PDA

View Full Version : How do I get my drum mag back into CA

Meplat
09-03-2009, 5:39 PM
Many years ago, before the hi-cap mag ban, I bought a drum for my mini-14. I loaned it to a friend to have fun with. Soon said friend retired and moved out of state. Not yet being a CalGunner and as well informed as I am now, I told him to take it and my folding stock with him as they would do me no good here. Now I really wish I had it back. It was not sold or given to him we both agreed it was a long term loan. Every time he comes back to visit he offers to bring it back, but I am afraid that would be unlawful. What do you guys think? Is their any way to do this?

M9Man
09-03-2009, 5:42 PM
unless I'm forgetting something as long as you don't have a pistol grip stock they can't stop you from having those features especially since you owned them pre-ban.

Turo
09-03-2009, 5:44 PM
If YOU owned it here in CA, at one point before the ban, which it looks like you did, YOU may legally bring it back into the state. Your friend can't bring it back for you, I don't think, but YOU may do it.

And actually, if you owned the full mag before the ban, it's legal for you to use it on a featureless rifle I believe.

I think this is true, and just for clarification: IANAL, YMMV, etc. :D

wash
09-03-2009, 5:51 PM
A drum magazine is fine as long as the Mini-14 is featureless.

The folding stock would be a feature, you would need a fixed 10 round or less magazine.

Both are legal to own, it's what you might do with them that could be illegal.

The stock can be brought in with zero legal risk unless it's attached to a Mini-14.

The safest way to get the magazine is to visit your friend and bring it back, but only because if your friend gets stopped with it and he's not a resident, he might have some legal risk.

Mailing it disassembled would be another safe way to do it.

ChibiPaw
09-03-2009, 6:06 PM
Indian giver.
Make sure you get it back with interest!

cousinkix1953
09-03-2009, 6:19 PM
If YOU owned it here in CA, at one point before the ban, which it looks like you did, YOU may legally bring it back into the state. Your friend can't bring it back for you, I don't think, but YOU may do it.

And actually, if you owned the full mag before the ban, it's legal for you to use it on a featureless rifle I believe.

I think this is true, and just for clarification: IANAL, YMMV, etc. :D
He only needs to act like an ignorant visitor from another state. Congress gave us the right to travel from one state to another unmolested, even with our guns. These Kommiefornia fascists should be forced to obey the "Firearms Owners Protection Act", whether they like it or not.

New Jersey police used to harass ham radio operators, who had certain types of equipment in their cars. A deluge of complaints to the FCC resulted in an executive order. The states no longer have the right to ban or restrict, the use of federally licensed transmitters, in the possession of those authorized to use them...

Meplat
09-03-2009, 6:48 PM
Actually I was thinking of just buying him one. He can buy just about anything in North Dakota.

Indian giver.
Make sure you get it back with interest!

Meplat
09-03-2009, 7:02 PM
I think maybe I will have him mail the parts in separate packages. That way they are just parts. The chalote folder is cool but not really a tactical big deal. I only have one 5rnd mag everything else is 20 or more. With my luck if the cops ever searched my house and I had the folder on, one of them would stick a 30 rounder in it a say "look what I found". I don't want the folder back.

Mailing it disassembled would be another safe way to do it.

Quiet
09-03-2009, 7:48 PM
Many years ago, before the hi-cap mag ban, I bought a drum for my mini-14. I loaned it to a friend to have fun with. Soon said friend retired and moved out of state. Not yet being a CalGunner and as well informed as I am now, I told him to take it and my folding stock with him as they would do me no good here. Now I really wish I had it back. It was not sold or given to him we both agreed it was a long term loan. Every time he comes back to visit he offers to bring it back, but I am afraid that would be unlawful. What do you guys think? Is their any way to do this?

You owned the large capacity magazine in CA before 01-01-2000, so you can legally bring it back to CA.

Penal Code 12020
(a) Any person in this state who does any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison:
(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine.
(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any of the following:
(23) The importation of a large-capacity magazine by a person who lawfully possessed the large-capacity magazine in the state prior to January 1, 2000, lawfully took it out of the state, and is returning to the state with the large-capacity magazine previously lawfully possessed in the state.

bohoki
09-03-2009, 9:04 PM
if its one of those mwg mags you might be better off letting him keep it

oh wait i get it

you are reclaiming your magazine then you are going to repairrebuild it with a ruger factory 30 rounder parts then ship back to him the drum parts then he can reassemble it in his state

Meplat
09-03-2009, 11:23 PM
if its one of those mwg mags you might be better off letting him keep it

oh wait i get it

you are reclaiming your magazine then you are going to repairrebuild it with a ruger factory 30 rounder parts then ship back to him the drum parts then he can reassemble it in his state

Actually I have found 30 rnd Mags to be unreliable Ruger or not. If you load them with 25 rnds They seem to work OK.