PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Heller justice Stevens to quit?

lomalinda
09-02-2009, 5:07 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/03/us/03stevens.html?_r=1&hp

Dr Rockso
09-02-2009, 5:12 PM
At least it's another lib, I think it's been expected that he'd quit before Obama was out of office.

lomalinda
09-02-2009, 5:16 PM
Obama will likely appoint three justices within his first two years.

Not good news at all.

8-Ball
09-02-2009, 5:17 PM
not good news...

dantodd
09-02-2009, 5:23 PM
Maybe after Sotomayor the "loyal opposition" will grow some balls and Bork one on him giving us the liberal equivalent of Souter.

OlderThanDirt
09-02-2009, 5:25 PM
Well, Obama has already nominated a racist Hispanic. What next, a member of the Islamic Brotherhood?

kf6tac
09-02-2009, 5:26 PM
Maybe after Sotomayor the "loyal opposition" will grow some balls and Bork one on him giving us the liberal equivalent of Souter.

Unless the "loyal opposition" can swing a couple from the other side, they don't currently have enough hands on-deck to filibuster a nominee anyway.

nick
09-02-2009, 5:41 PM
Actually, with Kennedy kicking the bucket, they might. The problem is, they likely won't.

kf6tac
09-02-2009, 5:48 PM
Actually, with Kennedy kicking the bucket, they might. The problem is, they likely won't.

Oh, right. Kennedy. Yeah, I'm not crossing my fingers that he'll be replaced by a Heller-friendly junior senator any time soon.

dantodd
09-02-2009, 6:08 PM
Oh, right. Kennedy. Yeah, I'm not crossing my fingers that he'll be replaced by a Heller-friendly junior senator any time soon.

He won't be replaced any time soon regardless as Mass. requires a special election and doesn't permit the Gov. to appoint an interim senator. Still leaves the Dems. with 59. It is a short period of time in which the R's can do something to slow down the steamroller. They have more public opinion on their side right now than ever before, it's likely their last chance at least until the next general election and possibly longer.

Gator Monroe
09-02-2009, 6:18 PM
Obama will get 2 more SCOTUS nominees during his only term in office.

Meplat
09-02-2009, 6:38 PM
Apparently you didn't see the governor of Mass. press conference in which he said he was going to appoint a senator for the interim before the special election so the people of Mass. would not be without representation.:rolleyes:

He won't be replaced any time soon regardless as Mass. requires a special election and doesn't permit the Gov. to appoint an interim senator. Still leaves the Dems. with 59. It is a short period of time in which the R's can do something to slow down the steamroller. They have more public opinion on their side right now than ever before, it's likely their last chance at least until the next general election and possibly longer.

dantodd
09-02-2009, 6:41 PM
Apparently you didn't see the governor of Mass. press conference in which he said he was going to appoint a senator for the interim before the special election so the people of Mass. would not be without representation.:rolleyes:

That would be in violation of state law unless they pushed it through when Sen. Kennedy requested such a month ago.

Dr Rockso
09-02-2009, 6:42 PM
That would be in violation of state law unless they pushed it through when Sen. Kennedy requested such a month ago.
But they never expected it to apply to them, only to the Republicans in case Kerry was elected and the R governor wanted to appoint a R senator.

dexter9659
09-02-2009, 7:17 PM

Dems are not subject to the laws they pass.

Gator Monroe
09-02-2009, 7:27 PM
Dems are not subject to the laws they pass.

= There will be blood .