PDA

View Full Version : CA AG/DOJ late w/2008 CCW Stats: Why?

Paladin
09-02-2009, 9:05 PM
For the past few years, early every August, the CA AG/DOJ published the CCW issuance statistics for the previous year. This year, they are late.

I can speculate w/the best of them (the OC and Sacto Co messes, TBJ stirring up things, etc.), but does anybody know why they are late this year? They published other gun stats for 2008 on time back in early Aug, but not CCW issuance.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/statistics.php

:gene:

Merle
09-02-2009, 9:27 PM
I'd hazard a guess that the budget mess and furloughs have strained resources and reduced morale in doing actual work.

Paladin
10-06-2009, 11:53 AM
For the past few years, early every August, the CA AG/DOJ published the CCW issuance statistics for the previous year. This year, they are late.

I can speculate w/the best of them (the OC and Sacto Co messes, TBJ stirring up things, etc.), but does anybody know why they are late this year? They published other gun stats for 2008 on time back in early Aug, but not CCW issuance.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/statistics.phpThey are now 2 months late.

:gene: :gene:

Paladin
11-07-2009, 5:44 PM
They are now 3 months late . . . .
:gene: :gene: :gene:

SmokinMr2
11-08-2009, 12:01 AM
Call and ask?

gotgunz
11-08-2009, 12:25 AM
Yeah, because they certainly aren't going to respond to your questions here.

HunterJim
11-08-2009, 9:00 AM
Hey, its government. Things cost what they cost and take as long as they do. If you don't get fired for inefficiency and ineffectiveness, why not?

jim

bboyin4food
11-08-2009, 11:01 PM
Question: are those numbers the amount of licenses issued in THAT year? or is that total in the county?

in other words does, for example, Alameda county have only 195 licenses in the entire county for 2007? or were 195 additional licenses added in 2007?

Librarian
11-09-2009, 7:49 AM
Question: are those numbers the amount of licenses issued in THAT year? or is that total in the county?

in other words does, for example, Alameda county have only 195 licenses in the entire county for 2007? or were 195 additional licenses added in 2007?

That's total, not added-in-that-year.

Paladin
12-02-2009, 10:30 PM
Call and ask?
I did a few times, but no one answers their phone and I don't want to leave my name and number. :TFH:

They are now four months late.

:gene: :gene: :gene: :gene:

Paladin
12-02-2009, 10:38 PM
That's total, not added-in-that-year.
The .pdf does not specify, but are those "counts" the total number of CCWs issued by that county (i.e., their sheriff's dept for any resident of that county), or total number of CCWs issued by that county and all the cities within that county that issue (i.e., their sheriff's dept and all PDs for any resident of that county or those cities)?

kf6tac
12-02-2009, 11:09 PM
I did a few times, but no one answers their phone and I don't want to leave my name and number. :TFH:

They are now four months late.

:gene: :gene: :gene: :gene:

They probably laid off their phone answerers and stat compilers. :p

N6ATF
12-03-2009, 1:30 AM
They probably laid off their phone answerers and stat compilers. :p

CA.gov? EVER lay off an employee? You got to be kidding me...
:p

CCWFacts
12-03-2009, 9:20 AM

I'll call and ask. I've always found them to be friendly and helpful. And they already have me in various registration databases over there...

mej16489
12-03-2009, 11:56 AM
The .pdf does not specify, but are those "counts" the total number of CCWs issued by that county (i.e., their sheriff's dept for any resident of that county), or total number of CCWs issued by that county and all the cities within that county that issue (i.e., their sheriff's dept and all PDs for any resident of that county or those cities)?

It's total CCWs issued anywhere within that particular county.

Meplat
12-03-2009, 12:52 PM
CA.gov? EVER lay off an employee? You got to be kidding me...

No, they do lay off people. The trouble is they lay off the people who actually do the work. The drones stay on.:D

G17GUY
12-03-2009, 4:26 PM
No, they do lay off people. The trouble is they lay off the people who actually do the work. The drones stay on.:D

lol soo true..

Paladin
12-10-2009, 12:12 PM
I'll call and ask. I've always found them to be friendly and helpful. And they already have me in various registration databases over there...
It's been 1 week . . .

:gene:

CCWFacts
12-10-2009, 6:59 PM
It's been 1 week . . .

Ah yes. I need to call tomorrow, I just forgot.

They've always been very helpful to me. Very fast updates on AW reg papers, helpful in finding some legal documents, etc.

Cokebottle
12-10-2009, 7:15 PM
Interesting... I was looking at the denial stats (they used a pie chart), and nearly half (almost 1700) are attributed to "Federal Brady Prohibition"
WTH is that?
There's Misdo, Felony, 5150, Restraining order, and Brady?

