PDA

View Full Version : Another dumb C&R question

olhunter
09-04-2009, 8:59 AM
What gets printed on the actual license, the mailing address or the storage address?

Just got my C&R and already findings it's a pain because I'm not usually home to sign for shipments. Gonna change the mailing address if I can get them shipped to my UPS store address. Is this even allowed or do the guns have to ship to the storage address?

dustoff31
09-04-2009, 9:17 AM
Both addresses appear on the license. Firearms may only be shipped to the "Premises Address". The mailing address shown on the license is where BATFE sends mail to you.

You may have additional storage locations, but you can only store firearms there, firearms may not be received at a storage location.

olhunter
09-04-2009, 9:27 AM
"Premises Address" is what I meant by storage address. Couldn't remember the term they used. So, bottom line is no gun shipping to the mailing address? Dang.

Mr Wizard
09-04-2009, 11:16 AM
I just had the same experinece when I ordered from AIM Surplus. On their order form, there was a separate ship to column with a notes box explaining why you wanted it shipped to an address different from your license. (I stated no one would be home to sign for it) They informed me, they can only ship to the address on your license. So have to take time off from work to pick it up now.
I'm hoping the product is worth the hassle when it arrives.

ke6guj
09-04-2009, 12:34 PM
IIRC, most vendors will only ship to an address listed on the FFL. YOu may be able to get them to ship to either the mailing address or premises address.

However, the CFRs only state that you must ship to an FFL, not to any specific address. http://www.atf.gov/firearms/newsletter/0306fflnewsletter.pdf
Can an FFL ship a firearm to an address
that is different from the business
premises address identified on the
license?

Yes. Neither the GCA nor its implementing
regulations contain specific provisions,
requiring that an FFL have firearms shipped
to their licensed business premises when
receiving firearms. To that end, an FFL may
lawfully receive firearms at their mailing
address, storage location, or other address
where the licensee intends to ensure safe
and secure receipt of the firearms.
ATF Industry Circular 74-13 outlines
“Guidelines for Verifying Identity and
Licensed Status of Transferee.” It states, in
part, that “when the shipment is to be made
to an address other than the transferee’s
premises as listed on his or her license or on
his or her certified list, it is suggested that
the transferor verify the address as being
that of the transferee.” Furthermore,
pursuant to section 922 (b) of the GCA, it is
unlawful to ship a firearm interstate to an
unlicensed individual.
We encourage that FFLs verify to the best of
their ability that the shipping address is a
valid location where the licensee is prepared
to receive and subsequently possess the
firearms. In addition, if an FFL has customers
that require frequent delivery of firearms to
an address other than their licensed business
premises, we recommend that the shipping
address be placed on file with ATF’s Federal
Firearms Licensing Center (FFLC) as an
additional mailing address.
It should be noted that any FFL receiving
firearms at locations other than their
licensed premises must maintain accurate
records of acquisition and disposition of
firearms. The acquisition of firearms must be
recorded by the close of the following
business day or, if commercial records are
maintained, within 7 days following the
acquisition (See 27 CFR 478.125(e) and (g)).
In the event of an ATF compliance
inspection, the FFL must make all records
and firearms inventory available for
inspection. In addition, if the location is
used as a continuous off-site storage facility,
the FFL must notify the FFLC so that the
address can be placed on file.

so it is legally allowable to have shipped to a location not listed on the FFL, but good luck in getting another FFL do that.

johnthomas
09-04-2009, 7:08 PM
I just had the same experinece when I ordered from AIM Surplus. On their order form, there was a separate ship to column with a notes box explaining why you wanted it shipped to an address different from your license. (I stated no one would be home to sign for it) They informed me, they can only ship to the address on your license. So have to take time off from work to pick it up now.

Can't you arrange with the carrier for you to pick it up?

joefrank64k
09-04-2009, 7:28 PM

When I'm not home to sign for my new rifle, I have UPS hold the package at the local UPS hub and I pick it up after work.

Also, if I'm home from work early enough, I've had great luck with calling the 800 number on the delivery notice the UPS driver leaves and asking them to see if the driver could attempt another delivery since I'm home. In every case, the driver swings back by my house on the way back to the hub.

I know this won't work for everyone, but here in Los Angeles County (San Gabriel Valley) it seems to work OK.

You can also have UPS "re-route" your package to your work address...but they charge the shipping dealer extra for this, so the dealer might charge YOU extra, as well.

Some dealers will ship the package "UPS Hold for Pick-Up" and then you can just pick it up at the local UPS hub, but they need a daytime phone #.

You can also change the "Mailing Address" on your FFL to your work address. One of the FFL's I deal with (Empire Arms) will ship to the mailing address on your FFL, I'm sure others will, too.