PDA

View Full Version : Dumping Microsoft

packnrat
09-02-2009, 5:40 PM
How does one dump the micro soft programs on the hard drive?
Got new laptop a bit back, never have paid the extra moneys for the so called "test" programs. Do not need them, do not want them.
But can use the hard drive space.

Any help from a techi is good.

Scratch705
09-02-2009, 5:45 PM
what microsoft programs?

usually a uninstaller program (not the one built into programs themselves) are good at removing all traces of whatever you want to delete b/c they will also look for registry/system files that a program can leave behind that a program uninstaller doesn't remove.

One warning though is that if you don't know what registry files/system files to touch... just stick to the uninstaller as they would be the safest way to uninstall.

I personally use the Revo Uninstaller, it is free and works for my uses.

packnrat
09-02-2009, 7:46 PM
About all I know of these puters is only not to shoot them.
The programs in question are,
windows liveonecare--always getting in the way
Microsoft works--- need to pay more to use it.
Microsoft office--- pay again.
Vaio help and registration.
Microsoft media player. Maybe keep this one?

not hooked to the web, so no updates needed or wanted.
Keeps changing how the screen looks,
gets in the way of what I want to do, etc.

Would have bought a apple...... But the price...

ldivinag
09-02-2009, 8:12 PM
google and search how to CAREFULLY remove those apps from your computer.

MS made it that some apps depend on some core apps.

window media player is one. plus its much safer that ay... REAL PLAYER.

live one care is their security, IIRC.

works is their cheapie OFFICE.

and OFFICE... well there's open office.

the bove 2 should have uninstallers. the one care i think should also have an uninstaller too.

packnrat
09-02-2009, 9:27 PM
Will look again
but will it remove them or just remove the "door" to the programs??

bigmike82
09-02-2009, 10:58 PM
For Office and works, it'll remove the programs.

For Media Player, it'll probably just remove the part you see and interact with.

And that's a good thing, as removing the underlying functionality could break stuff. Go with WinAmp for your multi-media needs.

DiscoBayJoe
09-02-2009, 11:03 PM
"Format C:", it's very effective at maximizing free space!

freonr22
09-02-2009, 11:29 PM
ccleaner and maywarebytes are both free. I had microsoft ont the phone from india and after 4 hours thats what they used to clean up. they also have program removal features

ocabj
09-02-2009, 11:31 PM

Exactly. Everytime you buy a Windows computer, you should really be wiping the hard drive and installing Windows from scratch anyway so you don't have all that garbage that gets prebundled. Windows uninstallers are horrible when it comes to proper clean up. Sure, it deletes the Program directory, but when was the last time you actually had a Windows uninstaller remove all the registry instances and every DLL it installed that no other program had a dependency on?

Corbin Dallas
09-04-2009, 8:34 AM
As others have said, a fresh install of the MS product is your best bet.

Remove the programs you want carefully as some are interdependent.

As far as windows media player.... DO NOT convert to "Real Player" unless you want a TON of problems.

My suggestion is to google VLC. It is free, open source and plays just about everything out there including .MKV files.

OR, you could wipe the entire hard drive and install ubuntu (lots of online support and a HUGE forum for any help you may need) or my personal favorite Kubuntu (If this is your FIRST Linux experience, go Ubuntu)

www.ubuntu.com

www.kubuntu.org

m4rty
09-04-2009, 9:13 AM
Exactly. Everytime you buy a Windows computer, you should really be wiping the hard drive and installing Windows from scratch anyway so you don't have all that garbage that gets prebundled.

As long as you have installable media that's not solely on the harddrive you just nuked by formatting it. Been there, seen that tons of times when I worked at a local ISP years ago....

5hundo
09-04-2009, 9:47 AM
Get a Mac... ;)

bigmike82
09-04-2009, 12:46 PM
"OR, you could wipe the entire hard drive and install ubuntu (lots of online support and a HUGE forum for any help you may need) or my personal favorite Kubuntu (If this is your FIRST Linux experience, go Ubuntu)"
Don't do this if you want your games to work reliably or correctly. ;)

"Get a Mac..."
Only if you want a toy for a computer.

ocabj
09-04-2009, 1:16 PM
As long as you have installable media that's not solely on the harddrive you just nuked by formatting it. Been there, seen that tons of times when I worked at a local ISP years ago....

