PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question .410/45colt

Donkeypunch0420
09-03-2009, 2:01 AM
I have noticed that many firearms are able to accept both calibers. My question is, are all firearms that shoot these calibers interchangeable? Specifically, what would happen if i shot a .45colt out of my .410 shotgun?

reidnez
09-03-2009, 8:49 AM
I have noticed that many firearms are able to accept both calibers. My question is, are all firearms that shoot these calibers interchangeable? Specifically, what would happen if i shot a .45colt out of my .410 shotgun?

They are not necessarily interchangeable, they just happen to be the same diameter. I assume you're thinking about the Taurus Judge revolver, which is designed to fire both?

Your .410 shotgun will most likely chamber .45 LC, but that doesn't mean you should try it. The pressure specs could be vastly different and, depending on the ammo you use and the design/age/condition of your shotgun, the results could be very nasty. Also, your shotgun barrel is not rifled (unless it's a dedicated slug-gun) so the bullet will not stabilize and could go just about anywhere. You're much better off using .410 slugs.

So, to sum it up: it may not be safe, and you wouldn't gain anything even if it were.

CSACANNONEER
09-03-2009, 8:54 AM
I would not try it unless I was about to die anyways. It is not worth the risk!

Beelzy
09-03-2009, 9:15 AM
There are not too many that chamber both, however some guns like the T/C
Contender SS handgun do.

Can't have that in Calif. though.

CSACANNONEER
09-03-2009, 9:27 AM
There are not too many that chamber both, however some guns like the T/C
Contender SS handgun do.

Can't have that in Calif. though.

I wonder how hard it would be to get a custom 18" rifled & choked barrel made for a TC? I don't see the reason to invest money in one but, it would be Ca legal.

Fjold
09-03-2009, 10:37 AM
The chamber of the 410 shotgun is large enough to fit the 45 LC cartridge but the bore is not big enough for the .45 bullet.

You can shoot the 410 shotgun shells in the guns chambered for 45 LC (single shots, rifle etc) because the rim sizes are close enough to fit and headspace. And the wad and charge will fit down the bore of the larger 45 caliber barrel.