PDA

View Full Version : Look for a Piston CA Legal Rifle under $2,000.

himurax13
09-02-2009, 5:28 PM
Hello everyone. I am new here and before I start, I would like to say that the search function does not seem to be user friendly. Are there any tips to make it work better?

Anywhoo, I have done some reading and I have decided that I want a Piston Centerfire Rifle instead of a DI setup. I really wanted to avoid the AR cause I spent way too much time with the M-16 when I was on active duty. So far the only rifles that seem to catch my eye are the Robinson XCR, Remington ACR, LWRC, and the Sig 556. Unless there is some other gas piston rifle out there that can be had for under 2 grand, I would like to know if anyone has had first hand experience with these rifles and which one should I get if it were to be the only nice semi-auto rifle I will buy in the next 6 months? I was also interested in the JP CTR-02 but it costs a bit more than I am willing to spend and, correct me if I am wrong, I believe it is still a DI setup. I also would like to know if adding a JP Tactical Compensator would be pointless on these guns due to their lower felt recoil. I would like to thank anyone who could help me make a better choice.:)

* Edit* I would like to be able to change the caliber. I am mostly interested in 5.56, 7.62, and 6.5 Grendel. I would eventually like to do some competition shooting but plinking at the range and camping trips on BLM land is what I will be using it for in the near future (Is it cool to say that I am also preparing for the Zombie Invasion? :D). I don't want a bullpup rifle because of the lame barrel length laws but the MSAR STG556 does look rather appealing. I would also like to have a custom trigger and I would be using a Trijicon TA31F-G scope with it.

THT
09-02-2009, 5:30 PM
Have you looked at the Addax Tactical GPU?

BroncoBob
09-02-2009, 5:31 PM
Contact Ryan at JK Supply

aplinker
09-02-2009, 7:04 PM
What will you do with your rifle? What are the features you want? How will it be used?

A few options you missed: MSAR STG, FN FS2000, FN SCAR (prices are looking to head toward the $2k line...

All of your options have pros/cons (like anything else), but it would help to know what you want the gun to do.

tiger222
09-02-2009, 7:47 PM
Of the ones you listed, the Sig556 gets my vote, in classic form, or DMR.
The ARC is still vapor ware.
The XCR seems unfinished
The LWRC is an AR, btw.

Of the ones my neferious associate listed, the MSAR STG556 in E4 guise gets my vote.... simply for the spare parts issue, however I think the FS2000 is a better rifle, and has actually been adopted by several militaries.

The SCAR has yet to break sub $2600

Other ones of note:
Daewoo DR200
Robinson M96
HK SL8
HK SL6 (seriously badass and totally a sleeper)
HK 630 (it's criminally elegant cousin)
Steyr USR (you can catch them sub $2K sometimes)

Though overall a Steyr AUG A3 would be my 1st choice, but sadly it apparently is too dangerous once past the Arizona boarder.

aplinker
09-02-2009, 8:23 PM
Good summary, but I'll point out for the OP you tend to like bullpups.

Of the ones you listed, the Sig556 gets my vote, in classic form, or DMR.
The ARC is still vapor ware.
The XCR seems unfinished
The LWRC is an AR, btw.

Of the ones my neferious associate listed, the MSAR STG556 in E4 guise gets my vote.... simply for the spare parts issue, however I think the FS2000 is a better rifle, and has actually been adopted by several militaries.

The SCAR has yet to break sub $2600

Other ones of note:
Daewoo DR200
Robinson M96
HK SL8
HK SL6 (seriously badass and totally a sleeper)
HK 630 (it's criminally elegant cousin)
Steyr USR (you can catch them sub $2K sometimes)

Though overall a Steyr AUG A3 would be my 1st choice, but sadly it apparently is too dangerous once past the Arizona boarder.

himurax13
09-02-2009, 9:26 PM
What will you do with your rifle? What are the features you want? How will it be used?

A few options you missed: MSAR STG, FN FS2000, FN SCAR (prices are looking to head toward the $2k line...

All of your options have pros/cons (like anything else), but it would help to know what you want the gun to do.

I would like to be able to change the caliber. I am mostly interested in 5.56, 7.62, and 6.5 Grendel. I would eventually like to do some competition shooting but plinking at the range and camping trips on BLM land is what I will be using it for in the near future (Is it cool to say that I am also preparing for the Zombie Invasion? :D). I don't want a bullpup rifle because of the lame barrel length laws but the MSAR STG556 does look rather appealing. I would also like to have a custom trigger and I would be using a Trijicon TA31F-G scope with it.

aplinker
09-02-2009, 9:32 PM
I would like to be able to change the caliber. I am mostly interested in 5.56, 7.62, and 6.5 Grendel. I would eventually like to do some competition shooting but plinking at the range and camping trips on BLM land is what I will be using it for in the near future (Is it cool to say that I am also preparing for the Zombie Invasion? :D). I don't want a bullpup rifle because of the lame barrel length laws. I would also like to have a custom trigger and I would be using a Trijicon TA31F-G scope with it.

Hmmm... sounds like you want an AR.

Bullpups don't have barrel length issues - they have OAL issues. a 20" barreled bullpup is CA-legal (like the MSAR). They also tend to have less than ideal triggers.

Caliber changes aren't possible with most of the rifles you mentioned, the XCR being the exception. Again, the ACR is vaporware until they're being sold. My biggest question about caliber changes is why? They often cost as much as another rifle and, for certain, few rifles in 6.5G will be as good as an AR in 6.5G - this is where DI is a winner.

Custom triggers don't exist for most of the rifles you listed. The new XCR trigger is an improvement, but it's still just "ok."