Quser.619
12-10-2009, 10:16 PM
I'm surprised it's updated to 2007

CCWFacts
12-11-2009, 3:41 PM
I just called. The person there said they couldn't get them done due to lack of budget. I have no way of knowing if that's the real reason or if it's an excuse of some kind.

However, it's known to all that CA has made a lot of cuts, and things like compiling obscure and unimportant statistics are a low priority for them. I don't see any squirrelly reason they would have for not publishing them.

Paladin
12-11-2009, 4:45 PM
I just called. The person there said they couldn't get them done due to lack of budget. I have no way of knowing if that's the real reason or if it's an excuse of some kind.

However, it's known to all that CA has made a lot of cuts, and things like compiling obscure and unimportant statistics are a low priority for them. I don't see any squirrelly reason they would have for not publishing them.That's weird. How did the Fresno Bee get the current stats?
See: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=248407

I would think the major cost would be in compiling the data, not in adding the compiled data to a preexisting document and then posting it as a .pdf

Something doesn't add up IMO.

Thanks for checking though.

CCWFacts
12-11-2009, 10:59 PM
Maybe the Bee asked the individual counties?

The person at the DoJ said "you can call up the individual counties you are interested in." I pointed out two facts:

It don't matter. The DoJ is required to compile the statistics by statute.
Oddly enough, county self-reporting has, in the past, been in disagreement with what the DoJ has reported.

But that's just my blathering which means nothing unless I want to sue them, which I don't.

As for how much work is involved: it may seem like a trivial task, but remember who is doing the work...

Cokebottle
12-11-2009, 11:08 PM
Maybe the Bee asked the individual counties?
I thought that at first too, but they posted Fresno and the total.

I doubt that the reporter would have taken the time to contact each of the 58 counties and wait for a response, and then total without noting some of the stand-out breakdowns... like San Francisco's 6 and Kern's 4,000+.

Cougar
12-17-2009, 9:33 AM
You can bet that each county DID report their numbers to the Cal DOJ.

They just don't want to spend the 20 minutes to complile and post the report.

The reporter probably just called Cal-DOJ for the number or FOIA'd the reports.

When agencies are under money pressure they invest their major work effort into creating ways to demonstrate why they need more money.... EG: we are so over worked, we just don't have the time for ______________ .

Cougar
12-17-2009, 9:53 AM
Hmmmm.... That Fresno Bee article says:
... As of 4 p.m. Tuesday, there were a total of 28,121 concealed weapons permits in force in California, according to the state Department of Justice -- meaning that Fresno County residents account for nearly 10% of the permit-holders....

But.... Cal-DOJ reports that in 2007 there were over 40,000 CCW Permit Holders in the state

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/ccwissuances2007.pdf

.....I see that Paladin previously pointed out this large inconsistency........

Paladin
09-01-2010, 8:30 PM
The DOJ is now 12 months late w/updating their CCW stats. Their posted .pdf only covers 1987 through 2007.

:gene: x 12

Librarian
09-01-2010, 9:07 PM
The DOJ is now 12 months late w/updating their CCW stats. Their posted .pdf only covers 1987 through 2007.

:gene: x 12

The part-time stats person used to work on Fridays - and has been furloughed all year! :D

wildhawker
09-01-2010, 10:00 PM
I have current stats which will be included with some other "interesting" information very soon.

socalblue
09-01-2010, 10:30 PM
The killer is the states are automated when DOJ processes the CCW paperwork. Really no need for the counties to report for basic stats.

I should take a competent IT analyst an hour or two to create the db query, including front end (IE: web or Crystal Reports). Fill in the dates & run, the computer does all the work.

Paladin
09-01-2010, 10:34 PM
I have current stats which will be included with some other "interesting" information very soon."Included" in what, wildhawker??? ;)

Oh, gee, thanks. Just what I need, another time period to despise. On CGN I've come to hate "two weeks," "soon," and now, "very soon." :chris:

wildhawker
09-01-2010, 10:57 PM
Socal, the licensing authorities do not all report, nor want to report, that which they are compelled to.

Paladin, :whistling: ;)

Two, er, very soon!

BoxesOfLiberty
09-02-2010, 10:23 AM
On CGN I've come to hate "two weeks," "soon," and now, "very soon." :chris:

What about "soonish (TM)"?

boxbro
09-02-2010, 10:27 AM
What about "soonish (TM)"?

What about soonisher than latisher ?

bwiese
09-02-2010, 11:55 AM
Let's not beat up DOJ Firearms Bureau too much on this, OK?

Delays/deferments on doing one thing because of budget reasons can carry over "cover" for delays/deferments in not doing "other" things.

"Omigod we're so busy doing DROSes, CFLCs and armed prohibited person program that we don't have time or staff to deal with even trying to figure out how to do 1st phase of microstamping!"

wash
09-02-2010, 1:06 PM
Does this mean I should buy a gun?

How about two?