PDA

View Full Version : Big 5 Mosin cosmoline

snobord99
09-04-2009, 8:43 AM
For those of you that have picked up your Big5 Mosins, was there a lot of cosmoline on them? I'm guessing the answer is that they're not too different from any other surplus, but when I was checking them out, I didn't really notice any from the parts of the gun I could see (though I think the oil can it comes with was SOAKING in it). I'm wondering if Big5's supplier actually cleaned them off a little bit so that it's not dripping in the stuff.

AngryPossum
09-04-2009, 9:04 AM
I havent picked up anything from big-5 in a long time....I've found there recent C & R rifles to be absolute crap....Specifically there newest batches of ($900) Garands and over priced Mausers. However; I have found some excellent deals in the past (Circa 5-8 years ago) on Various Enfields and Mosin Nagants....back then I Picked up an Ishapore .308 for like $69.99 and more recently a Nagant M44 In very nice shape for around $80....(plus tax & DROS.)

Both had little to no cosmoline...Although I've found myself cleaning the barrels for hours sometimes...Make sure you clean those really good before you shoot....

You can still get good deals on Nagants for around $100...you can't beat that price for a starter Nagant....although if you look long enough on calguns you can find a lot of great calgunners with excellent deals on these great rifles and you won't have to deal with the TAX, DROS, or waiting 10 days for your Rifle.

Does anyone know where Big 5 gets there Military surplus rifles?

glennsche
09-04-2009, 9:31 AM
For those of you that have picked up your Big5 Mosins, was there a lot of cosmoline on them? I'm guessing the answer is that they're not too different from any other surplus, but when I was checking them out, I didn't really notice any from the parts of the gun I could see (though I think the oil can it comes with was SOAKING in it). I'm wondering if Big5's supplier actually cleaned them off a little bit so that it's not dripping in the stuff.

the "getting cosmo out of the C&R" is answered in many ways in great detail on surplusrifle.com . have a look, tons of ideas there.

as to the Qual of the big5 mosins, they're hit and miss but can be fine. yes, the garands recently were complete crap, but i've seen some great stuff too, specifically, fantastic yugo mausers. i think its just luck of the draw.

snobord99
09-04-2009, 9:36 AM
I actually already picked up...I mean, paid for :rolleyes:...a Mosin there. It gets sprung from 10 day jail tomorrow. I'm headed to my buddy's place tomorrow so I was planning on cleaning it there, but I don't want to do it there if there's A LOT of cosmo in it and would make his place a mess.

It was definitely a starter Mosin ($99+tax+DROS)-10% off coupon = $123.23 OTD was cheap enough for me.

snobord99
09-04-2009, 9:37 AM
the "getting cosmo out of the C&R" is answered in many ways in great detail on surplusrifle.com . have a look, tons of ideas there.

as to the Qual of the big5 mosins, they're hit and miss but can be fine. yes, the garands recently were complete crap, but i've seen some great stuff too, specifically, fantastic yugo mausers. i think its just luck of the draw.

Oh, I'm not looking much for how to get the cosmo out or how good the Big5 Mosins are. I'm just looking for how much cosmo there is to know how much cosmo I have to get rid of.

glennsche
09-04-2009, 10:00 AM
Oh, I'm not looking much for how to get the cosmo out or how good the Big5 Mosins are. I'm just looking for how much cosmo there is to know how much cosmo I have to get rid of.

not much for me personally; mine "looked" clean, just had some in the chamber; mine had the "sticky bolt" syndrome, so i took a borebrush/drill to the range, put a clips worth of ammo down range, cleaned chamber, put another clip downrange, cleaned...etc till the action was good.

