PDA

View Full Version : anti-gun artical in local rag

redneckshootist
09-04-2009, 8:30 PM
http://www.dailydemocrat.com/news/ci_13268796
Well looks like Garen Wintermute made my local paper. :(sigh
heres the text of the article

From pocket-size assault weapons and sniper rifles that can kill a man a mile and a half away to incendiary armor-piercing bullets, you can find what you are looking for at gun shows across the United States -- even if you do not want your name to appear on any paperwork.

In hidden-camera photos and videos captured by UC Davis researchers, men roamed gun shows with assault rifles slung over their shoulders and pistols tucked in their belts, available for sale with no waiting period, background check or paper trail.

Even at licensed dealers, some with more than 1,000 pistols and rifles at a single booth, there were illegal "straw buys" in which real gun buyers concealed their identities by getting other people to put down their names
Pistols rest on a table at a recent gunshow. The pistols, which can take sound suppressors (shown top) and are larger than regular pistols, are copies of the M-10, an automatic submachine gun made famous by gunmaker Ingram. The pistols are not available for sale by licensed gun dealers in California because they are not on the Approved Handgun Roster, but they can and are sold in other states, such as Nevada. (Courtesy)
for the paperwork and background checks. In some cases, the dealer obviously recognized the "straw buy" but sold the firearm anyway.

These methods are a leading source of guns used in crimes, said Garen Wintemute, the professor at the UC Davis School of Medicine who conducted the study, called "Inside Guns Shows: What Goes on When Everybody Thinks Nobody's Watching."

Guns bought from dealers that sell at gun shows are more likely to be used in violent crimes than guns from other dealers, according to earlier research by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. Mexican drug cartels buy most of their guns in the United States, because it is easier than buying in Mexico, Wintemute said.

In trips to 78 gun shows, UC Davis
Advertisement
Quantcast
researchers captured the culture of gun shows, where white nationalist, neo-Nazi and neo-confederate literature sometimes sits alongside guns and ammunition, according to the report and its photos.

Gun shows account for a minority of gun sales in the United States. Half to two-thirds of gun purchases at gun shows are from licensed dealers. However, they are the most visible place to see unregulated gun sales, according to the report.

California's gun laws are much stricter than those in most other states, Wintemute said. Sales from one private individual to another must go through a licensed dealer, and California law enforcement officers keep close tabs on gun shows.

Federal law requires licensed gun dealers to conduct background checks, but it does not regulate gun shows or transactions between individuals.

"California is a good example of the fact that you can regulate gun commerce ... without putting (gun shows) out of business," Wintemute said.

He said he hardly ever saw individual sales or straw buys in California. However, large gun shows take place in Reno and Phoenix.

"You just drive across the border. Everybody knows that," Wintemute said.

To keep guns out of the hands of criminals, Wintemute said, ATF should step up its presence at shows -- officers only go to about 3 percent of shows now, and only respond to complaints. And sales between individuals should also be subject to background checks, he added.

National Rifle Association spokeswoman Vickie Cieplak disagrees. Gun shows are safe, community events where licensed dealers are well-regulated, she said.

Regulating individual sales would be an unnecessary burden on people trying to sell family collections of guns, she said.

PRKArms
09-04-2009, 8:37 PM
The pistols, which can take sound suppressors (shown top) and are larger than regular pistols, are copies of the M-10, an automatic submachine gun made famous by gunmaker Ingram. The pistols are not available for sale by licensed gun dealers in California because they are not on the Approved Handgun Roster, but they can and are sold in other states, such as Nevada. (Courtesy)

Bull****, If anyone wants one of these we'll sell you one right here in good old CA...

This rag can't even get the basics right.

oaklander
09-04-2009, 10:14 PM
FTW!

Bull****, If anyone wants one of these we'll sell you one right here in good old CA...

redneckshootist
09-04-2009, 10:24 PM

and soon they will be able to buy them in woodland :43::eek:

KylaGWolf
09-04-2009, 10:27 PM
OK someone should tell the author of that article to put down the crackpipe.

tamalpias
09-04-2009, 10:39 PM
You all know you can go and leave a comment and post your thoughts to this idiot of an author right? I did. :)

Whiskey84
09-04-2009, 10:44 PM
These are the kinds of articles that make me lose hope. Anytime someone wants to speak out against guns, they are given an article in which to do so, even if they have no good facts to back it up. Whereas we are almost never able to get an unbiased report of even the facts behind these issues...

redneckshootist
09-04-2009, 10:58 PM
You all know you can go and leave a comment and post your thoughts to this idiot of an author right? I did. :)

yup lite them up.:)

Werewolf1021
09-04-2009, 11:13 PM
The sniper rifle thing made me laugh. Since the longest shot ever made was roughly 1.5 miles and the shooter missed twice, I hardly believe a "gangsta" can mimic the same feat. Reporter needs to look at some new job options.

forgiven
09-05-2009, 12:54 AM
:iagree:

yellowfin
09-05-2009, 7:54 AM
I wonder if I submitted an article on rebuilding nuclear reactors on submarines, something I have never done and have little information about, that they would give it the same credibility and print it.

