PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody know what Wolf ammo is non magnetic?

supermario
09-02-2009, 5:02 PM
I know there is the Wolf Classic ammo, the white box and camo box, does anybody know which one is non magnetic? Oh i am looking for 7.62x39 and 5.56 ammo. Thanks everybody for your help.

Scratch705
09-02-2009, 5:11 PM
the black and yellow box. but they are discontinued IIRC, so it will be hard to run into those.

supermario
09-02-2009, 5:12 PM
Aww darn, I wanted to buy some cheap ammo that can be used at the range. Oh well i guess i will keep an eye open. thanks

69Mach1
09-02-2009, 5:31 PM
Aww darn, I wanted to buy some cheap ammo that can be used at the range. Oh well i guess i will keep an eye open. thanks

The new "range safe" x39 is the Yugo that's coming in right now. Lead core with a copper jacket.

nick
09-02-2009, 5:39 PM
Wolf Gold is basically rebranded Prvi Partizan.

Scratch705
09-02-2009, 5:45 PM
wolf gold doesn't have the 7.62x39 according to their site.

Chunky_lover
09-02-2009, 6:59 PM
I have the regular black and white boxes thats non magnetic, I cant remember the exact name but I think it said copper core.

blackberg
09-02-2009, 7:08 PM
the black and yellow boxes pop in once in a while.
and to complicate things even more, last time at Burro, my ammo was tested and some of the 5.56 was and some wasnt, all coming from the regular black boxes.

-bb

aplinker
09-02-2009, 7:10 PM
I called Wolf about this about 18mos ago and was told that copper jacketed bullets (as opposed to their current bi-metal)are being discontinued as an option with steel cased ammo.

*SOME* black box marked "copper jacketed" is non-magnetic *IF* you can find it. Be warned, some is not, though (I bought some that was not).

In other words, you're unlikely to find any, what you do will be old stock and you can't be certain until you test it yourself.

I have the regular black and white boxes thats non magnetic, I cant remember the exact name but I think it said copper core.

It says "copper jacketed."

Chunky_lover
09-02-2009, 7:15 PM
guess I got lucky, got mine earlier this year in .223 I think I got 12 boxes, didnt even know until I tried the magnet.

AlliedArmory
09-02-2009, 7:19 PM
The new "range safe" x39 is the Yugo that's coming in right now. Lead core with a copper jacket.

careful as this stuff is corrosive

Jpach
09-02-2009, 9:56 PM
I called Wolf about this about 18mos ago and was told that copper jacketed bullets (as opposed to their current bi-metal)are being discontinued as an option with steel cased ammo.

*SOME* black box marked "copper jacketed" is non-magnetic *IF* you can find it. Be warned, some is not, though (I bought some that was not).

In other words, you're unlikely to find any, what you do will be old stock and you can't be certain until you test it yourself.

It says "copper jacketed."

Thats pretty strange. I got a bunch of yellow box x39 from Turners earlier this year. They had a **** load of it. I heard the same thing about the copper jacketed ammo being discontinued a while back but then all of a sudden.....Turners gets a crap load and it was on sale.

I figured that the whole discontinued thing was BS but now that Im reading more of these kind of threads...I think Im going to shoot less of my x39 stash from now on.

69Mach1
09-02-2009, 9:58 PM
careful as this stuff is corrosive

Very true, but only mildly corrosive. After shooting about 100 rounds through my Romanian RPK (AES10-B), all I did was run through one wet patch of CLP, wiped the bolt face, and wiped down the piston. I put it back in the safe and checked on it every day. No corrosive effects what so ever.

Here it is. I should mention the casing is brass! Not sure how it's primed though.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/FIVESIXTN/DSC04637.jpg

cjskalka
09-02-2009, 10:22 PM
it is berdan primed, good stuff though!

supermario
09-02-2009, 10:28 PM
Oh yeah, i saw some of this at ammo bros. I was told its corrosive so i avoided it. Well i guess if i just give a wipe down after i will be ok.

blackberg
09-02-2009, 10:34 PM
Thats pretty strange. I got a bunch of yellow box x39 from Turners earlier this year. They had a **** load of it. I heard the same thing about the copper jacketed ammo being discontinued a while back but then all of a sudden.....Turners gets a crap load and it was on sale.

I figured that the whole discontinued thing was BS but now that Im reading more of these kind of threads...I think Im going to shoot less of my x39 stash from now on.

yeah, I remember ucla posting that, but I bought some from ammoman after that, this year.
-bb

AlliedArmory
09-02-2009, 10:58 PM
anyone seen any of the Wolf Yellow Box 7.62x39 at any Turners?

marxdspot
09-02-2009, 11:47 PM
Not for a couple of years...

Burnout
09-03-2009, 2:40 PM
Ammo Bros had a few back/yellow last week, i picked 'em up.

someone is selling 60 boxes in ammo section right now, but hardly cheap - 10$

hack job
09-03-2009, 2:50 PM

I saw some about a month ago there.

gemini1
09-03-2009, 2:50 PM
I got the black/yellow box from Miwal(?) at the last Cow Palance gun show, its the 62 gr hollow point. I just recently found out it was non magnetic because I wondered why the 55 gr black boxed 223 from AIM was making sparks at the back stop at the indoor range while the 62 grs dont, so I tested both when I got home and found out about the yellow/black box.
Still wondering whats causing the sparks though.