PDA

View Full Version : Spenceville shooting range closed down?

omega
02-14-2005, 11:37 PM
I tried going to the Spenceville wild life area public range last Sat. and the gate was closed and there were signs posted: Range closed until further notice and "area closed" by Dept of Fish & Game.

Im going to call the Fish & Game dept next time so I dont waste my time driving there for nothing http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

drm600
02-15-2005, 10:20 AM
thanks for posting that info. i was thinking about going there some time this week. let us know what the dfg says.

Leo762
02-15-2005, 11:59 AM
what! that sucks! i was going to go there this SAT! i dont have anywhere to shoot now!

does anyone know of any other free ranges like spenceville? i heard there was one in oroville somewhere but have no idea if it even exists.

omega
02-15-2005, 12:30 PM
call the Dept of Fish & Game before traveling to Spenceville range.

the range in Oroville is even better than Spenceville, it goes out to 700 - 1000 meters? and they have a new rest room and nice new cement tables, gravel parking lot, and it's free and unsupervised.

it's near the afterbay, i think it's on Lincoln rd? it's easy to find

drm600
02-15-2005, 1:10 PM
is this the place on oroville?

[from oroville chamber of commerce website]

Oroville State Wildlife Area

The Oroville State Wildlife Area is an 11,000-acre parcel of land straddling the Feather River.

Within the Wildlife Area are countless opportunities for outdoor recreation, including the Off Highway Vehicle area, the shooting range, and the numerous fishing and hunting spots.

The Wildlife Area is located just off Highway 70 and Highway 162, on the western edge of Oroville. To download a map of the Wildlife Area, click here. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view this map.

omega
02-15-2005, 2:29 PM
yes, that is the Oroville range and the off road vehicle area is right next to it.

Turbinator
02-15-2005, 4:14 PM
I'm not too surprised that Spenceville closed down - they used to allow people to shoot at anything, then they restricted it to paper only, then it's finally closed? Unfortunately, that's the way things are heading in this state. Too bad - what a shame.

Turby

omega
02-15-2005, 5:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Turbinator:
I'm not too surprised that Spenceville closed down - they used to allow people to shoot at anything, then they restricted it to paper only, then it's finally closed? Unfortunately, that's the way things are heading in this state. Too bad - what a shame.

Turby <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dont think it's been permanently closed, probably because of all the garbage and junk people leave behind.

Leo762
02-15-2005, 10:17 PM
so i take the directions from the site,Highway 162 and then to lincoln rd? about how far do i go on 162? do i have to go past lake oroville?
i just dont want to go there and get lost http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

its easy to find once you know where it is http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

i still always shot steel plates at spenceville.

what can i shoot at in oroville?

thanks!

omega
02-15-2005, 10:56 PM
the easiest way to get there, as you get to Oroville you will see a Walmart on the right, take the exit and turn left, dont turn right because that goes towards Oroville Dam, the range is in the opposite direction, not near the dam, keep going for about 2 or 3 miles then turn left on <STRIKE>Lincoln rd</STRIKE> "Larkin rd" the Oroville airport in to your right, follow Lincoln rd and go past the off road vehicle area for a few more miles and you can see the shooting range down on your left in the big open area and make another left onto the road that goes down to the range.

you can even take a break and drive back into town for food, there are plenty of places to eat
and it's only 10 minutes from the range, sometimes I buy ammo at Walmart in Oroville then go to the range.

There is also a pretty nice gunstore a couple blocks down from Walmart called "Huntington's" they sell lots of reloading supplies and firearms.

people shoot steel plates in Oroville too

Leo762
02-16-2005, 9:24 AM
Omega, thanks so much! http://www.calguns.net/bow.gif im really looking foreward to this Sat! http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Turbinator
02-16-2005, 2:54 PM
Originally posted by omega:
I dont think it's been permanently closed, probably because of all the garbage and junk people leave behind.

Agreed about the junk. I used to pack out everything I brought in, including my spent cases. Why help make the place worse when I could help make it better?

I was wondering about the feasibility of buying some private land, then opening it up to Calguns members, friends, family, etc. to use - guess I'd need some kind of liability insurance, I guess.

Turby

fastmanusa
02-16-2005, 4:18 PM
I know that hunting closes on Jan 31 at spensville expect for turkey season(and maybe shooting too?) . I don't know if this could be the reason. I have only been out there in the fall previous years.

dwtt
02-16-2005, 8:10 PM
the range in Oroville is even better than Spenceville, it goes out to 1000 meters and they have a new rest room and nice new cement tables, gravel parking lot, and it's free and unsupervised.

