PDA

View Full Version : ccw reciprocity!

Big Jake
09-02-2009, 3:49 PM
With the state of Nebraska recently passing reciprocity legislation I got to thinking about which permits are good in what states so I decided to do a little research on the ccw permits that I have and which states they are valid in.

To begin with I have the following six non-resident ccw permits...

1. Conneticut
2. Florida
3. Utah
4. Nevada
5. Maine
6. New Hampshire

With these six permits you can ccw in thirty-six states. (Unfortunately, California not one of them!) Obviously, the states that someone can ccw in is dependent upon which permits they have. I typed up a list that some of you may find helpful.

I got all of my information from www.handgunlaw.us I hope this is usefull to you guys/girls! The attachement is a Microsoft word file.:)

Fire in the Hole
09-02-2009, 4:35 PM
My wife has 9 including OR, which will issue to Californians, Washingtonians, Idahoans, and Nevadans.

Fjold
09-02-2009, 4:53 PM
Remember that some states don't recognize any non-resident CCWs even if they recognize resident's CCWs from the same state.

The one's in yellow below: (It's funny that Florida doesn't recognize non-resident CCWs except the ones that they issue).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/Guns/HonorsinstateCCWsonly-2.gif

Big Jake
09-02-2009, 5:55 PM
My wife has 9 including OR, which will issue to Californians, Washingtonians, Idahoans, and Nevadans.

I would be interested in finding out which of the Sheriff's dept. in Oregon are pretty close to "Shall Issue" for California residents as I would like to get an Oregon ccw.

8-Ball
09-02-2009, 5:59 PM
I understand that Kansas may, if they haven't already, eliminate the non-resident restriction...

Big Jake
09-02-2009, 6:10 PM
I understand that Kansas may, if they haven't already, eliminate the non-resident restriction...

They already have. They recognize Utah and Florida I think.

Fire in the Hole
09-02-2009, 7:32 PM
Yeah that map has been recently updated to remove KA and WV from not recognizing out of state CCW unless the holder is from that state. My wife got hers last year from Klamath County, OR. Extreme south central county. Very cooperative helpful and friendly. They will send you the app. You need to write a GC, and return it to them in person, where they do it just like NV from that point, except you don't have to go through their training course.

Fire in the Hole
09-03-2009, 6:38 PM
Handgunlaw.com today finally got ther map and cross reference information up to date.

Big Jake
09-03-2009, 7:00 PM
Yeah that map has been recently updated to remove KA and WV from not recognizing out of state CCW unless the holder is from that state. My wife got hers last year from Klamath County, OR. Extreme south central county. Very cooperative helpful and friendly. They will send you the app. You need to write a GC, and return it to them in person, where they do it just like NV from that point, except you don't have to go through their training course.

what type of good cause will they accept? Is personal protection enough as that is all I really have!:confused:

Gary Slider
09-03-2009, 7:05 PM
The Map from Handgunlaw.us is an old one from a few months ago. KS and WV now accept non resident permits. Maine has reciprocity with 3 states and they are saying they will only honor resident permits from the states they honor. If you want to see the correct map on what states only honor Resident permits just go to www.handgunlaw.us and the map is on the main page.

Fire in the Hole
09-03-2009, 7:19 PM
It's a state of the art website Gary. Keep up the good work. My wife keeps a folded up copy of the "Build a map" and the two pages of all 50 states indicating what other states they have reciprocity with. She keeps it behind her CCW permits.

Fire in the Hole
09-03-2009, 7:22 PM
what type of good cause will they accept? Is personal protection enough as that is all I really have!:confused:

It's a little bit more than that. But now where near what CA requires. She wrote her's up on one page on a Word document, and left a palce atg the bottom for her signature and date, and submitted it as an attachemet. You can PM me if you want, and we can go over some quick Q&A for you.

sorensen440
09-03-2009, 7:22 PM
Ive got UT and AZ

Fjold
09-03-2009, 7:36 PM
Fixed the Map, thanks

I keep the CA reciprocity map with my permit also.

Gryff
09-03-2009, 11:29 PM
Shame that Nevada stopped honoring Utah and Florida's permit. The reasoning for dropping Florida reciprocity is cheesy (Florida's is two years longer than Nevada's).

