year since I retired. Come on like their going to put a 20 year LEO veteran on a jury. But it doesn't matter what I think, the LEO exemption goes away after you retire. I still have to sit there and waist a day or two.

I have a fellow retired buddy that uses the following to get out of jury duty. His reasoning is "I've done my bit for King and Country, I want no more of it".

He recommends, if you want a good chance to get out of jury duty fast DO NOT RAISE YOUR HAND AND TAKE THE OATH. You will be asked why you did not raise your hand and take the oath. It's simple, just explain you do not believe in taking oaths and being held responsible for whats in the oath. It's not a crime to not take the oath.

Remember this country has a constitution which guarantees you the freedom to have your own beliefs. Just be RESPECTFUL when answering the judges question. YES your honor and No your honor.

He has B**LS. I just sit there and wait until they ask what I do for a living. Once they find out about my background I'm outa there. But I've waisted the whole day. Some of my friends used this: If I had PC to arrest him he's guilty otherwise it would be false arrest.

RawImpact
01-05-2010, 5:19 PM
A laptop is a must. Spent 3 hours staring at a white wall, 2 hours watching night at the museum, and the other hour at lunch.

No case required a jury :-(, was actually looking forward to it too.

RogueSniper
01-08-2010, 12:02 AM
I always get a Summons for Jury Duty when:
1. I'm starting a new job.
2. I'm starting a new quarter at school.
3. I'm sick.
4. I'm out of town.
It's like the court system knows exactly when I'm NOT available!

I'd be happy to be a juror - it's my civic duty. Of course, they always ask me a question regarding my relationship with law enforcement. I end up tell them that I've got friends in CA DOJ, SWAT, Narcotics, Public Defenders, CHP, and I'm friends with the Police Captain - plus, we all go shooting together! I tend be biased because of that.

"Thank you for your time, you're excused Juror #3."

Cokebottle
01-08-2010, 12:19 AM
I always get a Summons for Jury Duty when:
1. I'm starting a new job.
2. I'm starting a new quarter at school.
3. I'm sick.
4. I'm out of town.
It's like the court system knows exactly when I'm NOT available!

I hear that. I got a notice for Dec 21. I was right in the middle of the typical 2-5 step interview process for 4 different city jobs.

I couldn't rightly tell the court that I wasn't available, but I could have gotten a phone call on the 18th at 5pm asking me to report for an oral interview/physical/drug test/etc...

Ended up being a non-issue... I called the pre-recorded number Sunday night and was excused... the same thing has happened twice a year for the last 5 years.
By excusing the night before, the court retains the right to call me back at any time... the "once a year" limit only applies if I have to physically report.

gunn
01-08-2010, 9:38 AM
The last time I was called up for jury duty, I called in and spoke to someone about the jury summons process because it seemed like the interval between the latest summons and my current was was quite short. As it turns out, the latest summons was 13 months (just outside the 12month window where you are automatically excused). The woman I spoke to say they try to target calling everyone about once every year and a half to two years ON AVERAGE, but quite a few people in SF don't bother registering to vote so they are never called up (young people, transients, miscreants, etc).

This was my first time to get selected for an actual jury. The process was pretty painless, the judge was a no-nonsense kinda guy, but I was surprised at how many procedures must be followed for what seemed to me like an open and shut case (dirtbag blew through a red light in front of a cop in fishermans wharf after catching mr cop's attention by speeding. As it turns out, he was driving in a suspended license). I can understand why he was tying up the resources (hail mary and hope for a hung jury) and I hope that if I'm ever on the other side of the law they dot all their Is and cross all their Ts as well but the case still took a little over a day w/ the witnesses and all that other stuff.

There seemed to me quite a bit of inefficiency in the judicial system but I guess the alternatives may be worse.

If you have the time, it's worth experiencing the judicial system once when it's not your *** on the line.
-g

packnrat
01-08-2010, 11:07 PM
50 now and only made a in court wait one time, never made it into to even be selected. always got out by my number group not getting called in.

any proper defence attorney would say "not this one".

i would have no problem hearing what is said. then convict him and recomed death.:D

glenndf
09-06-2010, 2:27 PM
If I go to school out of state (as in, Ohio), am I exempt from Jury Duty? If so, what kind of proof is required? Transcript/Degree Audit? Note from the Registrar's office? Bursar's Bill?

