PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a question

lakai777
09-04-2009, 12:54 AM
Hey there. I appreciate any and all help you may be able to provide.

Situation: I'm in SoCal, weapon I want to purchase is in NorCal by a private party.

I'm driving up to NorCal for business anyway in a couple weeks so I was wondering if there was a way I can take care of the paperwork, background check, etc, and send it to the FFL, while the weapon is taken to a FFL by the seller, where he can hold it until the background check is done. By then, I should be up in NorCal, and pick up the weapon.

Is this scenario possible? Or do I have to be in person both times for a transfer?

Thanks.

kemasa
09-04-2009, 11:43 AM
You have to go to the FFL twice, in person, there is no other option unless you are exempt from the waiting period.

lorax3
09-04-2009, 4:14 PM
Unless the weapon is a non-rostered handgun then you can have it sent to a local FFL in Socal if making two trips is a hassle.

lakai777
09-05-2009, 12:20 AM
Can I be in person with the NoCal FFL to fill out the DROS forms and such, then have the FFL send to a SoCal FFL where I can pick the weapon up?

tenpercentfirearms
09-05-2009, 9:24 AM
Can I be in person with the NoCal FFL to fill out the DROS forms and such, then have the FFL send to a SoCal FFL where I can pick the weapon up?

No. As has been stated, you either go to the same shop twice or you are a cop with a department letter head and you go to the same shop once. There are no exceptions.

If the handgun is on the list, you can have it sent down to a local FFL to be DROSed, but you will pay an uncapped transfer fee. Which if it is $50 might be more cost effective than driving up and down the state twice.

lakai777
09-05-2009, 9:38 AM
thanks everyone, for your help. very much appreciated