Here's a dumb question. If the range is unsupervised, then wouldn't it be dangerous to have someone sighting in while you walk down to change your target? Maybe I'm one of those who just need a picture.

Technical Ted
02-16-2005, 8:27 PM
Originally posted by dwtt:
Here's a dumb question. If the range is unsupervised, then wouldn't it be dangerous to have someone sighting in while you walk down to change your target? Maybe I'm one of those who just need a picture.
It requires principles known as Common Courtesy, Common Sense, Good Firearms Handling Practices and Cooperation. It also requires Trust and Respect.

You don't walk down range while someone's shooting. You don't shoot down range while someone's walking. You make your intentions known. You cooperate with the other shooters to establish cease fires.

Supervised ranges are established for those who can't handle the responsibility.

ivanimal
02-16-2005, 8:41 PM
[/QUOTE]

Youre right it was a dumb question, now where did I leave your sign?

Turbinator
02-16-2005, 9:36 PM
Not a dumb question, the only dumb question when it comes to firearms is the one you don't ask. When in doubt, ask!!

Turby

Leo762
02-16-2005, 9:42 PM
yeah it is really cool, once everyone is done, everyone goes "clear" and everyone goes up and puts targets up and stuff then "clear" again and everyone fires.

omega, got a stupid question, the directions you gave me are coming from sacramento, right? http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

omega
02-18-2005, 9:43 AM
Originally posted by dwtt:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by omega:
the range in Oroville is even better than Spenceville, it goes out to 1000 meters and they have a new rest room and nice new cement tables, gravel parking lot, and it's free and unsupervised.

Here's a dumb question. If the range is unsupervised, then wouldn't it be dangerous to have someone sighting in while you walk down to change your target? Maybe I'm one of those who just need a picture. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

here's how people set up targets at 1000 yards:

they use a vehicle to drive out there and bring there targets [steel plate, paper, etc]

while a friend stays behind to inform other shooters that you are still out there setting up your target. it would be dangerous to go out there all alone without anybody to warn others, since they might not know your out there.

omega
02-18-2005, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Leo762:
yeah it is really cool, once everyone is done, everyone goes "clear" and everyone goes up and puts targets up and stuff then "clear" again and everyone fires.

omega, got a stupid question, the directions you gave me are coming from sacramento, right? http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Leo762

yes, the directions are comming from Sacramento

when you get to Oroville take the Oroville Dam BLVD exit, you will see WALMART on your right, turn left [going west] on Oroville Dam blvd and go over the bridge.

map directions (http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-10/866930/IM000661.JPG)

Leo762
02-18-2005, 1:02 PM
awesome! thanks again for the directions! i really appreciate it

omega
02-19-2005, 7:19 PM
correction the range is not off <STRIKE>Lincoln rd.</STRIKE> it's off "Larkin rd."

drm600
02-20-2005, 6:50 PM
correction the range is not off <STRIKE>Lincoln rd.</STRIKE> it's off "Larkin rd."

that's what i found out as i went there yesterday. after the left on larkin rd., make another left onto rabe rd.

btw, thanks omega for the directions and map. the range is definatly worth a drive to.

Leo762
02-20-2005, 10:46 PM
man i couldnt make it out there this saturday, next weekend though i dont care if its the raputre, im going shooting http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

omega
02-25-2005, 5:46 PM
I heard they closed Spenceville because somebody has been shooting the cows?

they do have cows grazing right next to the range.

http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Leo762
02-25-2005, 11:43 PM
the last time i went there was about end of november, and on that big board with different annoucements it said: nooooo shooting feb X to June or July (i cant remember the end month exactly) i thought it was BS or they wouldnt enforce it or something, the real reason i dont know, most likely its a combination of all the bad stuff that goes on there

Turbinator
02-26-2005, 9:32 AM
I do know that some places that are outdoor like that close down during fire season, since it's not exactly a quick drive to get out there for the fire dept.

Turby

omega
03-27-2005, 5:38 PM
Spenceville Range has re-opened!

I went shooting at Spenceville range and it was open as usual, with signs posted to take all trash and targets when done shooting..

I havent been back until today, the signs said range opens Feb 19, use from dawn to dusk.