PDA

View Full Version : How specific are the model variations on the CA-approved handgun list?

TonyNorCal
02-19-2005, 5:46 AM
I'm interested in buying a Smith and Wesson Model 65 from someone out of state. Theirs is Model 65-4. The approved list has 65-7. Same gun. Both stainless, 4 inch barrels. Go or no-go?

TonyNorCal
02-19-2005, 5:46 AM
I'm interested in buying a Smith and Wesson Model 65 from someone out of state. Theirs is Model 65-4. The approved list has 65-7. Same gun. Both stainless, 4 inch barrels. Go or no-go?

bwiese
02-19-2005, 6:46 AM
I don't think this is gonna fly; with the sub-version of the model actually specified on the CA list, no FFL is gonna want to bend the rules and risk his CA authorization.

Only way to get this gun is via PPT (private party transfer mediated via FFL) from a CA resident (or someone who comes in and becomes a CA resident).

Bill Wiese
San Jose

PKAY
02-21-2005, 4:04 PM
That's one of the problems S&W has with respect to sales in CA. They clearly indicate the engineering release of all their model numbered revos, i.e. "29-2, 25-6, 686-5, etc.". Other manufacturers don't do this. A Glock Model 17 is just that, a model 17. S&W could, I suppose, eliminate such a designation on an "approved" revo just for CA so future engineering changes would still qualify without retesting, but i don't believe they will.

bwiese
02-21-2005, 4:20 PM
I've always wondered what will happen if DOJ notices that there have been three generations of Glocks - or if Glock comes up with another redesign (i.e., Gen IV) yet still calls the gun the same Glock 17 or 19 or 21 etc. and does not submit the new tweaked design for approval yet sells it in CA.

These various Glock gens weren't cosmetic changes either, but substantive engineering redesigns. Prob much more so than the (relatively) slight changes in common S&W wheelguns over the past few yrs.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

bear
02-23-2005, 4:30 PM
That would imply that someone at the DOJ really knows about firearms!