Steyr_223
09-04-2009, 10:00 AM
I got a 91/30, M38, and several M44s since 2000. All had little to no cosmo in the barrel, they were plenty of cosmo in the bolt assembly and in the trigger/firing assembly.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/finnishmosin/boltdisassembly/index.asp

http://www.surplusrifle.com/russianmosin189130/rifledisassembly/index.asp

Good reading:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/mosincarbine/index.asp

http://www.surplusrifle.com/russianmosin189130/index.asp

emcon5
09-04-2009, 11:07 AM
Does anyone know where Big 5 gets there Military surplus rifles?For what it's worth, the saddest looking M1 Garand I have ever seen at my local Big 5 had a Century Arms (http://www.centuryarms.biz/) tag on it.

paul0660
09-04-2009, 11:12 AM
Most of Big 5's surplus rifles are Century arms "good" grade. I haven't shopped there in a few years, there used to be some steals on sale.

7.62x54R
09-04-2009, 6:47 PM
one my My 91/30 is a Big 5 one it shoots well. it had almost no cosmoline and has the smoothest bolts compared to my other mosins :D

Eroland7
09-04-2009, 6:49 PM
i just picked up a 91/30 from Big 5. It has a little cosmoline in the chamber and on the bolt, but nothing a steam gun didn't make disapear instantly...

snobord99
09-04-2009, 6:59 PM
i just picked up a 91/30 from Big 5. It has a little cosmoline in the chamber and on the bolt, but nothing a steam gun didn't make disapear instantly...

Awesome. But I don't have a steam gun :(. I'll go at it with some Purple Power degreaser I have in the garage and see how that goes. I saw someone say on some board that that's what they used.

Did you by chance take it apart and see if it's in the nooks and crannies?

Tenamaxtle
09-05-2009, 9:35 AM
I will be shooting my Big5 Mosin today, cleaned everything very well, dissembled every bolt and little piece it had. Didn't came with front sights but they arrived yesterday.

SixPointEight
09-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Picked min up today. The cosmoline isn't as thick as I was thinking, which is a relief, I have a cleaning arsenal ready lol. However, my barrel has been counterbored :( a bullet drops right in the muzzle.

And the first thing I did was get the bayonet stuck on it

snobord99
09-07-2009, 12:11 AM
I don't think I had much cosmo on it. Didn't seem there was that much on it when I was cleaning it so I didn't clean it SUPER thoroughly. Was afraid that would be a mistake when I ended up actually shooting it. Nope. Zero problems :thumbsup:

socomIInato
09-07-2009, 12:21 AM
Mine was pretty clean, none of that goop anywhere. can`t say that about my yugo m24/47 that was a major degooping project.

socomIInato
09-07-2009, 12:24 AM
Picked min up today. The cosmoline isn't as thick as I was thinking, which is a relief, I have a cleaning arsenal ready lol. However, my barrel has been counterbored :( a bullet drops right in the muzzle.

And the first thing I did was get the bayonet stuck on itdon`t worry about the counterbore it should be fine. my first mosin was like that and it shoots real nice. I would be more concerned about it`s rifling.

knucklehead0202
09-07-2009, 1:12 PM
haven't had any trouble with cosmo on or in the guns themselves, just the accessories, which i don't really care about. as far as counterbore, you're better off with that then some jacked up rifling at the muzzle right? all 3 of mine shoot very well.

SixPointEight
09-07-2009, 2:56 PM
True, my rifling looks fine and fairly sharp.

I was taking the cosmo off the stock and accidentally messed up the finish on the top, so thinking I was gonna refinish it anyways, I used brake clean on the rest....the brake clean didn't mess up the finish...The nylon brush did...wtf. Anyways, I'll post pics

Trench Broom
09-07-2009, 5:30 PM
I swear, after handling one of those rifles at Big 5, I can scrub and wash my hands repeatedly and I can still smell that cosmo for the rest of the day ( not a bad thing, though :) ).

SixPointEight
09-07-2009, 6:41 PM
Lol, well I scrubbed it all off, sanded it down, threw on some red mahogany finish, came out pretty nice, gonna throw on some varnish, and I'll put up a photobucket gallery when I do :)