If you bought a new computer and they didn't include the media for any bundled applications, either that software application was illegally installed (unlicensed) or trial software. The manufacturer or OEM is supposed to provide the media to install any software that is bundled with the computer.

Flogger23m
09-04-2009, 1:23 PM
For XP:

Start, Run, and type: Msconfig

For Vista:

Windows Icon, Start Search, and type: Msconfig

Disable any program you do not want at start up.

Often times programs install crap on start up without asking you, so after you install a program, always do MSconfig and make sure they put nothing on. If they did, simply uncheck it.

BB63Squid
09-08-2009, 9:00 PM

As far as windows media player.... DO NOT convert to "Real Player" unless you want a TON of problems.

My suggestion is to google VLC. It is free, open source and plays just about everything out there including .MKV files.

K-lite codec pack is also a good install as it will install media player classic w.o all the garbage that the WMP currently has.

Richie Caketown
09-08-2009, 10:22 PM

is this before or after deleting the WIN32 file:43:

jwest
09-15-2009, 1:53 AM
I thought this thread was about dumping the M$ OS.

Since I bothered to read the threads - I will post this:
I am looking forward to the new OS Google is working on...!!!

locosway
09-15-2009, 11:59 PM
http://ubuntu.com is the best tool I know for removing those pesky Microsoft applications.

Digital_Boy
09-16-2009, 12:38 AM
"Get a Mac..."
Only if you want a toy for a computer.

Ah, not so much. For a while, the top end MacBook Pro was the fastest Vista machine on the market, even compared to Dell machines that cost as much or more when fully optioned with processor, RAM, HD, etcetera. Apple has ceded the mid and bottom end market to Dell, HP, Lenovo and company. If you compare a top end Dell to a top end Apple laptop, the prices are pretty close to one another. Apple is raking in so much money from the iPod, iPhone and iTunes that they're not hungry enough, yet, to tackle the mid and low end PC markets, along with the headaches they entail.

One other thing that really seperates Apple from the rest of the pack is their customer service. I know several people personally who have purchased used Apple laptops, and had boards fail on them, that Apple repaired for free, even though the warranty was expired. In some cases, the hardware was obsolete, so Apple replaced their machine with a newer factory refurb, along with a complimentary migration of their existing data and preferences from their old machine to their new one. I don't see Dell or HP going that extra mile to keep the customer happy, unless they pay beaucoup money for an extended service contract.

And now that they've upgraded their OS to a UNIX based platform (OSX is derived from BSD), it's pretty damn solid and secure out of the box. Yes, if you grew up on MS-DOS and Windows, you have to shift your paradigm a bit to get used to the logic of the Mac GUI, and you can call up a real, honest to ghawd UNIX command line anytime you feel like it.

And for purposes of disclosure, I have an HP (more like H-POS) laptop that's work issued, had a Mac Mini doing home theater duties (sold it), and a couple of Windows XP boxes. No Apple PCs in the stable at the moment.

locosway
09-16-2009, 12:46 AM
Ah, not so much. For a while, the top end MacBook Pro was the fastest Vista machine on the market, even compared to Dell machines that cost as much or more when fully optioned with processor, RAM, HD, etcetera. Apple has ceded the mid and bottom end market to Dell, HP, Lenovo and company. If you compare a top end Dell to a top end Apple laptop, the prices are pretty close to one another. Apple is raking in so much money from the iPod, iPhone and iTunes that they're not hungry enough, yet, to tackle the mid and low end PC markets, along with the headaches they entail.

One other thing that really seperates Apple from the rest of the pack is their customer service. I know several people personally who have purchased used Apple laptops, and had boards fail on them, that Apple repaired for free, even though the warranty was expired. In some cases, the hardware was obsolete, so Apple replaced their machine with a newer factory refurb, along with a complimentary migration of their existing data and preferences from their old machine to their new one. I don't see Dell or HP going that extra mile to keep the customer happy, unless they pay beaucoup money for an extended service contract.