AJAX22
09-05-2009, 8:27 AM
Which Dumbass responded to this one?

AJAX22 wrote:
"The pistols are not available for sale by licensed gun dealers in California because they are not on the Approved Handgun Roster, but they can and are sold in other states, such as Nevada."
Not True... Properly configured these are completely legal to purchase in the state of CA. If you'd like one they retail for $599 at PRKarms in Fresno.

Someone in New York looks at an online catalog without actually reading what it says or with NO knowledge of Ca laws expounds their OPINION. Those items at PRK have to meet Ca laws and be configured as per Ca DOJ. Much like the author of this article, people who refuse to do the due diligence and research should not write about that which they do not know. Unless of course you have an agenda. Say it isn't so Batman! The press has an agenda??

I know I shouldn't let the internet bother me, but that guy is an ***

Nodda Duma
09-05-2009, 8:58 PM
Which Dumbass responded to this one?

I know I shouldn't let the internet bother me, but that guy is an ***

lol did you just get called a New Yorker? :43:

-Jason

professorhard
09-05-2009, 9:04 PM
The very first paragraph reminded me why I love America.

patsline74
09-05-2009, 9:40 PM
Being from Woodland, I find this especially offensive, although not unexpected. Comment posted on the page, and e-mail sent to editor in chief. I'd encourage the same: with enough people, a pro-gun story might show up soon.

redneckshootist
09-05-2009, 9:53 PM
Being from Woodland, I find this especially offensive, although not unexpected. Comment posted on the page, and e-mail sent to editor in chief. I'd encourage the same: with enough people, a pro-gun story might show up soon.

welcome to the forum fellow woodlander:43:

patsline74
09-06-2009, 9:13 AM
welcome to the forum fellow woodlander:43:

Thank you. I've been lurking in the background as a visitor for a while and decided to sign up. Guess I've found an FFL in Woodland whenever this poor college student scrounges enough money for one.:D

AJAX22
09-06-2009, 7:18 PM
lol did you just get called a New Yorker? :43:

-Jason

Yes... and its more than a little offensive.

Hogxtz
09-07-2009, 2:25 PM
It's articles like those that are very damaging and cause the general public to be bias against guns because lets face it, most of the general public are sheeple that beleive everything they hear in the media. Which is just the way the liberal media wants it.

You can write the author but the damage is already done.

radioman
09-07-2009, 6:38 PM
I got mine in a box of cracker jacks

slik556
09-07-2009, 10:44 PM
OK someone should tell the author of that article to put down the crackpipe.

What good would that do, apparently this f**:eek:king lie spewing jack hole as not a brain cell left to be affected by the crackpipe. And its articles like this that the unknowing and unaware public see and think, OMG, THIS HAS TO BE STOPPED, WE NEED SOME KIND OF LAW OR SOMETHING. It's the typical BS form mainstream media, and in this case some backwards arss backwood lefty paper.

09-08-2009, 7:24 AM
No really...what would one expect from a fish wrap called Daily Democrat?
A call for "shall issue" CCWs?
Bwhahahahaaa! :D

yellowfin
09-09-2009, 7:48 AM
It's very evident when those opposed to RKBA are just concocting anything possible to say, mostly snide and childish satire, because they want to disagree rather than having a legitimate and well thought out problem that they actually believe. I believe the former accounts for at least 75% of anti gun articles, replies, and comments; most are so utterly stupid and/or contrived it defies credibility that they are actually serious thoughts from those who write them.

BigDogatPlay
09-09-2009, 10:11 AM
And what we see in this article is yet another example of journalism at it's worse. Rather than write an objective article based on actual research and reporting, what the reader gets treated to is a regurgitation of the study group's press release with a couple of quotes from the NRA thrown in "for balance".

If any of these "reporters" actually had to research and write a real story, I think their heads would implode.

Nevermore
09-09-2009, 4:58 PM
"California is a good example of the fact that you can regulate gun commerce ... without putting (gun shows) out of business," Wintemute said.
Except isn't that what SB585 is attempting to do by running them out of the Cow Palace? Not to mention Nordyke, with the County trying to run them out of town?

haveanicelife
09-09-2009, 5:24 PM
I looked up Wintemute on the UCD website, here's the rest of his publications if you haven't seen them:

http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/vprp/publications/

Super Spy
09-09-2009, 5:39 PM
OK I flamed the article and did my part...next