PDA

View Full Version : Appleseed Shooters: Transition to High Power Rifle?

ocabj
09-03-2009, 6:29 PM
I've noticed that quite a few people have taken an Appleseed course to further their marksmanship skills.

I'm just wondering if any of you have used the experience and information from Appleseed to make the jump to (NRA or CMP) High Power Rifle, either Service or Match rifle categories.

If you have considered High Power, but didn't make the plunge, what has held you back?

RobT2K
09-03-2009, 8:07 PM
I'm waiting on my CMP Garand, then I'm gonna give it a shot.
The range I belong to has some Garand and high power matches.

dav
09-04-2009, 9:45 AM
I used Appleseed to get my CMP M1 - but have no interest in matches.

Francis Marion
10-24-2009, 9:55 AM
NRA HP is a great way to practice what you learned in an AS clinic.
Some people who have never tried HP may be reluctant to try it because they don't 'know how' to shoot from field positions. If you don't know the basics, an Appleseed weekend will fix that.

Once you do know the basics, HP is one great way to practice, validate and refine technique at full distance. Service rifle shooters especially.

In the US today, we don't have a draft. People choose to serve in the military.

It's a small but important, and voluntary, favor that we do our country today to at least know how to shoot a service rifle competently. Participation in HP, especially for shooters who've gone thru a basic marksmanship clinic, is a great way to prepare yourself, as a rifleman, should our country ever call upon The People in a crisis.

That's the whole purpose of the Director of Civilian Marksmanship (DCM) in days past and of the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) today. That's our place to learn and master rifle skill in a militarily useful context.

Rifle skill, our arms bearing heritage, can use your participation. It's not the only way path, but it is local, effective, and a proven means to proficiency.

If your country called you today, would you be ready? Could you be more ready? That's something to think about. I'd encourage you to carve out some time for HP, for yourself and for your family.