And now that they've upgraded their OS to a UNIX based platform (OSX is derived from BSD), it's pretty damn solid and secure out of the box. Yes, if you grew up on MS-DOS and Windows, you have to shift your paradigm a bit to get used to the logic of the Mac GUI, and you can call up a real, honest to ghawd UNIX command line anytime you feel like it.

And for purposes of disclosure, I have an HP (more like H-POS) laptop that's work issued, had a Mac Mini doing home theater duties (sold it), and a couple of Windows XP boxes. No Apple PCs in the stable at the moment.

Being a ex-Mac user and a life long PC user and a Linux Admin for my adult life I'd like to comment.

I too once thought that the prices were the same at the high end. Well, that's not true. My laptop now is a Dell and it cost me $1490 out the door. This is the same price I paid for a MacBook with a 13" screen. Also, my MacBook didn't have a 64bit processor. It only had 2GB of RAM as well. Not to mention the HDD wasn't as big. Oh, and also it didn't have the all important LED backlight for the LCD.

My wife had a Mac and the fan went out inside a week out of warranty. Apple wanted $80 just to look at it and they wouldn't sell me the parts to fix it myself.

Now... Dell has in home service and they'll ship you parts. Not to mention I can buy my Dell with either Windows or Linux which is a huge plus for me.

Apple is great if you're trying to keep up your image of a techy, or if you like throwing money at the problem. The truth is PC's are cheaper, and I can build my own PC if I want.

It's almost like the PC is the AR and the Mac is something else...

ocabj
09-16-2009, 7:41 AM
I prefer using Mac OS X because it works.

I will never go back to Windows for my workstation/laptop if they continue to rehash the NT kernel. Hopefully, Microsoft will build a new OS from scratch and ditch the NT code branch.

I'd use FreeBSD/Linux, but X windows is still clunky to me and the workflow for video/photo editing isn't as solid as the commercial apps in Windows/MacOS.

It's definitely true that straight up for hardware, any Windows laptop/desktop is going to be cheaper than a Mac. But the frustration of having to deal with the inadequacies of Windows adds to the cost of ownership.

As far as out-of-warranty repair, yes, I do agree that a Mac is almost like owning black-box appliance. But there are plenty of resources on the Internet to assist in repairing a Mac. Coming from an EDU, we're always going straight to the OEM for parts, even in out-of-warranty repairs. But most consumers don't follow that stringent requirement and will go to third-party vendors.

Apple doesn't promote a techy image, at least not to me or among my colleagues (Systems Administrators). If anything, Apple is more an image of style and function.

But I'm not going to admonish people for their choice of PC, Mac, Linux, Solaris, FreeBSD, or what not. Pick with what you are willing to work with. I've converted quite a few of my friends to Macs ever since I started using Macs after OS X v 10.0 dropped. All of them still use Macs as their primary.

sfwdiy
09-17-2009, 7:07 PM
Being a ex-Mac user and a life long PC user and a Linux Admin for my adult life I'd like to comment.

I too once thought that the prices were the same at the high end. Well, that's not true. My laptop now is a Dell and it cost me $1490 out the door. This is the same price I paid for a MacBook with a 13" screen. Also, my MacBook didn't have a 64bit processor. It only had 2GB of RAM as well. Not to mention the HDD wasn't as big. Oh, and also it didn't have the all important LED backlight for the LCD.

My wife had a Mac and the fan went out inside a week out of warranty. Apple wanted $80 just to look at it and they wouldn't sell me the parts to fix it myself.

Now... Dell has in home service and they'll ship you parts. Not to mention I can buy my Dell with either Windows or Linux which is a huge plus for me.

Apple is great if you're trying to keep up your image of a techy, or if you like throwing money at the problem. The truth is PC's are cheaper, and I can build my own PC if I want.

It's almost like the PC is the AR and the Mac is something else...

The higher price of the Mac is to cover the service you get with it. I can completely understand that technically oriented users have no need for most of this service. For the average end-user it's very helpful. Name one other OEM that has retail locations where you can get a consultation with a factory trained technician for just about any issue for free.

Again, if you're not the type that needs the help, the extra cost seems like a ripoff. It's a huge amount of added value for the majority of users, who are by-and-large non-technical.

