PDA

View Full Version : What if Hi-Cap magazines are found in CA?

inbox485
09-03-2009, 2:21 PM
This is purely hypothetical (kinda like dreaming about finding a suitcase of cash). From my understanding, CA law prohibits Hi-Cap magazines on the maker/importer/vendor side but not the buyer/possessor side. So if a Hi-Cap magazine is sold, it seems that only the maker (if in CA), the importer and the seller could be charged. So what if you were to find a hi capacity magazine. Having not manufactured, sold, or imported, the law doesn't seem to apply. Have I missed something?

Decoligny
09-03-2009, 2:24 PM
Yeah, you missed the 37,384 other threads on Hi-Cap magazines where this has been discussed to death.

:xeno:

Full Clip
09-03-2009, 2:26 PM
There is no law saying it's illegal to FIND them. Like on the side of the road.
Yeah, the search function will get you further details...

Turo
09-03-2009, 2:26 PM
The general consensus here on CGN is that there's nothing in the law prohibiting someone from finding and keeping a "hi-cap" magazine. Remember, it's not against the law to own one, and if nobody gave/lent/sold/"all the other stuff in the PC" it to you, then nobody broke any laws.

So in your case, if you find a 30rd AR mag in the street, keep it, and have fun with it!

Merle
09-03-2009, 2:43 PM
There's this activity called "geo-caching"...

Glock22Fan
09-03-2009, 2:48 PM
Yeah, you missed the 37,384 other threads on Hi-Cap magazines where this has been discussed to death.

:xeno:

I've told you a billion times not to exaggerate.

Oh, sorry, you aren't.

professorhard
09-03-2009, 2:50 PM
Everytime a hi cap mag is found in CA, a puppy dies.

SJgunguy24
09-03-2009, 2:53 PM

Kittens too.

Greg-Dawg
09-03-2009, 3:20 PM

Classic.

professionalcoyotehunter
09-03-2009, 3:22 PM
There's this activity called "geo-caching"...

I got into that about 3 years ago. I have not done it this year but I liked it when I started it. Never though of hiding mags.

Merc1138
09-03-2009, 3:24 PM

Wait... does the inverse apply? For example, say I go on a puppy killing rampage, like I just line up 1000 puppies in front of a steam roller and floor it, does that mean I'll find 1000 magazines, or 1000 people may find a magazine?

"But officer, of course I only just found these magazines, look at the trashcan full of dead puppies!"

Ron-Solo
09-03-2009, 3:27 PM
I think if you rescue a puppy, you should get a coupon for a free "regular" capacity magazine of your choosing. :cool:

Merc1138
09-03-2009, 3:32 PM
Ok, so what you're saying is, if there's 1000 puppies lined up in the street and a steam roller is slowly creeping along and I jump into the drivers seat and shut it off, I should get 1000 standard 20 or 30 round ar magazines(or any other standard mag of my choosing) like a stack of vouchers?

Meplat
09-03-2009, 4:03 PM
:rofl2:Will you sickos stop. I'm laughing my *** off and feeling more guilty about it by the second. :rofl2:

Wait... does the inverse apply? For example, say I go on a puppy killing rampage, like I just line up 1000 puppies in front of a steam roller and floor it, does that mean I'll find 1000 magazines, or 1000 people may find a magazine?

"But officer, of course I only just found these magazines, look at the trashcan full of dead puppies!"

M9Man
09-03-2009, 4:21 PM
Wait a minute... I thought every time you find a magazine Domo Kun huffs a kitten?
http://catmas.com/images/2006/10/cat-vs-domokun.jpg

Whiskey_Sauer
09-03-2009, 4:28 PM
This is purely hypothetical (kinda like dreaming about finding a suitcase of cash). From my understanding, CA law prohibits Hi-Standard-Cap magazines on the maker/importer/vendor side but not the buyer/possessor side. So if a Hi-Standard-Cap magazine is sold, it seems that only the maker (if in CA), the importer and the seller could be charged. So what if you were to find a histandard capacity magazine. Having not manufactured, sold, or imported, the law doesn't seem to apply. Have I missed something?

Fixed if for you.

If standard capacity magazines were found in this state, crime would be rampant, gunfire would be everywhere, things would blow up randomly, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria.

Stormfeather
09-03-2009, 4:30 PM
I've told you a billion times not to exaggerate.

Oh, sorry, you aren't.

I know we've told you a billion and one times not to tell people not to exaggerate! :rolleyes:

lioneaglegriffin
09-03-2009, 5:49 PM
Fixed if for you.

If standard capacity magazines were found in this state, crime would be rampant, gunfire would be everywhere, things would blow up randomly, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria.

well it's the political/legal definition and you are referring to the literal, an AW defined by the army is a select fire weapon using an intermediate cartridge, but by California as cosmetics on a semi-automatic.

inbox485
09-03-2009, 5:54 PM
Fixed if for you.

Yes I get the joke, and I almost used the "standard" term. Problem is, the term "high capacity magazine" is a proper legal term in the state of California. It may not mean poop in jurisdictions lacking the legal definition, but unlike the IRS and the term "income", CA has defined "high capacity" very explicitly.

As for the search function, I found it fruitless for answering my specific question. Interestingly, "hi cap" and "hi-cap" return no results at all. The posts I did find focused mainly on the topics of grandfathering and repairing.

cousinkix1953
09-03-2009, 5:57 PM
PRK residents have been buying M-1 carbines by the thousands for decades. Most were sold with two surplus 15 round magazines in a stock pouch. I used to have several of these in storage. A deluge of Korean war surplus 30 round banana mags hit the market in the 70s.

There are lots of older AR-15 and Ruger Mini-14/30 magazines in circulation too. These weren't stamped with "Police and Military Use Only" until Congress passed the 1994 AWB. None were dated (with matching serial nos.) like the Germans did with their G/K-43 rifle and MP-40 machine pistol and pistol magazines. So there was no way to register them either

Nobody can prove whether you owned yours prior to a law being passed in 2000, unless you have only an OLL purchased since then...

lioneaglegriffin
09-03-2009, 6:58 PM
Yes I get the joke, and I almost used the "standard" term. Problem is, the term "high capacity magazine" is a proper legal term in the state of California. It may not mean poop in jurisdictions lacking the legal definition, but unlike the IRS and the term "income", CA has defined "high capacity" very explicitly.

As for the search function, I found it fruitless for answering my specific question. Interestingly, "hi cap" and "hi-cap" return no results at all. The posts I did find focused mainly on the topics of grandfathering and repairing.

use

http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=018149931542195181678:pzxbzjzh1zk