PDA

View Full Version : What size accessories for Mosin Nagant?

onecrazyfoo4u
09-04-2009, 11:25 AM
So couple of questions for my newly acquired 91-30. I bought a surplus cleaning kit for it also, but really the only thing that fits is the muzzle gaurd, the screw driver tool, and the jag. Not sure what to do with the other 2 pieces (I think they're bore guides or something). My cleaning rod is too short to clean from the rear of the gun, so I had to clean from muzzle end for my first time. Should I just buy a new rod? What size/type do I need? Same with cleaning patches, what size do you guys use?

And what size of bore brush should I get that will fit the 7.62x54r bore (I can't find this specific size anywhere)? Also, I want to buy some plastic ammo boxes for storing surplus. What bullet size is similar or as close to this round as possible? Thanks for the help all!

tenring
09-04-2009, 11:31 AM
7.62 is the same as .30
Cartridge is fairly close to .30-06 dimensionally.

Spiggy
09-04-2009, 11:37 AM
there should be the following 3 unlisted things in a mosin cleaning kit

1. Brush
2. Handle Base (not it's name, but what it does)
3. Punch

You slide the base through the cleaning rod to the head and put the punch through. This will allow the cleaning rod to spin freely with the rifling as you clean the bore from the muzzle. -I'll get pics when I get home

onecrazyfoo4u
09-04-2009, 12:25 PM
7.62 is the same as .30
Cartridge is fairly close to .30-06 dimensionally.

Cool, so if I get bore brush's and ammo cases made for .30-30 or .30-06 bullets I should be fine?

onecrazyfoo4u
09-04-2009, 12:26 PM
there should be the following 3 unlisted things in a mosin cleaning kit

1. Brush
2. Handle Base (not it's name, but what it does)
3. Punch

You slide the base through the cleaning rod to the head and put the punch through. This will allow the cleaning rod to spin freely with the rifling as you clean the bore from the muzzle. -I'll get pics when I get home

Yeah, please get pics if you can. Don't really understand what you're saying here! Thanks.

olhunter
09-04-2009, 1:06 PM
Cool, so if I get bore brush's and ammo cases made for .30-30 or .30-06 bullets I should be fine?

Yep. Any old .30 cal brush is fine.

I have 2, 3-piece cleaning rods. I just screw an extra section in from one to make it a 4-piece. Then it reaches from the breech.

Lucky Scott
09-04-2009, 3:57 PM
I was told to not use the original cleaning rod since it is steal.
Use a regular brass cleaning rod and it wont hurt the bore. Also, you can put two together and clean from either end.

Spiggy
09-04-2009, 4:47 PM
It's recommended to use common modern cleaning supplies... I wouldn't say because of the steel issue, but rather modern cleaning supplies clean better and are made tons better than the rolled steel rod.

Tho_Sun
09-04-2009, 5:06 PM
Just a few specifics.

The bore diameter is anywhere from .311-.312. I would suggest a .30 cal bore snake. Those work very well. If you want to use a rod and one is too short, you could always use that cap it came with (the bore guide) and use the rod from the muzzle end, but just be careful. I would just fork over a couple extra bucks though for a better guide and a rod extension to protect the crown, especially if you have a nice tight shooter.

Don't forget to wash down the bore with some windex if your shooting corrosive ammo, also hit the bolt face and the upper half of the body, those tend to get sprayed a bit with the fumes.

Break cleaner works well for a cheaper version of gun scrubber for the externals.

A nice old tooth brush or one from the dollar store would be good for the other parts~ Oh and Q-tip the extractor cutout in the receiver~ Those tend to get gunked up.

cryoguy
09-04-2009, 5:09 PM
I use an old cleaning kit from an M16. And get a bore snake for a .30 or .308 it helps out alot and you wont go through so many patches.

7.62x54R
09-04-2009, 6:31 PM
i use 4 piece rod out at the range and a carbon fiber tipton rod at home make cleaning much easier. or you can also use a bore snake i do when i am lazy

onecrazyfoo4u
09-04-2009, 8:13 PM
Awesome, thank you guys so much! Looks like I'll definitely be getting a new cleaning rod, one that's extra long and I can break down. I might get a bore snake too, I've thought about it.

I already used brake cleaner to wash all the steel up, and get any left over cosmoline out....seemed to work good. And I just went shooting today, used windex afterwards and it took forever to get her clean, at least 10-12 patches to run through her. You guys suggest hitting the bolt with windex as well then? Thanks so much for the help!

joefrank64k
09-04-2009, 8:42 PM
Awesome, thank you guys so much! Looks like I'll definitely be getting a new cleaning rod, one that's extra long and I can break down. I might get a bore snake too, I've thought about it.

I already used brake cleaner to wash all the steel up, and get any left over cosmoline out....seemed to work good. And I just went shooting today, used windex afterwards and it took forever to get her clean, at least 10-12 patches to run through her. You guys suggest hitting the bolt with windex as well then? Thanks so much for the help!

Check out Empire Arms' web site:

http://www.empirearms.com/

...and click on "How to clean after using corrosive ammo" on the left side of the page (you might have to scroll down a little).

This is the easiest advice I've ever read on how to deal with corrosive ammo. I've used his method and NEVER get any rust.

Dennis Kroh (the owner of Empire) claims that he only uses that method on all his guns and has never had rust, either. And he lives in Florida.

Of course, like a lot of things in the gun world, there are many, many, MANY different views on just about any subject and How To PROPERLY Clean After Shooting Corrosive Ammo is among them!!! So, YMMV! :D