PDA

View Full Version : Question:Can I bring a gun back from TX on plane in luggage?

D.A.R.
09-02-2009, 11:13 PM
I'm going for a week to Texas, & want to purchase a new PPK Walther, does anyone know about bringing a handgun back on the airlines? I just have carry on luggage.
I'm not sure what the current TX registration law is, or how it works if I bring one from there to CA. Please email p-c@comcast.net (also) since I'm leaving 3 Sept. & returning 9 Sept. Thank you kindly.

00BuckShot
09-02-2009, 11:17 PM
Good luck finding a dealer that will sell it to you in Texas. It's a big NO-NO. I don't know of the exact law but I was in Dallas last year for a business trip and was looking at a couple of firearms The guy that I was looking to buy it from said that he could only ship it to a CA FFL and they had to do the transaction. With the additional cost incured, it didn't make sense at the time. I think that the CA DOJ has pretty much put the kabash on that.

SLO_Ryan
09-02-2009, 11:17 PM
If you are a CA resident, I think you have to buy your guns in CA, or have them shipped to a CA FFL

dantodd
09-02-2009, 11:18 PM
If you want to purchase a handgun in TX it has to be on the California roster. You can purchase it is TX and have the dealer ship it to a CA dealer. You will then have to pay the CA dealer a transfer fee that has no legal limit (essentially whatever he wants.)

Federal law requires that any purchase made outside of the purchasers state of residence follow the laws of both the purchasers state of residence and the laws of the state in which the transfer occurs. In our case CA requires any transfer to be done through a dealer who is licensed by the state of California.

Sorry, have a good trip anyway.

Dr Rockso
09-02-2009, 11:21 PM
Only way to legally buy a handgun out of state and take it with you is if you have an 03 FFL and the handgun is on the ATF's Curio and Relic list. But for future reference it is not difficult to fly with a firearm in your checked luggage, you just have to declare it at the ticket counter.

Quiet
09-03-2009, 4:55 AM
If you are not a TX resident or have a FFL, you will not be able to legally acquire (purchase & take possession) of a handgun in TX.

wash
09-03-2009, 9:22 AM
I've flown with guns six times.

It's always a hassle, but SNAFU.

DO NOT BRING ANY AMMO!

Keep it in a locked case. Don't use TSA locks either, get the real deal.

You can't carry on, it must be checked. You have to declare it when you check the bag and chances are the person at the counter will have no idea what to do.

It's an adventure but I've never had a big problem. I even take a receiver with me when I've got valuables that I can't check and I don't want the TSA workers to grab. If my bag goes missing the airport will get shut down and/or I'll call the local media.

Of course, this applies to legally owned guns. If you do something fishy in Texas and then fly it back, I'm pretty sure you could wind up in federal pound you in the *** prison.

sorensen440
09-03-2009, 9:23 AM
The issue isnt flying back with a gun but purchasing a gun while your there

Lyte-
09-03-2009, 9:25 AM
Gun dealers in Texas in most cases will not sell a gun to you in Texas for the most part.

They will offer to send it to your ffl but most of the time they will not even bother.

Thankfully I have dual residency

Lyte-
09-03-2009, 9:28 AM
I've flown with guns six times.

It's always a hassle, but SNAFU.

DO NOT BRING ANY AMMO!

Keep it in a locked case. Don't use TSA locks either, get the real deal.

You can't carry on, it must be checked. You have to declare it when you check the bag and chances are the person at the counter will have no idea what to do.

It's an adventure but I've never had a big problem. I even take a receiver with me when I've got valuables that I can't check and I don't want the TSA workers to grab. If my bag goes missing the airport will get shut down and/or I'll call the local media.

Of course, this applies to legally owned guns. If you do something fishy in Texas and then fly it back, I'm pretty sure you could wind up in federal pound you in the *** prison.

I fly back and forth with my guns quite often and I nearly always have Ammo with me. I have yet to have any issues, and only had my bag opened once by TSA in which they checked my ammo.

I put the TSA locks on the luggage and a heavy duty lock on the gun case.
In fact the TSA has never even asked to inspect my gun when I leave Texas. they just have me fill out a form which they tape to the outside of the case.

not-fishing
09-03-2009, 9:40 AM
If you fly be careful of Lay-overs.

New Jersey has put more than one individual into the slammer for passing thru with handguns.

wash
09-03-2009, 9:45 AM
I'm pretty sure that there is a law against having a gun and ammo in the same case, even if the ammo is not loaded in the gun.

Every time I've flown with a gun, I've been asked if the gun is loaded or if I have any ammo.

It's safer and easier to not bring any.

wash
09-03-2009, 9:48 AM
Oh yeah, my last trip took me through NY, so instead of bringing a small Glock frame I had to bring a rifle.

bwiese
09-03-2009, 9:51 AM
I'm pretty sure that there is a law against having a gun and ammo in the same case, even if the ammo is not loaded in the gun.

Every time I've flown with a gun, I've been asked if the gun is loaded or if I have any ammo.

Naaah. Sometimes where you're going there's no good ammo supply or bulk ammo supply.

When I fly with guns, I always fly with ammo. It's not a problem, other than the 11kg = ~5+lb limit.

In fact I believe there's no specific law [other than any state/local law] about ammo in the same case as long as it's secure.

My usu flight gun case is a Starlight case with a rifle or two and a handgun n it. I pack my ammo in my separate travelling bag, in secure boxes. I've even carried a coupla hundred rounds of 223 & 308 match once.

