PDA

View Full Version : Question about the bullet button/ law

santacruzstefan
09-04-2009, 11:50 AM
I've been lurking on these forums for quite awhile, trying to do some research before I make my first firearm purchase. Initially, I was set on an M1A, but much of what I've read now has turned me toward something on the AR platform.
My question is, what would happen to my off-list rifle w/ BB if they decided to specifically ban the bullet button? Would there be some kind of registration period, possibly, like if they added the lower to the list? Or would it just flat-out be an instant "assault weapon" under the legal definition? Any info/ guidance is greatly appreciated, I just don't want to lose a $1k+ investment at the same time I lose my freedom if they change the law, you know what I mean?

MP301
09-04-2009, 12:00 PM
If you already have it when some such ban/etc goes into affect, historically they grandfather/registration window/etc....So your not risking much unless you dont do it IMHO.

Oh, it would be a 90 day registration......which would make many happy cause it would remove the lock restrictions, etc..... but im sure one of the experts will be along and give you more detail and/or more accurate info.

A good idea is to purchase two lowers and then build from there...The lower
($100) is the part that is considered the firearm... once you have that, you can build and rebuild and change etc....Definately the way to go..

And to build, you dont have to be a rocket scientist...I got the info here on Calguns when I got my first ower and did it myself...of course, the upper already had the barrel on it...I would mess with that kinda stuff...Have fun

hoffmang
09-04-2009, 12:04 PM
My question is, what would happen to my off-list rifle w/ BB if they decided to specifically ban the bullet button?

First, the only way a BB rifle could be banned at this point is by an act of the legislature. As such you'll have lots of notice if you drop in here from time to time.

I think it is highly unlikely the Legislature will address so called Assault Weapons ever again. That said, if the legislature moved to change the law around bullet buttons you'd have two choices under the law. First, you'd likely have a registration window as stated above. Second, however, you'd probably just be able to change the configuration of your rifle to featureless and not even have to register.

-Gene

santacruzstefan
09-04-2009, 5:03 PM
Well, as MP301 said, it would seem to me that it'd almost be better to have it registered if such a ban went into effect, because then one wouldn't need a BB at all, and it could have all the features you would want. I'm just concerned about going through the hassle of having my rifle seized by an ignorant or misinformed cop, and having to go through hoops trying to get it back/ not go to prison. That said, I'm pretty much set on an AR of some type, so am willing to risk it.

DK9mm
09-04-2009, 6:43 PM
Welcome to the forum santacruzstefan!

I am in the same boat. Newbe with lots of questions.

Lots of info on this forum.:)

motorhead
09-05-2009, 12:47 AM
the current fixed/featureless status quo can't really legally change. as for ignorant leo's and overzealous ada's, there is no protection.

hoffmang
09-05-2009, 9:50 AM
as for ignorant leo's and overzealous ada's, there is no protection.

Oh, there is quite a bit of protection (http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/) actually.

-Gene