PDA

View Full Version : KEL-TEC SU-16 Barrels?

TRW 7.62X51mm
03-16-2005, 7:03 PM
Are the barrels of the KEL-TEC SU-16 rifles (any model) chromed lined? Or are they just like the Mini-14 (unlined)? Which barrels (16.5" or 18.5") did you find to be more accurate, above 200-meters? Info is appreciated. Thank you.

TRW 7.62X51mm
03-16-2005, 7:03 PM
Are the barrels of the KEL-TEC SU-16 rifles (any model) chromed lined? Or are they just like the Mini-14 (unlined)? Which barrels (16.5" or 18.5") did you find to be more accurate, above 200-meters? Info is appreciated. Thank you.

C.G.
03-16-2005, 8:35 PM
No, they are not chrome-lined; but then again, they are not meant to be heavy war rifles. I have the 18" barrel(16A)and get 2"-3" groups at 50 yards with the original crappy sights; the sights I think are the limiting factor. Once I'll get a scope or better sights, I am sure I will do better. There shouldn't be much difference between the 16" and 18" in accuracy, except that the 18" should have a flatter trajectory and thus be a little more accurate at longer distances.

bwiese
03-16-2005, 10:56 PM
SU16s are not chrome-lined.

I asked KelTec at SHOT Show if they ever'd consider doing this and I essentially got a blank stare from the spokesperson there (employee, not a booth bimbo).

CG, chrome lining has little to do with accuracy. It mostly relates to wear - chromed bores+chambers last a LOT longer due to higher lubricity when bullet travels down bbl. Chromed chambers suffer far less erosion over time too.

Chromed bbls also much easier to clean, and usu chromed bbls are associated w/a milspec chamber which generally means you'll be having far fewer feeding, extraction and chambering issues in rifle w/a chrome lined bbl.

Currently the only major rifles I know w/chromed bbls are <UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> many AR15/M16 rifles by Bushmaster, Colt, Armalite and a few other vendors;
<LI> many AR10 rifles in .308 by Armalite - but NOT new Bushmaster 308.
<LI> M14 rifles and base model Springfield Armory M1As until recently (they used to use TRW or H&R milspec barrels). Higher-end Springfield M1As do not have chromed bbls
<LI> HK91/93/94 and G3 rifles. (Aftermarket rebuilds with US parts may not have chromed bbl)
<LI> Many orig FAL rifles have chromed bbls though Steyr STG58 had chromed chamber only.
<LI> The orig FN SPR rifle - sold for $700+ in 1990s. Very accurate rifle, too!
<LI> as an aside many Beretta pistols have chrome-lined bbls.
[/list]

Bill Wiese
San Jose

C.G.
03-17-2005, 12:03 AM
I did not mean to infer that chrome-lining is more accurate, only that a longer barrel (regardless of lining) will have a slightly flatter trajectory over longer distance, thus making it slightly more accurate at longer distances. I think TRW is trying to decide between an SU-16 and a mini-14, as I was a while back; I am glad that I went with the SU-16A over the Mini 14. It is a neat little semi, reasonably accurate for $470 I spent (especially over a Mini), customer service from Kel-Tec has been very good; and I do not expect it to last forever. If one wants something with chrome-lined barrel one would have to spend a lot more money, as I am doing now with a FAB-10 lower and Bushmaster upper. I will keep the SU-16, however; it is just a hoot to shoot and light. My only criticism is the sights, but that can be easily corrected.

TonyNorCal
03-17-2005, 1:18 AM
When barrels are relatively thin, such as on the SU-16 and Mini-14, a longer barrel may decrease accuracy in that it is more prone to the effects of harmonics and heat warping. A number of mini-14 gurus actually cut down their barrels in order to produce a more rigid platform. Great Mini resources ~&gt; ( www.perfectunion.com (http://www.perfectunion.com) )