Big Jake
09-04-2009, 6:29 AM
Shame that Nevada stopped honoring Utah and Florida's permit. The reasoning for dropping Florida reciprocity is cheesy (Florida's is two years longer than Nevada's).

And Utah's has no live qualifying requirement, which Nevada does. I got my Nevada about a month ago and I am glad I did as I got hasseled last year for ccw on my other permits while I was in Las Vegas.

Clark county never liked the reciprocity law because it was more difficult for LEO to verify Utah/Florida permit. They had to call to verify validity as where if you have Nevada ccw they can simply run it on their car computer.

That is what they told me! :mad:

Gryff
09-04-2009, 6:41 AM
And Utah's has no live qualifying requirement, which Nevada does.

That I understand because that's a pretty significant difference in qualification process. But dumping Florida because it's a 7-year permit versus Nevada's 5-year permit, that's really an insignificant difference.

frankzy
09-06-2009, 1:07 PM
If California can pass all the ballot stuff from pot to gays. We the people of California need to pass a ballot initiative for ccw permits. I spoke with a retired Santa Clara County Sheriff officer and he supports ccw's. He wishes more people would get them, but the Sheriff's office does not have the time / money / resources to have such a program. He / she also stated that the system for ccw's in California is old and outdated. It comes from a time when the Sheriff and police knew everyone in their town. A ballot initiative is the only way California's will ever have a decent ccw program. Then maybe we can also get rid of waiting periods, and hand gun safety cards for ccw holders and other restrictions for purchasing firearms in the state. Should all be done in one well written initiative, because our politicians have no balls nor make any effort to protect our right to bear arms in this state.

Librarian
09-06-2009, 1:22 PM
Sorry - California ballot initiatives were taken over by corporate interests in about 1980. These days it takes million$ to get the signatures and ten$ of million$ to get the advertising out enough to pass such a thing.

Since, at best, most Californians are indifferent to CCW, and most live in the anti-gun media markets of SF/SJ and LA, the votes just are not there.

Look up the history of ballot initiatives at the Secretary of State's web site, http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/elections_j.htm

ETA and I just re-found my post on the subject from February:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=156804

caoboy
09-07-2009, 1:50 PM
It's a shame...look at all those shall issue states.

I wonder though...if there was a vote to make EVERY state SHALL ISSUE, would the votes come out the same?

Librarian
09-07-2009, 3:36 PM
It's a shame...look at all those shall issue states.

I wonder though...if there was a vote to make EVERY state SHALL ISSUE, would the votes come out the same?

Take the issue Federally? I expect that has no chance at all.

MP301
09-07-2009, 10:57 PM
That I understand because that's a pretty significant difference in qualification process. But dumping Florida because it's a 7-year permit versus Nevada's 5-year permit, that's really an insignificant difference.

Yeah, I thought so too, but I was told the reasoning behind it was that Nevada wants people carrying guns to have a background as often as they require thier own residents to have one...which, if you think about it, makes sense...

Kurt Gepke
09-07-2009, 11:14 PM

The State Attorney General decides yearly which states will have reciprocity with Nevada. It's a political move. Our current AG is NOT gun friendly and so her office actively seeks reasons to void former agreements.

It also stems from the Nevada Sheriffs and Chiefs Association and especially from Doug Gillespie in Las Vegas who is not particularly CCW friendly.

So........end result is that once again, Clark County libs get their way. Now Metro doesn't have to contend with as many armed citizens.
You guys getting the point yet?

KG

gotgunz
09-07-2009, 11:59 PM
Is it just me or do the people that collect CCW's give you a reason to pause?

I mean why would somebody need 9 ccw's?

I can see Fla. (I have one but I also have family & a home there), Nevada (especially now that my Fla. is no good there anymore) or even the Utah (gets you Washington state) or Oregon but some people seem to be obsessed with it.

caoboy
09-08-2009, 1:58 AM
Is it just me or do the people that collect CCW's give you a reason to pause?

I mean why would somebody need 9 ccw's?

I can see Fla. (I have one but I also have family & a home there), Nevada (especially now that my Fla. is no good there anymore) or even the Utah (gets you Washington state) or Oregon but some people seem to be obsessed with it.

