PDA

View Full Version : Double action revolvers

buford1
03-04-2005, 4:56 PM
I thought that double action rev were exempt from the drop test.

buford1
03-04-2005, 4:56 PM
I thought that double action rev were exempt from the drop test.

bwiese
03-04-2005, 5:19 PM
No!

Single-action revolvers - with a capacity of 5 or more rounds, and a minimum barrel length of 3" - are exempt from safety test.

It appears - because of this - that they're just about the only legal handgun you can make yourself in CA.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

buford1
03-04-2005, 7:11 PM
Thanks.
I wanted to get one of them 12" barreled 22lr double actions from Tauras. Didn't think there would be a problem. I was wrong.

Turbinator
03-04-2005, 7:13 PM
Wow, so personally made handguns made for personal use only are not exempt from the CA drop and safety tests?

Turby

bwiese
03-05-2005, 10:04 AM
Turby...

From both a very quick read of the law - and Q&A conversations with top Calif DOJ managers Randy Rossi and Tim Riegert who were invited to a recent Bay area NRA Members' Council meeting - it appears that just about
any handgun needs to be safety certified, etc.

You might be able to make a one-off with prior permission from DOJ and w/requirement that it get safety tested, but there will be lotsa hoops you have to jump thru.

There is an explicit provision in law exempting SA revolvers (w/5+ rounds and more than 3" of barrel) from so-called safety testing. And there is nothing in law prohibiting you from making a handgun (other than safety testing).
So you can make SA revolver(s)...

Bill Wiese
San Jose