PDA

View Full Version : What ever happened to this proposed ordinance?

IGOTDIRT4U
09-03-2009, 4:56 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=2889374&postcount=32

Stormfeather
09-03-2009, 5:24 PM
which ordinance is this?

obeygiant
09-03-2009, 6:03 PM
IIRC it was the Desert Hot Springs Gun Ban and I believe Chuck convinced them to not waste their time on it.

Issue: DESERT HOT SPRINGS: GUN BAN

Description: The City of Desert Hot Springs, California, is considering an ordinance which would prohibit the possession and/or sale of firearms and ammunition on city property and/or in city facilities. Below are a few "talking points" that Desert Hot Springs residents may wish to discuss with their city council members:

1) The law cited in the Background section of the Report to the City Council (Nordyke v. Alameda) is currently under review by the California Supreme Court. This means it cannot be used to legally support the proposed ordinance.

2) This ordinance does not make an exemption for CCW permit holders.. Thus, it would be in conflict with state law re CCW restrictions and state law overrules local laws.

3) There is no exception for people who live in public housing. Not allowing law-abiding citizens to protect themselves in their homes, even in public housing, is a violation of the residents’ Second Amendment rights.

4) There is no exception for people crossing the sidewalk in front of their homes from the car. Without this exception, law enforcement can stop law-abiding citizens just for carrying their legal firearms or ammunition into their house. This would likely be a violation of the Second Amendment.

5) The state legislature may amend the California Constitution to include a right to hunt. If that is adopted, it would be invalid to the extent it would prohibit the possession of firearms on City-owned hunting areas.

Latest Info: 08/04/2009 - The City of Desert Hot Springs is considering the ordinance TONIGHT (August 4, 2009). As tonight is the First Reading of the ordinance, the enactment process is in motion. In the next couple of weeks, the City Council will take into consideration public comments. If the City Council does not revise the ordinance, the City Council will vote to enact the ordinance at the Second Reading, currently scheduled for September 1, 2009. If you are a resident of Desert Hot Springs, please contact the mayor or your councilmember TODAY and respectfully urge them to oppose the ordinance.

Now that I've gotten to Chuck's bit, he's talking primarily about not wanting to have to fight a bunch of local ordinances.

Desert Hot Springs tried to pass an ordinance banning open carry, and they were able to convince them they shouldn't try. But it did cost time and money, on both sides.

He's also concerned that bills advertised to "stop open carry" will also include extra poison to prohibit gun shows, etc.

BTW, if you're fast forwarding and trying to find Chuck's bit, he's the one that sounds all "phoned in"; the rest of the program is mostly microphones and interviews.

Wow, just learned something... calnra.com is a LOT easier to remember than nramemberscouncils.com, and it goes to the same site. I used to keep trying .org or leaving off the last s, which results in showing you a domain squatter instead of where you want to go.

H Paul Payne
09-03-2009, 6:17 PM
IIRC it was the Desert Hot Springs Gun Ban and I believe Chuck convinced them to not waste their time on it.
No. It's still a threat.

Paul

chefdude
09-03-2009, 6:20 PM
They are in the process of making ammendments to it....I will keep you posted on the city council meetings

obeygiant
09-03-2009, 6:43 PM
No. It's still a threat.

Paul

Thank you for clearing that up.