Example:

You own a jewelry business, travel all across the USA buying/selling jewelry.

Doing that, you probably carry large amounts of money/collateral, and probably want to carry personal protection as well.

Certain states acknowledge certain permits, and since some states don't acknowledge others, getting permits that those they do recognize allows you to carry in most, if not all, states.

Does that work?

Just because you have a ccw in a certain state, doesn't mean you carry everywhere.

Just because you have a resident permit in one state, doesn't mean every state recognizes that certain permit.

Therefore, non resident permits, allow you to carry in those states that don't recognize your state's permit/other states that do recognize the non resident ltc.

Big Jake
09-08-2009, 2:19 PM
I have six ccw and I have used them all as I travel a lot. The amount of ccw one has is unimportant as long as you qualify for them then it should not matter the quantity!

gotgunz
09-09-2009, 12:19 AM
Example:

You own a jewelry business, travel all across the USA buying/selling jewelry.

Doing that, you probably carry large amounts of money/collateral, and probably want to carry personal protection as well.

Certain states acknowledge certain permits, and since some states don't acknowledge others, getting permits that those they do recognize allows you to carry in most, if not all, states.

Does that work?

Just because you have a ccw in a certain state, doesn't mean you carry everywhere.

Just because you have a resident permit in one state, doesn't mean every state recognizes that certain permit.

Therefore, non resident permits, allow you to carry in those states that don't recognize your state's permit/other states that do recognize the non resident ltc.

No really? :rolleyes:

As stated: I have a Florida ccw, I have a California ccw, I will soon need to get a Nevada ccw (due to the change by Nevada no longer honoring Florida).

I am fully aware of ccw reciprocity across the nation and with the ccw's I mentioned you can pretty much carry everywhere.

What I am saying is step back and take an unbiased view (if that is even possible) of the image projected by people that are "collecting" ccw's just because they can.

caoboy
09-09-2009, 12:32 AM
No really? :rolleyes:

As stated: I have a Florida ccw, I have a California ccw, I will soon need to get a Nevada ccw (due to the change by Nevada no longer honoring Florida).

I am fully aware of ccw reciprocity across the nation and with the ccw's I mentioned you can pretty much carry everywhere.

What I am saying is step back and take an unbiased view (if that is even possible) of the image projected by people that are "collecting" ccw's just because they can.

Don't mean to say you are calling the kettle black, but aren't you 'collecting' CCW's?

gotgunz
09-09-2009, 1:59 AM
Don't mean to say you are calling the kettle black, but aren't you 'collecting' CCW's?

That is funny......... I live in California so I have a ccw here; I am originally from Florida and I have family there & I own a home there so I have a Florida ccw (which used to be good in Nevada which I travel to frequently).

Now that Nevada does not honor the Fla ccw & I travel there often I need one so I can carry there (if I find it to be that important).

Having 2 (or 3) ccw's is nowhere near collecting as somebody who has 9.

Get real.

Knauga
09-09-2009, 10:36 AM
I guess if you don't need to travel to other states you don't need em. I have my California CCW, but I'll be getting a Utah one shortly because I will be making a road trip in about 8 months to Arkansas. California is accepted in a couple of the states I have to drive through, but Utah is accepted by ALL of them.

Kurt Gepke
09-19-2009, 7:06 PM
I would be interested in finding out which of the Sheriff's dept. in Oregon are pretty close to "Shall Issue" for California residents as I would like to get an Oregon ccw.

Jake,
To the best of my understanding, the rule of thumb for Oregon non res permits is that you need to reside in an adjacent county or show that you either do business in Oregon or spend enough time there to warrant the permit.

Things could have changed over the past few years, but I couldn't get one when I had a CA permit in San Diego or with my Nevada permit.

I'd like to know what the real deal is nowadays. I have family in WA and I would like to cut through Oregon to the coast instead of going up through Idaho and across WA to Tacoma.

I usually fly these days, but I would like to have the option.

KG

leitung
09-19-2009, 11:10 PM
I have a Maine Permit, and I plan on getting my Nevada, Utah, California, & Florida permits here next month (21 yay!)

Almost nationwide carry there, at least in all of the states I plan on going to..