Apple parts can be bought online for almost any computer they make from a number of different sources. One thing I would caution is that Macs, especially laptops, are rife with engineering and construction idiosyncrasies that are totally unapparent unless you read the service manuals. I've seen experienced PC techs do huge amounts of damage to Mac laptops just trying to get them open.

--B

locosway
09-17-2009, 7:16 PM
Yeah, I tried opening my wifes and no matter how many screws I removed it wouldn't come apart. I bought her a PC instead...

Dell has awesome service, but they don't have a *cough* genius bar I can go to for *cough* expert advice. However, if you really want to talk to a customer service rep who knows their stuff, call in to the Linux server support guys at Dell, they'll really talk you in circles... :)

sfwdiy
09-17-2009, 7:24 PM
...if you really want to talk to a customer service rep who knows their stuff, call in to the Linux server support guys at Dell, they'll really talk you in circles... :)

I don't doubt it. :D

If you need any help pulling apart that Mac, shoot me a message. I fix 'em for a living.

--B

locosway
09-17-2009, 7:34 PM
Yeah, I don't know where it is now but it's fairly new. 64bit Duo processor with 2gb's ram and so on. My wife would like it better than her HP which is total crap!

If you can, never buy HP, they are the worst!

packnrat
09-17-2009, 7:57 PM
don't you need to know programing to use these??

OR, you could wipe the entire hard drive and install ubuntu (lots of online support and a HUGE forum for any help you may need) or my personal favorite Kubuntu (If this is your FIRST Linux experience, go Ubuntu)

www.ubuntu.com

www.kubuntu.org

locosway
09-17-2009, 8:06 PM
VLC? No, it's just a video player.

Linux? No, it's just an Operating System.

As someone said, Ubuntu is a great flavor of Linux. Mint Linux is also another great flavor based on Ubuntu.

If you have any OSS or Linux questions feel free to ask.

jmlivingston
09-17-2009, 11:42 PM
If you bought a new computer and they didn't include the media for any bundled applications, either that software application was illegally installed (unlicensed) or trial software. The manufacturer or OEM is supposed to provide the media to install any software that is bundled with the computer.

Used to be the case, but not any more. Most tier-1 manufacturers now have the ISO's on the hard drive and you create your own recovery disks. They do this for the operating system as well as any pre-installed applications. It's done this way to keep costs down.

John

locosway
09-17-2009, 11:45 PM
They do this because Windows isn't worth the $.05 the CD costs... It's also a great incentive to install Linux when you get a virus after being on the internet for a few minutes.

Blackhawk556
09-21-2009, 11:16 AM

I wouldn't say it's really secure :rolleyes:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=3474

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/09/security-snow-leopard/

JDay
09-22-2009, 1:10 AM
Start, Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs.

Sinixstar
09-28-2009, 12:33 AM
About all I know of these puters is only not to shoot them.
The programs in question are,
windows liveonecare--always getting in the way
Microsoft works--- need to pay more to use it.
Microsoft office--- pay again.
Vaio help and registration.
Microsoft media player. Maybe keep this one?

not hooked to the web, so no updates needed or wanted.
Keeps changing how the screen looks,
gets in the way of what I want to do, etc.

Would have bought a apple...... But the price...

Live One Care can be disabled in the control panel I believe, or just flat out uninstalled.
Works - uninstall it.
office uninstall it
Vaio help and registration - honestly, you might want to leave that one. MFGs tend to load their computers with applications that tie in to the system (sketchy) and sometimes removing them causes unwanted consequences. This isn't an MS thing - it's a sony thing.
Media player - leave it. It does come in handy, and it gets used in the background more then you'd think - especially for streaming video on the web.

locosway
09-28-2009, 12:35 AM
Openoffice.org is a good office suite and it reads Microsoft files.

pingpong
09-29-2009, 12:12 AM
Step one: Start->Run->type in cmd->type in 'format c:'
Step two: Install Gentoo.
Step three: Cry for a few hours
Step four: Reinstall Gentoo
Step five: Develop of an alcohol problem
Step six: Cry some more
Step seven: Give up and install Ubuntu
Step eight: Wonder why you ever tried to install Gentoo in the first place