View Full Version : Newbie questions about PPT

09-04-2009, 12:02 PM
I have been reading the PC12070 pages about firearm transfers, but can't find the answer to my question(s). Any help would be appreciated.

(Note: We're talking legal long guns here, not AWs, pistols or full-auto MACs and AKs like the gangbangers had who shot the EMT in the back in San Jose the other night.)

Example: let's say I want to swap one of my WW2 bolt guns for another WW2 bolt gun PPT with a willing party who lives near me. Can long guns be legally transferred face-to-face without going through an FFL? Or do we have to go to an FFL and pay the fees, wait 10 days, etc.?

Or let's just say I want to buy an ordinary long gun from a private party, face-to-face. Same questions?

And where do I find this in the PC?

09-04-2009, 12:16 PM
What you really want to know is if the rifles in question fall under Curio and Relic (C&R) rules. If they were C&R, you could transfer face to face, without the use of an FFL.

09-04-2009, 12:25 PM
See here (scroll up to the top of page for the table of contents if you like):

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Buying_and_selling_firearms_in_California#Buying_f rom_a_Private_Party_-_PPT

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Buying_and_selling_firearms_in_California#Buying_f rom_a_Private_Party_WITHOUT_a_Dealer

09-04-2009, 1:35 PM
Thanks...I kept looking for it in the low 12070's and simply didn't read far enough.

So, if I read that correctly, I don't even have to do it face-to-face, so long as it's a C&R long gun that I buy from another California resident. C&R handguns still have to go through an FFL, correct?

09-04-2009, 2:21 PM
C&R Long Guns 50 years old or more can be done FTF. All handguns need a DROS and 10 day wait unless your have a 03 FFL & COE for C&R handguns, in that case, they will need a DROS, but I believe you can skip the 10 day wait.

They must be done FTF... no shipping to the door.

09-04-2009, 2:32 PM
They must be done FTF... no shipping to the door.there is no requirement that a 50+ year old long gun transfer between two CA-residents be done FTF. The long gun could be shipped to the recipient. Many people won't, because they want to make sure that it isn't going to a minor, or a prohibited person, such as an obvious meth-head. But it isn't a requirement that it be FTF.