Only reason I ask is because I received a summons this summer, postponed it, then had a "failure to appear" but my number wasn't called. I called the county office (San Mateo), explained my situation, and the woman on the phone granted me a "courtesy exemption." Not sure if this ever happened, again it was over the phone. The county screwed up a speeding ticket I had and almost got me a failure to appear on that one :eek: and I don't want to come home over break and find out there's an arrest warrant waiting for me:surrender::eek: FYI there is no way to find out my status on the court system's website. Please help:confused: Thanks!

zfields
09-06-2010, 3:07 PM

Ive been called in 3 times, never registered to vote, and im 26.

Luckily being a one time employee for a police dept got me out of it every time.

Cokebottle
09-06-2010, 6:34 PM
Being physically out of state is certainly a valid reason for an extension, but you can't let this stuff sit... it won't take care of itself.
I don't believe your situation would be grounds for a full exemption, unless you don't move back home during break. If that's the case, then you are no longer a California resident and would be permanently excused until you move back to CA.

If you are maintaining dual residency, then you would be subject to jury service during the months that you are a resident of California, and you would be able to have your service rescheduled for that time, or most likely, they would simply grant you an excusal from service and indicate that you MAY be called back later.

You can only be forced to serve once per year IF you actually appear in the building. If you are excused via phone-in or for whatever reason prior to your appearance date, they can actually send you a summons every month until you actually serve.

Federal court is a different story. I've known people who were summoned to the Federal court in Los Angeles and it was not fun at all.
No transportation? They'll send a marshal to pick you up and bring you to court (you're on your own for getting home). Show up in jeans and a t-shirt? You'll be threatened with contempt if you don't show up in a suit after lunch. It is VERY difficult to get even a hardship exemption from the Feds.

RudyN
09-06-2010, 8:29 PM
I've been called twice. The first time was before I retired. I was asked to take the jury list up to the courtroom and the Judge's clerk asked what I was doing there as I had worked for superior court for 24 years. I was excused before I could even sit down. :D The second time I went into court for the selection and I wasn't recognized so I sat down and listened to the stuff for two days. If it sounds boring to people who are waiting to be called to the box, be someone who has to listen to that stuff all of the time. I worked for superior court for 24 years and probably sat through 200-300 jury trials and a whole bunch of court trials. Overall I worked for the court systems for over 40 years. Try putting up with attorneys for that long.

sniper5
09-06-2010, 9:30 PM
Called lots of times, never served. Always got dismissed.

My former employer, an ex-cop once said, laughing: "No SANE lawyer would ever let YOU sit on a jury!"

Wonder what he meant by that . . .:confused:

glenndf
09-07-2010, 1:33 PM
Being physically out of state is certainly a valid reason for an extension, but you can't let this stuff sit... it won't take care of itself.
I don't believe your situation would be grounds for a full exemption, unless you don't move back home during break. If that's the case, then you are no longer a California resident and would be permanently excused until you move back to CA.

If you are maintaining dual residency, then you would be subject to jury service during the months that you are a resident of California, and you would be able to have your service rescheduled for that time, or most likely, they would simply grant you an excusal from service and indicate that you MAY be called back later.

You can only be forced to serve once per year IF you actually appear in the building. If you are excused via phone-in or for whatever reason prior to your appearance date, they can actually send you a summons every month until you actually serve.

Federal court is a different story. I've known people who were summoned to the Federal court in Los Angeles and it was not fun at all.
No transportation? They'll send a marshal to pick you up and bring you to court (you're on your own for getting home). Show up in jeans and a t-shirt? You'll be threatened with contempt if you don't show up in a suit after lunch. It is VERY difficult to get even a hardship exemption from the Feds.
Thank you for explaining this to me. Perhaps what I heard from an acquaintance of mine here was :fud:or didn't apply to Kalifornia.
Maybe I should have been clearer in my post...what happened is I was called over the summer but was able to got a postponement for later in the summer. It was here where the failure to appear occurred. I guess I used the wrong group number in checking my status, even though I never received the piece of paper that had what was allegedly the correct group number on it. Called up, explained what happened and bam! got my courtesy exemption. I would still like to find a way to check my eligibility/status just to make sure there isn't an arrest warrant out for me, and if there is, find a way to clear it up.

Cokebottle
09-07-2010, 6:59 PM
I would still like to find a way to check my eligibility/status just to make sure there isn't an arrest warrant out for me, and if there is, find a way to clear it up.
Only thing you could really do (without an attorney) would be to walk into the court where you suspect there may be a warrant and ask.
If there is one, you may or may not be arrested... just be prepared to post bond, or pay whatever fines to clear it up ASAP.
Given the situation, they would tend to be lenient, but honestly, it wouldn't hurt to go through an attorney to get a certain level of protection so you don't get cuffed and hauled off as soon as you ID yourself.