SJgunguy24
09-03-2009, 9:54 AM

Wrong, you can have up to 11 lbs of ammo in the same bag. The ammo must be in a secure container or box, no loose ammo allowed.

You can buy a gun anywhere you like. But tha firearm can only enter the state via an FFL. Thats a federal law, not state.
The only way I can see around the is if the firearm is already the property of the person, then nothing can keep you from transporting your own property back with you. The only execption would be if the firearm is an A.W. per California law.
If you go to Texas and take delivery there because you have Texas I.D. and they sell it to you. You previously owned the firearm and it's your property. As I see it, thats a gray area but I see nothing against doing that.

Decoligny
09-03-2009, 10:13 AM
When I fly with guns, I always fly with ammo. It's not a problem, other than the 11kg = ~5+lb limit.

Got that backwards.

11kg = 24.2lbs

5kg = 11lbs

dantodd
09-03-2009, 10:20 AM
You can buy a gun anywhere you like. But tha firearm can only enter the state via an FFL. Thats a federal law, not state.

This is not completely correct. You may not transfer possession of the firearm out of state. You MAY NOT buy a firearm in in NV, use it to get your Nevada CCW then pack it up and ship it to a CA FFL. The federal law states that the sale must meet the legal requirements of both states involved and CA law requires a CA licensed FFL to complete the transfer.

Fjold
09-03-2009, 10:21 AM
Be aware that Federal regulations require that the owner be the only one with key/combination to the lock on the case with the firearm in it.

It's always been that way but some TSA people thought that they should have access and were cuting private locks when they couldn't inspect enroute. That has been corrected at TSA through re-training and TSA is now carefully enforcing the federal regulations.

CSACANNONEER
09-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Although you probably won't be able to legally buy a gun and take possession of it while out of state (per federal laws), flying with firearms is easy. It depends on your carrier though. I've been bumped to the VIP lines (and out of a 30 minute wait line) before making me believe that it can be easier to fly with a firearm than without. Different airlines have different rules so, check with your airline(s) before your flight date. Also, I know people who have found airlines which allow up to 50lbs of ammo! You will just have to do your research in advance and know what you can and can not do.

SJgunguy24
09-03-2009, 10:32 AM
This is not completely correct. You may not transfer possession of the firearm out of state. You MAY NOT buy a firearm in in NV, use it to get your Nevada CCW then pack it up and ship it to a CA FFL. The federal law states that the sale must meet the legal requirements of both states involved and CA law requires a CA licensed FFL to complete the transfer.

If that were true, that any handgun purchased must be on the roster.

If the OP has a Texas ID, and a Texas residence then he meets the legal requirments in Texas.
Now if I want to bring a handgun back to California, I have 90 days(IIRC) to self register that handgun per California law.

dantodd
09-03-2009, 11:00 AM
If that were true, that any handgun purchased must be on the roster.

If the OP has a Texas ID, and a Texas residence then he meets the legal requirments in Texas.
Now if I want to bring a handgun back to California, I have 90 days(IIRC) to self register that handgun per California law.

That is correct, for a CA resident the handgun MUST be on the roster.

If the OP has a Texas ID then there is no need for the handgun to be on the roster. However; if you were making that assumption in your previous post then there is no need to use a CA FFL to import the gun.

Here is the Federal definition of "State of Residence" for making a handgun purchase:
http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2001/aprqtr/27cfr178.11.htm
State of residence. The State in which an individual resides. An
individual resides in a State if he or she is present in a State with
the intention of making a home in that State. If an individual is on
active duty as a member of the Armed Forces, the individual's State of
residence is the State in which his or her permanent duty station is
located. An alien who is legally in the United States shall be
considered to be a resident of a State only if the alien is residing in
the State and has resided in the State for a period of at least 90 days
prior to the date of sale or delivery of a firearm.

The most likely pertinent example (see same link) for one claiming dual residency is:

Example 2. A is a U.S. citizen and maintains a home in State X and a
home in State Y. A resides in State X except for weekends or the summer
months of the year and in State Y for the weekends or the summer months
of the year. During the time that A actually resides in State X, A is a
resident of State X, and during the time that A actually resides in
State Y, A is a resident of State Y.

Lyte-
09-03-2009, 11:21 AM
If you fly be careful of Lay-overs.

New Jersey has put more than one individual into the slammer for passing thru with handguns.

good looking out!!!

I will keep this in mind !

SJgunguy24
09-03-2009, 3:27 PM
That is correct, for a CA resident the handgun MUST be on the roster.

If the OP has a Texas ID then there is no need for the handgun to be on the roster. However; if you were making that assumption in your previous post then there is no need to use a CA FFL to import the gun.

Here is the Federal definition of "State of Residence" for making a handgun purchase:
http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2001/aprqtr/27cfr178.11.htm

The most likely pertinent example (see same link) for one claiming dual residency is:

My question, is that 90 days prior consecutive or total amount in a calender year?
It seems that would only count towards FFL purchases, any private party sales would be exempt unless Texas law is like California as far as PPT's are concerned.

M9Man
09-03-2009, 5:32 PM
You might take a look at the new SIG P238 before purchasing a PPK
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PgrjCy58d0

Full Clip
09-03-2009, 5:51 PM
Only way to legally buy a handgun out of state and take it with you is if you have an 03 FFL and the handgun is on the ATF's Curio and Relic list. But for future reference it is not difficult to fly with a firearm in your checked luggage, you just have to declare it at the ticket counter.

Exactly.