PDA

View Full Version : Question on legal carry

PonchoTA
09-04-2009, 8:05 PM
Can I keep a holster clipped on the side of my console of my car, and when I'm driving around, have my unloaded pistol in there, as long as it's not hidden? Maybe keep the magazines in the door pocket; accessible but not in the gun?

I was thinking (I know, THAT'S dangerous! :lol: ) about several posts I've seen on here regarding the pistol on the passenger seat in plain view being legal, (but don't let a towel fall on it!!) and thought that maybe I could just keep the holster attached to the console, and when I'm not driving, keeping the gun locked in the trunk.

What do the gurus say? :D Good to go?

Beelzy
09-04-2009, 8:14 PM
NO!

Even though it is "legal" you will have everyone and their brother calling you
in. Unless you want to be late everywhere you go, go with the other "advice".

fuegoslow
09-04-2009, 8:20 PM
I remember someone here tried marketing an in-car holster that would bolt onto the console (next to your knee) or anywhere really. It must have never got off the ground because I never got an email reply when I showed interest. I'm curious to know.

bodger
09-04-2009, 8:26 PM
How does the 1000' school zone come into play if you did this?

hoffmang
09-04-2009, 8:47 PM
I haven't double checked, but I'm pretty sure that the holster has to be on your belt for the exemption to concealed to apply.

-Gene

GoodEyeSniper
09-04-2009, 9:51 PM
I haven't double checked, but I'm pretty sure that the holster has to be on your belt for the exemption to concealed to apply.

-Gene

So, they would consider a pistol in plain sight, but not on your person, concealed? Why am I not surprised.

Liberty1
09-04-2009, 9:57 PM

-Gene

I would call 12025 (f) PC (pistols worn openly in belt holster are not considered concealed) an "exemplar" which doesn't exclude other "open carry" pistol options (shoulder, drop leg, on the dash, or front passenger seat) especially when one considers the jury instructions for a violation of 12025 (a) PC (firearm must be substantially concealed).

lorax3
09-04-2009, 10:41 PM
I see less a 12025 issue here but more of a 626.9 issue. If you were to drive within 1K feet of a K-12 school you will be in violation in 626.9 PC.

If you are convicted you will lose your firearm rights for ten years.

Mobile open carry is very dangerous.

Not sure of the area you live in, but in urban San Diego it is impossible to drive around without running into schools.

Beelzy
09-05-2009, 7:00 AM
You know, I think the "School Zone" law was simply devised to keep honest
citizens from exercising their OC rights.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to OC in my parts, I swear the city built the schools 900ft
apart!

bodger
09-05-2009, 8:36 PM
You know, I think the "School Zone" law was simply devised to keep honest
citizens from exercising their OC rights.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to OC in my parts, I swear the city built the schools 900ft
apart!

If it wasn't deliberately devised to thwart OC rights, it sure did the job anyway.
I can't count the number of schools near where I live. Public and private. No way I could UOC without running afoul of that law.

HondaMasterTech
09-05-2009, 8:54 PM
I've heard conflicting reports about CCW within GFSZ. Legal or no?

professorhard
09-05-2009, 8:58 PM
Over all just a bad idea. Keep a rifle or shotgun in the car instead

PonchoTA
09-05-2009, 9:01 PM
So I guess I'd better hope that if I get car-jacked, or mugged, I should be far enough away from a school so I'm not breaking the law by being ready to defend myself, but the criminal that is trying to rob me doesn't have to worry about it??

Ok, gotchya. :rolleyes:

This frigging state is so stupid.

mej16489
09-08-2009, 3:21 PM
I've heard conflicting reports about CCW within GFSZ. Legal or no?

There are quite a few exemptions to the GFSZ in PC 626.9, one of which is the CA CCW (via PC 12050)

CnCFunFactory
09-08-2009, 5:42 PM
How does the 1000' school zone come into play if you did this?

Uh... I believe you do not pass go and get to go to the gray bar hotel. Please someone correct me if I am wrong.