PDA

View Full Version : purchasing out of town (within California)

aethyr
09-03-2009, 5:28 PM
I'm in SoCal. Lets say I want to purchase a gun, either a regular retail purchase or a PPT, in NorCal. I make the trip up for the initial purchase, background check, handgun safety, etc.

Can the gun shop then just ship the gun directly to my house after 10 days, or would I have to make a 2nd trip up to pick up the gun?

The reasoning behind my question is that if I handle all the paperwork at my initial visit, does the gun become officially "mine" after 10 days? If so, then the gun just happens to be in the possession of the gun shop, as if it were for repairs, so they should just be able to ship it to me right?

Librarian
09-03-2009, 6:58 PM
Nope. 2nd trip to the gun store is usually required. You have to go back, re-identify yourself so the store knows the person receiving the gun is the same as the one DOJ just ran the background check against.

PC 12071 (b) (3) (3)No firearm shall be delivered:

(A)Within 10 days of the application to purchase, or, after notice by the department pursuant to subdivision (d) of Section 12076, within 10 days of the submission to the department of any correction to the application, or within 10 days of the submission to the department of any fee required pursuant to subdivision (e) of Section 12076, whichever is later.

(B)Unless unloaded and securely wrapped or unloaded and in a locked container.

(C)Unless the purchaser, transferee, or person being loaned the firearm presents clear evidence of his or her identity and age to the dealer.

He could, theoretically, come to you: PC 12071 (b) (1)(D)The firearm may be delivered to the purchaser, transferee, or person being loaned the firearm at one of the following places:

(i)The building designated in the license.

(ii)The places specified in subparagraph (B) or (C).

(iii)The place of residence of, the fixed place of business of, or on private property owned or lawfully possessed by, the purchaser, transferee, or person being loaned the firearm.

BT JUSTICE
09-04-2009, 11:37 AM
When I bought my .50cal beltfed semi auto (just before the ban deadline), I had to make two separate trips to Anaheim (Gunrunners) from the north bay to pay for the gun and start the dros, and then a separate trip to pick up and take possession of the bare reciever before the first of the year. To make matters worse, I had to then UPS the bare, unfinished, reciever back to the factory for completion. About a month later, it came back to me in FIVE heavy boxes. UPS guy was annoyed, but it was like Christmas for me:)

wash
09-04-2009, 11:41 AM
You could have the distant FFL ship the gun to a FFL closer to you, then do the transfer there. Not a PPT but it gets the job done and is probably a lot cheaper than the travel.