Have you had any dealings with LE in California after the time you suspect the warrant may have been issued? If so, you are probably clear, though I have seen (and been in) situations where the cop did not run for wants and warrants.

glenndf
09-07-2010, 7:12 PM
Only thing you could really do (without an attorney) would be to walk into the court where you suspect there may be a warrant and ask.
If there is one, you may or may not be arrested... just be prepared to post bond, or pay whatever fines to clear it up ASAP.
Given the situation, they would tend to be lenient, but honestly, it wouldn't hurt to go through an attorney to get a certain level of protection so you don't get cuffed and hauled off as soon as you ID yourself.

Have you had any dealings with LE in California after the time you suspect the warrant may have been issued? If so, you are probably clear, though I have seen (and been in) situations where the cop did not run for wants and warrants.
My one run in with California LE was before I was supposed to appear. I don't think it's too likely a warrant was issued, I just want to double check and make sure I was entered as being ineligible for another year. My recent dealings with the County court system over a speeding ticket taught me that county employees are, ummm, not the most efficient employees in the world. All I want to do is some CYA.

Getting cuffed sounds like the pretty much the last thing I ever want to do. What options would I have with an attorney? Would such a warrant make a firearms eligibility check come back negative, and show up as the reason? IIRC an outstanding arrest warrant makes you ineligible.

Cokebottle
09-07-2010, 7:36 PM
Getting cuffed sounds like the pretty much the last thing I ever want to do. What options would I have with an attorney?
An attorney would be able to act on your behalf and would be able to make arrangements to correct the issue. PROBABLY without an actual arrest, probably with a court hearing, but he would likely be able to negotiate a deal prior to you actually appearing before anyone who would arrest you. You would appear and plea "no contest" and the judge would read the agreed upon restitution.

My step daughter had an FTA on a traffic violation. PD picked her up on a Sunday morning. 12 hours in jail. $5,000 bail (cost us $500). She appeared in court and made arrangements to pay the fine with no further time served.
Would such a warrant make a firearms eligibility check come back negative, and show up as the reason? IIRC an outstanding arrest warrant makes you ineligible.
It shouldn't unless it is a felony or a prohibiting misdemeanor, but we've seen posts from people who have had a DROS hold placed due to unpaid parking tickets.
The State of California is very good at extortion ;)

retired
09-07-2010, 9:42 PM
Talk about old threads.:D Well, since it has been revived, I'll tell mine.

I received a jury summons pretty much every year I was in le and for about 4yrs. before that. Before le, I was in law school, so I would watch criminal cases in the muni court in Whittier where I lived.

A couple of years later I was summoned to Norwalk Superior Court. I was called a couple of times and the PD recognized me from Whittier court. Once he remembered I had been in law school, he excused me every time.:D

While in le, I took the le exemption as there really wasn't any sense in going since I would be dismissed. Once medically retired, I continued to receive them and finally had to contact my doctor to obtain a permanent medical exemption. I am unable to sit for long periods. If I physically could, I would like to serve, but realistically, I know I never would due to my le backround.

glenndf
09-08-2010, 1:14 PM
An attorney would be able to act on your behalf and would be able to make arrangements to correct the issue. PROBABLY without an actual arrest, probably with a court hearing, but he would likely be able to negotiate a deal prior to you actually appearing before anyone who would arrest you. You would appear and plea "no contest" and the judge would read the agreed upon restitution.
I'll just take my chances. I doubt San Mateo County LE has the resources or interest to find me (if there even is a warrant). Besides, I'm only in the PRK for like two months over the next year due to school and internship stuff, and I doubt I'll be driving most of that time.

My step daughter had an FTA on a traffic violation. PD picked her up on a Sunday morning. 12 hours in jail. $5,000 bail (cost us $500). She appeared in court and made arrangements to pay the fine with no further time served.
This almost happened to me this summer :eek:. I got a speeding ticket, and the LEO wrote down my DL# wrong. Superior Court finally got my case in two days before I was due to appear. Paid the ticket, signed up for traffic school, and was on my way.

The State of California is very good at extortion ;)

This it is :(

Thanks for all the advice on this issue :)

FLIGHT762
09-08-2010, 6:33 PM

Same here. I got a notice the other day and I will be going on the 21st. I've gotten Jury summons both years I've been retired.