PDA

View Full Version : Rifle on display

CALboy
09-05-2009, 7:34 AM
So I know about having a mag lock if using a pistol grip rifle, but one question I have is what if I want to have it displayed on the wall, on a nice holder. But I want the rifle to look authentic. That means pistol grip, stock mag release. I was thinking I would have the pistol grip unscrewed and either friction holds it, or a small piece of double face tape just enough to hold it. But if you pick it up the grip would fall off.

I know I could just easily install a mag lock device but this is more for the history of the weapon and I would like to keep it as original as I can.

I really like the idea of the loose pistol grip, just sitting where it would originally go. If there is no way it can be used as a grip is that still legal. Of course the screw would be no where near it and locked up. Maybe even hot glue the grip on the display while the rifle sits on the grip. Oh this is on a ak type rifle, so no telescoping stock, or flash hider, or forward grip.

CHS
09-05-2009, 7:50 AM
Either get a fake gun up on that wall, or obey the law.

CSACANNONEER
09-05-2009, 7:55 AM
In today's world, why would you want to display a real firearm on the wall? It's just advertising that you have stuff to steal! Anyway, I don't think the law allows for double sided tape or the like. If a PG is attached in any manner, it's attached! Why don't you just CORRECTLY use a JP, Radlock, Solar Tactical, etc. and a 10/30 mag if you insist on displaying a real AK on the wall. I believe one of the earliest AK mag locks was completely hidden but, you had to top load the rifle. You could use one of them. I'm just not positive which ones they were? Maybe the jperls or something like that? Oh, I'd recommend at least removing the firing pin so the dumb-ask who steals it won't be able to figure out how to use it.

B Strong
09-05-2009, 8:57 AM
In today's world, why would you want to display a real firearm on the wall? It's just advertising that you have stuff to steal! Anyway, I don't think the law allows for double sided tape or the like. If a PG is attached in any manner, it's attached! Why don't you just CORRECTLY use a JP, Radlock, Solar Tactical, etc. and a 10/30 mag if you insist on displaying a real AK on the wall. I believe one of the earliest AK mag locks was completely hidden but, you had to top load the rifle. You could use one of them. I'm just not positive which ones they were? Maybe the jperls or something like that? Oh, I'd recommend at least removing the firing pin so the dumb-ask who steals it won't be able to figure out how to use it.

+1 - not only is it an invitation to theft, but some self-appointed do-gooder could take offense and report the rifle to the authorites as-wait for it-a MACHINEGUN - and the next thing you know you get a visit.

Seesm
09-05-2009, 9:15 AM
nah gotta follow laws... or get a old demilled unit.. maybe that would work? Just guessing of course...

Jason762
09-05-2009, 9:23 AM
nah gotta follow laws... or get a old demilled unit.. maybe that would work? Just guessing of course...

Or go for airsoft. At least airsoft you can take it down when your buddies come over and shoot it in the backyard...

Blue
09-05-2009, 9:26 AM
Put a maglock on it and flip it the other way so you can't see it. They also make some really nice looking picture frame type display cases that lock up secure.

Ruiner
09-05-2009, 10:07 AM
People are free to do whatever they want, but IMHO, "displaying" your fully functional firearms is one thing I'm not too keen on. What would be the purpose of this, really? You could just as well put up some replicas or demilled rifles and nobody would be the wiser, if thats the kind of decoration you would like.

Rob454
09-05-2009, 12:28 PM
You can get fake rifles or get some airsoft if you really want to have a display.

JagerTroop
09-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Get one of these, and stick an upper on it.

NON-FIRING Demonstrator AR Receiver
(https://www.vbd.com//noc/shop/products_detail.asp?CategoryID=89&ProductID=327)

http://www.vbd.com/noc/images/products/32721233.jpg

gunsmith
09-05-2009, 12:41 PM
+1 - not only is it an invitation to theft, but some self-appointed do-gooder could take offense and report the rifle to the authorites as-wait for it-a MACHINEGUN - and the next thing you know you get a visit.

When they visit, and I doubt they will, ask them if they would like some ice tea.
If you're legal you're legal. Period.

CALboy
09-05-2009, 2:06 PM
Well I guess im going to make another one, a real one but weld in the firing pin hole and tack in the bolt. Probably get one with no matching numbers and a shot out barrel, a junker kit and slap it together with a spotwelded mag too. Anyways its for my reloading room which only a rare few have been in so im not worried about snitches, but I always do worry about theif. Maybe if they see the non working rifle they will take that and scram thinking they scored.
I really cant see myself buying airsoft, must resist.