If you're serious about wanting to compete, then look at what 95% of the shooters are using, moreover look at what 99% of the winners are shooting.

osis32
09-02-2009, 9:32 PM
sounds like you want an addax or robinson xcr to me.

vta
09-02-2009, 10:00 PM
I've seen piston kits for under 300 bucks. What's the consensus on conversion kits? Are they crap? Forgot where I saw them but there are probably a few in that price range.

supermario
09-02-2009, 10:34 PM
My Sig 556 is a great reliable smooth shooting gun and it has a nice two stage trigger. If your in the LA area, you can go the range with me and try out my Sig 556 and my LMT. I also have a gas piston AR Pistol i bought from Addax. Its in a different category then the rifles you list but it can be had for 2k.

himurax13
09-02-2009, 10:47 PM
My Sig 556 is a great reliable smooth shooting gun and it has a nice two stage trigger. If your in the LA area, you can go the range with me and try out my Sig 556 and my LMT. I also have a gas piston AR Pistol i bought from Addax. Its in a different category then the rifles you list but it can be had for 2k.

Hmm, can you PM me when you plan to go? I will be out of town during the next 3 weekends. I am free this friday though.

You guys are right, I do sound like I want an AR. If I had to pick a calibre, I would go with the .308. I was going to build a .22 LR from the Model 1 website strictly for plinking and loaning out but I don't know if it is worth spending around $700. I didn'thear great things about the Colt .22 LR. Is there something better?

TZL
09-02-2009, 11:08 PM
dude you are forgetting the king of gas piston rifles, the AK

forget changing calibers, just buy three, a 5.45 ak74 style, a 7.62 x 39 ak47 style and a PSL in 7.62x54r for the really long shots....

the combine cost will be close to $2k....

SJgunguy24
09-02-2009, 11:19 PM

forget changing calibers, just buy three, a 5.45 ak74 style, a 7.62 x 39 ak47 style and a PSL in 7.62x54r for the really long shots....

That's what I was gonna say. Hell screw the PSL, go for a Saiga 308 conversion. A 5.45,7.62, and a 223 and you should have enough left over to buy ammo.

lokmeup
09-03-2009, 12:05 AM
Rugar SR-556 for $1495 at DD's with Troy BUIS (http://www.ddsranch.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=277_290_351&products_id=702&zenid=h8acq19bu9uijj1bjhvudk3qk3)

Major Pal
09-03-2009, 12:20 AM
I've herd nothing but bad things from model 1 sales, if you want a .22 AR go with spikes.

Josh3239
09-03-2009, 1:16 AM

On ARF, in the Bullpup section, there seems to be a good amount of guys who are dumping their FS2000's to buy STGs and I yet to find one on that board who prefers the FS over the STG.

B Strong
09-03-2009, 3:32 AM
Hello everyone. I am new here and before I start, I would like to say that the search function does not seem to be user friendly. Are there any tips to make it work better?

Anywhoo, I have done some reading and I have decided that I want a Piston Centerfire Rifle instead of a DI setup. I really wanted to avoid the AR cause I spent way too much time with the M-16 when I was on active duty. So far the only rifles that seem to catch my eye are the Robinson XCR, Remington ACR, LWRC, and the Sig 556. Unless there is some other gas piston rifle out there that can be had for under 2 grand, I would like to know if anyone has had first hand experience with these rifles and which one should I get if it were to be the only nice semi-auto rifle I will buy in the next 6 months? I was also interested in the JP CTR-02 but it costs a bit more than I am willing to spend and, correct me if I am wrong, I believe it is still a DI setup. I also would like to know if adding a JP Tactical Compensator would be pointless on these guns due to their lower felt recoil. I would like to thank anyone who could help me make a better choice.:)

* Edit* I would like to be able to change the caliber. I am mostly interested in 5.56, 7.62, and 6.5 Grendel. I would eventually like to do some competition shooting but plinking at the range and camping trips on BLM land is what I will be using it for in the near future (Is it cool to say that I am also preparing for the Zombie Invasion? :D). I don't want a bullpup rifle because of the lame barrel length laws but the MSAR STG556 does look rather appealing. I would also like to have a custom trigger and I would be using a Trijicon TA31F-G scope with it.

Build one yourself with an Addax upper and the OLL of your choice, with the stock/grip etc. that you want.

Without optics, you should be able to keep it under 2K easy.

himurax13
09-03-2009, 5:40 AM

Who sells a CA compliant PSL? I might shy away from the bull pup design because I know trigger pull will be a deal breaker for me.

X-NewYawker
09-03-2009, 6:04 AM
XCR
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/XCR-n-mom.jpg
(any excuse to run this pic)

himurax13
09-03-2009, 7:13 AM
XCR
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/XCR-n-mom.jpg
(any excuse to run this pic)

Nice, is there any chance that I could accompany you to the range sometime in the near future so I can check this thing out? :D

tiger222
09-03-2009, 7:25 AM
Yes I like bullpups and yes you need to run a 20" or a 16" with an extension for the oal, but you are way shorter than a 16" AR and the 223 needs bbl lenght

To add the MSAR now have caliber change kits to shoot the soviet calibers and I'm pretty sure 6.8 is coming as well as 6.5.

As far as the FS being dumped, for MSAR, to each's own. I still think and know it's a flawless performer. Different for sure, and probably misunderstood.

TZL
09-03-2009, 10:27 AM
Henderson Defense, around low $700's I got one earlier in the summer

Also DD's and Lanworld do them, and CWS usually has a couple around....

Who sells a CA compliant PSL? I might shy away from the bull pup design because I know trigger pull will be a deal breaker for me.